Site Announcements

View the results of the New Wave Outpost 20th Anniversary Top Songs Poll here:
http://www.nwoutpost.com/poll/results

Coming Soon: Top Albums Poll. Stay tuned!

Welcome to the new forum!
If you are a previously registered user, you must do the following:

1) Click on 'I forgot my password' at the login prompt
2) Enter your username and email you registered with and submit
3) You will receive an email with an activation link. Please click it and then log in using the random password provided
4) Go to your User Control Panel and click on the Profile tab
5) Click on 'Edit Account Settings' and enter your new password twice followed by the random password provided earlier. Click Submit.
6) That's it...you're back in! You may have to log in again with your new password.

If you forgot your email address, please email me (MikeP) at: mikepaulsen12@gmail.com

Note: you must now use bb code buttons in the Post form for embedded images, YouTube videos, etc.
For example, to post embedded YouTube videos: paste in the link (e.g., http://www.youtube.com/watch?XYZ1234567), highlight it and then click the YouTube button.

SHARE: 7" collections - Thompson Twins

Discuss hard-to-find or out-of-print New Wave and '80s Alternative, and share a few songs along the way.
NOTE: requesting songs that are entirely unrelated to the genres discussed here or easily found on CD is strongly discouraged and posts will be enforced as needed.

Re: SHARE: 7" collections - ABC

Postby Passing_Stranger » Mon Sep 19, 2022 10:15 am

Thank you for the nice replies, guys!

jmazbass wrote:Just curious, did you pull the King without a Crown from the UK CD single? I believe that is the only version with the alternate arrangement. I'm not sure if it's officially considered a 7" single mix, but it's definitely an alternate version different than the album. The UK Detroit Mix 12" of When Smokey Sings also has an alternate version of "When Smokey Sings" with a different middle 8 and other differences.

I did indeed used a UK CD single (well, the rip of it I found). As yet, I'm not that familiar with ABC's fourth album so didn't know that it was different. Had the impression they used album versions by that point but apparently not.

Thank you for taking the time to upload "Billionaire", at least I can listen to it just to know what it is :D Hopefully I'll be able to rip my 7" soon, and will upload the track ASAP.
Passing_Stranger
Room at the Top

Re: SHARE: 7" collections - Talk Talk

Postby Passing_Stranger » Mon Sep 19, 2022 5:24 pm

Another Monday, another collection. This time it's Talk Talk - one of the most intriguing bands of their era, their creative evolution is really something else (I'm not that fond of it myself, but can clearly see why people are stunned). Thankfully they're nicely represented on CD, so it wasn't too hard to compile this one. I, of course, used their marvelous "Asides besides" compilation for B-sides, while A-sides came mostly from "The very best of TT" (1997) while I also used a couple of other compilations for the rest. For 1990-91 reissue singles I used the original CD releases while additional 7"s came from vinyl rips. Thankfully there are no great leaps in sound quality here too.

This, however, is the second of my "faulty collections". It lacks a longer version of "Mirror man" that was a B-side to "Talk talk" reissue in Autumn 1982. It's only 10 or so seconds long and therefore slipped through the cracks on reissues (crazy thing but "Mirror man" is never on any TT compilation! Is there any reason for such harsh treatment or their first single?). So if anyone has a rip of it, please do share, I'm sure we all be grateful for that! :)

Link: https://mega.nz/folder/mxNTHZxR#_YKupfVPYw6k_A1GiEug2Q

Enjoy!
Last edited by Passing_Stranger on Wed Sep 28, 2022 10:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Passing_Stranger
Room at the Top

Postby WLR » Tue Sep 20, 2022 12:37 am

Talk Talk, a vastly underrated band, I preferred their synthpop material, couldn't get into their later albums at all, their debut album "The Party's Over" is a masterpiece and one of my all time favourite albums, every track is brilliant, this is an awesome collection you have put together, so thank you.
WLR
The Jet Set

Postby Rissan » Wed Sep 21, 2022 10:35 pm

Nice bundle of singles Passing Stranger. but the Dutch single Tomorrow Started (live) is missing.

Tomorrow Started (live): https://www.discogs.com/master/164409-T ... arted-Live

see: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=44113

BTW the Mirror Man version on the Talk Talk single of 1982 (https://www.discogs.com/release/2074521 ... -Talk-Talk) is the album version.
Rissan
The Jet Set

Postby Passing_Stranger » Sun Sep 25, 2022 11:37 am

Rissan wrote:Nice bundle of singles Passing Stranger. but the Dutch single Tomorrow Started (live) is missing.

