Site Announcements

View the results of the New Wave Outpost 20th Anniversary Top Songs Poll here:
http://www.nwoutpost.com/poll/results

Coming Soon: Top Albums Poll. Stay tuned!

Welcome to the new forum!
If you are a previously registered user, you must do the following:

1) Click on 'I forgot my password' at the login prompt
2) Enter your username and email you registered with and submit
3) You will receive an email with an activation link. Please click it and then log in using the random password provided
4) Go to your User Control Panel and click on the Profile tab
5) Click on 'Edit Account Settings' and enter your new password twice followed by the random password provided earlier. Click Submit.
6) That's it...you're back in! You may have to log in again with your new password.

If you forgot your email address, please email me (MikeP) at: mikepaulsen12@gmail.com

Note: you must now use bb code buttons in the Post form for embedded images, YouTube videos, etc.
For example, to post embedded YouTube videos: paste in the link (e.g., http://www.youtube.com/watch?XYZ1234567), highlight it and then click the YouTube button.

Franz Ferdinand - Franz Ferdinand

Discussions about the new generations of bands influenced by '80s New Wave and Postpunk

Franz Ferdinand - Franz Ferdinand

Postby lbworshiper » Tue May 31, 2005 3:30 pm

Just when I thought I'd be getting sick of the present day's "they sound old, so they must be good" trend, along comes Glasgow's Franz Ferdinand. Injecting tons of old-time fun and dancability into their rock, Franz Ferdinand are giving the music scene something clever that's so enjoyable you can't help but smile when you hear it.

You know you're in for a fun time when Jacqueline kicks off the album by proclaiming, "It's always better on holiday/ That's why we only work when we need the money." The fun just keeps on rolling. First single Take Me Out is absolutely addictive with its marching beat and nifty guitar riffs. This Fire is one of the album's most anthemic numbers. The energetic chorus of "This fire is out of control/ We're gonna burn this city/ Burn this city" could be an effective way to breathe life into a fading party. In fact, this entire self-titled album makes for good party music, so long as your guests are fairly open-minded and don't need thumping bass to get down.

The Dark of the Matinee continues the catchiness with a chorus that's sure to get your body moving. This is the most British-sounding track on the album, and that's what gives The Dark of the Matinee some added charm. However, that British charm lasts throughout the album, making you feel like you're listening to something out of England 30 or 40 years ago. Though for some reason, the old-school feeling doesn't seem forced. It's a fine line to walk on, and many bands cross to the wrong side. But Franz Ferdinand somehow manage to sound comfortable in their retro sound.

The album is mostly about rocking, but one of its strengths is the subtle use of dance beats. Nothing too heavy but enough to keep you in a dancing mood. Auf Achse employs those subtle beats to perfection; you know they're there, but they don't overpower the rock.

Every single track on this album is enjoyable. While the speedy Cheating On You is the perfect length, I find myself wanting more out of Tell Her Tonight, a sweet track strengthened by smooth background vocals. Michael and Darts of Pleasure ("You can feel my lips undress your eyes") exhibit the album's swaggering sexiness while retaining its overall liveliness. Even Come On Home and 40' can wind down the album with slower tempos and more soothing vocals, but they can't keep you from feeling groovy until it's all over.

This album contains no filler. Just eleven tracks of solid rock. Franz Ferdinand has a clearly retro sound, but they don't come off as gimmicky. Their music has a genuine feel to it, and, equally essential, they're very talented. It will make you dance. It will make you rock out with your bad self. Simply put, this music will make you feel cool. And that is one of the best things a rock record can do.
lbworshiper
Take On Me

Postby hexicon » Tue May 31, 2005 11:54 pm

Plus: They're hot! [:p][:p][:p]
hexicon
Room at the Top

Postby MARV » Wed Jun 01, 2005 2:20 am

hex, you're too much, lol [:D]

I'll have to check them out lb, thanks !
MARV
Room at the Top

Return to Next Wave