Site Announcements

View the results of the New Wave Outpost 20th Anniversary Top Songs Poll here:
http://www.nwoutpost.com/poll/results

Coming Soon: Top Albums Poll. Stay tuned!

Welcome to the new forum!
If you are a previously registered user, you must do the following:

1) Click on 'I forgot my password' at the login prompt
2) Enter your username and email you registered with and submit
3) You will receive an email with an activation link. Please click it and then log in using the random password provided
4) Go to your User Control Panel and click on the Profile tab
5) Click on 'Edit Account Settings' and enter your new password twice followed by the random password provided earlier. Click Submit.
6) That's it...you're back in! You may have to log in again with your new password.

If you forgot your email address, please email me (MikeP) at: mikepaulsen12@gmail.com

Note: you must now use bb code buttons in the Post form for embedded images, YouTube videos, etc.
For example, to post embedded YouTube videos: paste in the link (e.g., http://www.youtube.com/watch?XYZ1234567), highlight it and then click the YouTube button.

Get Behind Me Satan - The White Stripes

Discussions about the new generations of bands influenced by '80s New Wave and Postpunk

Get Behind Me Satan - The White Stripes

Postby lbworshiper » Sun Jun 05, 2005 10:34 pm

I just received my pre-ordered copy of the White Stripes new album! Always been a fan of this wonderful duo!

This is the fifth studio album from Jack and Meg White, the Detroit pairing of no confirmed relationship. It continues their mission for world domination and is not only the follow up to their best selling 'Elephant' album but also their live DVD 'Under Blackpool Lights', which saw them perform at the popular British Holiday resort. I put the CD on with slight anticipation. After the last two albums, both brilliant in their own way, would they change direction a bit or would it be a little bit similar? I wasn't disappointed.

The album kicks off with lead single 'Blue Orchid', which bears the traditional White Stripes sound. Jack thrashes out power chords and simple riffs from his guitar while Meg goes about her usual business of thrashing out a half- decent rhythm. It's Jack's falsetto vocals, however that make it worthy of being the first single and lead track on the CD.

'The Nurse' sees them turn to experimentation with instruments, the first one you hear being a glockenspiel (although it could be a xylophone). It's a very different sound to previous albums, and it can't even be compared to the better known works. Its simplicity shines, although in other ways, such as Jack's multiple vocal tracks, it is overproduced compared to earlier efforts.

Then it’s on to 'My Doorbell', a very catchy tune which features short bursts of piano and a variety of hooks.

A beautiful ballad, though, is 'Forever For Her (Is Over For Me)'. Again the full emotion of the song comes through on a piano track and White's heart-wrenching vocals. This couldn't be more of a contrast to the next track; 'Little Ghost', an out-and-out hoedown, but it has to bee seen whether or not it will revolutionise the world of line-dancing. All it's missing is the obligatory 'Yee-hah!' from one of the backing ensemble. I'm not a huge fan of country music, but it's only a bit of fun and a great track, especially at the point it slows down and the harmonies kick in.

'The Denial Twist' would be one of the highlights, were it not for Meg's relentless tambourine playing. It just needs- heaven forbid- a bit more bass. I know, I've said the dreaded B-word now, but not necessarily a guitar, just something different from Meg would be nice at this stage. That's my only complaint.

'White Moon' is another piano-riddled ballad with obvious sections of light and shade, nicely illustrated by Meg in the usual way.

The groovy 'Instinct Blues' is one of the tracks that returns to the days of 'De Stijl' as they go back to their bluesy roots, with vocal and guitar call and response style of playing.

Then Meg gets her two-cents worth, quite literally I expect with the thirty-second burst of 'Passive Manipulation'. There's no reason for this track being here, I think it's nice to give Meg a song or two on the album but thirty-six seconds doesn't constitute a song in my opinion.

One of the stand-outs is 'Take, Take, Take', Jack's story of a fan who, upon meeting his heroine (In this case, the actress Rita Hayworth) finds his admiration going out of control. The tag-line 'It was all that I needed' works well with a song that has been described as a version of Eminem's stalker-tale 'Stan'. And just in case we're finding it a bit boring after a while, which I'm certainly not, Jack plays with the 'Pan' knob and swaps his voice between speakers.

'As Ugly As I Seem' is a great chance for Jack to shine on his guitar, and even Meg doesn't go anywhere near a cymbal for the whole number. It's the White Stripes at the musical best; even Jack's voice holds up nicely.

'Red Rain' is the complete contrast and features them doing what they enjoy most, thrashing out guitars, smashing up cymbals and singing in a slightly-too-high pitched voice. It's OK but nothing particularly new.

Another ballad to finish off with 'I'm Lonely' is a really gorgeous song, backed by more of Jack's much-improved piano playing, which could almost be sung in a cabaret lounge or country club.

This album is a much more polished affair than the White Stripes previous albums but that coincides with the maturity with which most of this album has been written.
lbworshiper
Take On Me

Return to Next Wave