BTW the Mirror Man version on the Talk Talk single of 1982 (https://www.discogs.com/release/2074521 ... -Talk-Talk) is the album version.

First, let me repeat my thanks to you for the single (and reminding me of it) :) Next, you link to the US release of "Talk talk" which indeed had LP versions on both sides. But the second UK release of the song was a remix by Rhett Davies, and the B-side version of "Mirror man" is a longer take. I guess it's just an LP version with longer ending, but anyway I'd love a rip of it, if anyone has it, just to complete the collection. Damn annoying when only one song is missing!
Last edited by Passing_Stranger on Thu Dec 22, 2022 2:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Passing_Stranger
Room at the Top

Postby Passing_Stranger » Sun Sep 25, 2022 12:03 pm

WLR wrote:Talk Talk, a vastly underrated band, I preferred their synthpop material, couldn't get into their later albums at all, their debut album "The Party's Over" is a masterpiece and one of my all time favourite albums, every track is brilliant, this is an awesome collection you have put together, so thank you.

Thank you WLR! I myself wouldn't classify Talk Talk as such as underrated, it's more like their earlier works are underrated, denigrated and even sneered at. The band seems to have been abducted by hordes of "difficult music" fans :D Whereas I find it's on those that the band really shone. I agree, the debut is stellar, and "It's my life" is not far behind. "The colour of spring" has its moments, but the "difficultness" crept in already and it's really boring on quite a few songs. In fact some B-sides like "Pictures of Bernadette" are much stronger and would really grace an LP instead of being wasted on a flop 7"s. Oh well. After that I find their works practically unlistenable.
Passing_Stranger
Room at the Top

Postby AJWAVE » Mon Sep 26, 2022 5:08 am

Thank you Passing Stranger.
I wonder what band will follow next?
Are you going to start screwing over Redo like you screwed over MSK with your endless requests? what an idiot you turned out to be MATT
AJWAVE
Room at the Top

Re: SHARE: 7" collections - Soft Cell

Postby Passing_Stranger » Mon Sep 26, 2022 5:37 am

Thank you for the feedback, guys! As for the question posted right above, it's answered right here :D Soft Cell were always an intriguing proposition though I found myself being rather picky about their stuff (mainly to vocal side of the things, but not only). Still, most of it is great so I long wanted to create such a collection for them. And recently I did :) Their late 1990s CD reissues were of great help, rounding up most of 7" versions (though why they left off "A man can get lost" is a mystery, the song's dynamite!). It's the albums from 1983-84 I had most trouble with but all turned out fine in the end. I also used some vinyl rips (the last folder, for example), but that didn't hurt the overall quality (and you can always discard the supplements and stick with the main collection :) ). I also decided to have some fun and made two spoof 7"s - you'll see which ones. Hopefully no-one will be thrown off!

Again a faulty collection, though. As any fan knows already, instrumental of "Say hello wave goodbye" is never on any CD of SC. Why is that I cannot fathom but here we are. I once tried to rip my 7" of the single but the B-side is too crackly. And I could never find a good vinyl rip, all of them are noisy which jars with the overall quality of the collection. So if anyone has a decent clean version please do get in touch. Oh, and if anyone's willing to share the remix of "Loving you hating me" from the double 7" of "Soul inside" then I can create a 2x7" folder instead of a simple 7" one. So reaching out for your help!

Link: https://mega.nz/folder/O41T1CLJ#33CXwtte2EZI8LLgv2fXng

Enjoy!

P.S. Oh yes, the collection sticks to major label stuff mostly. That means their indie 7" EP from 1980 is missing - but I can add it if there's a demand, of course. Though, remembering the Blancmange post, no-one even mentioned it so maybe not :D
Passing_Stranger
Room at the Top

Postby retromusic » Mon Sep 26, 2022 11:28 am

Many thanks, V.
Sterling effort on all of these 7" collections. Great to have them all in the one folder. :)
retromusic
Personal Jesus

Postby WLR » Tue Sep 27, 2022 1:57 am

Passing_Stranger wrote:Thank you for the feedback, guys! As for the question posted right above, it's answered right here :D Soft Cell were always an intriguing proposition though I found myself being rather picky about their stuff (mainly to vocal side of the things, but not only). Still, most of it is great so I long wanted to create such a collection for them. And recently I did :) Their late 1990s CD reissues were of great help, rounding up most of 7" versions (though why they left off "A man can get lost" is a mystery, the song's dynamite!). It's the albums from 1983-84 I had most trouble with but all turned out fine in the end. I also used some vinyl rips (the last folder, for example), but that didn't hurt the overall quality (and you can always discard the supplements and stick with the main collection :) ). I also decided to have some fun and made two spoof 7"s - you'll see which ones. Hopefully no-one will be thrown off!

Again a faulty collection, though. As any fan knows already, instrumental of "Say hello wave goodbye" is never on any CD of SC. Why is that I cannot fathom but here we are. I once tried to rip my 7" of the single but the B-side is too crackly. And I could never find a good vinyl rip, all of them are noisy which jars with the overall quality of the collection. So if anyone has a decent clean version please do get in touch. Oh, and if anyone's willing to share the remix of "Loving you hating me" from the double 7" of "Soul inside" then I can create a 2x7" folder instead of a simple 7" one. So reaching out for your help!

Link: https://mega.nz/folder/O41T1CLJ#33CXwtte2EZI8LLgv2fXng

Enjoy!

P.S. Oh yes, the collection sticks to major label stuff mostly. That means their indie 7" EP from 1980 is missing - but I can add it if there's a demand, of course. Though, remembering the Blancmange post, no-one even mentioned it so maybe not :D

Fantastic work again PS you are choosing some excellent artists, adding the 1980 EP would be ideal to complete the set :)
WLR
The Jet Set

Postby Gazebo Music » Wed Sep 28, 2022 7:29 am

Nicely done again Passing Stranger! Thanks
Gazebo Music
Personal Jesus

Re: SHARE: 7" collections - Visage

Postby Passing_Stranger » Mon Oct 03, 2022 12:45 pm

Finally a non-faulty collection! Of course, having already covered Ultravox and John Foxx, I couldn't bypass these act. Some of the best music of the whole 1980s, and yet so shoddily represented on CD (until recently)! Not being able to gather all the correct versions together drove me to distraction in the early days, but with each passing year one or the other bit of the puzzle was obtained and now I can present the full picture. Most of it (the A sides first and foremost) are from CDs - 1990s ones (mainly "Fade to grey - the best of" and "The damned don't cry" compilations; 7" of "Night train" is from the "Kick up the 80s Vol. 6") - while I also used DJPaulT's rips where appropriate. First single and "We move" are rips from my own 7"s, hope no-one will be thrown off by vinyl noises as that's the best I have (well, I could've used Rubellan's remasters but they're too loud for this collection; on the other hand, I used his remaster of "Beat boy"'s 7" as it's the only one available). If you can provide me with a better-sounding versions, please don't hesitate, it's for everyone's benefit :) That's pretty much all, I guess.

Link: https://mega.nz/folder/yssQESAZ#RQjIRRBnxC4z4UF9RtguDg

Enjoy!
Last edited by Passing_Stranger on Wed Oct 05, 2022 4:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Passing_Stranger
Room at the Top

Postby WLR » Wed Oct 05, 2022 10:51 am

Another splendid addition to this excellent series, thank you.
WLR
The Jet Set

Postby Gazebo Music » Sun Oct 09, 2022 8:45 pm

Once again nicely done! Thanks
Gazebo Music
Personal Jesus

Re: SHARE: 7" collections - Classix Nouveaux

Postby Passing_Stranger » Mon Oct 17, 2022 9:48 am

Hi guys! After an expected interruption here a new installment. Classix Nouveaux were never among the big names, but have certainly had longevity in peoples' imagination. I like them immensely, they're among my favourite bands. I can't really explain why, don't even think they were consistent in their output, but there's something intriguing and mysterious about them, and their good bits are up there with the best of them. They released some terrific singles, and even their B-sides were often of an equal quality to the A-sides. Good thing about all this is that their stuff is generously represented on CD, so compiling this collection was rather easy (I used the early 2000s reissues of "Night people" and "La verite" and a second "Best of" mainly), I only had to source a couple of tracks from vinyl rips. It also sounds crisp and clean, which is always cool. And no missing pieces this time! :D

Link: https://mega.nz/folder/fhs1UTgJ#iUKqxxDK1iRe0O_EmXrE7w

Enjoy!
Passing_Stranger
Room at the Top

PreviousNext

Return to Obscure 80s Central