Site Announcements

View the results of the New Wave Outpost 20th Anniversary Top Songs Poll here:
http://www.nwoutpost.com/poll/results

Coming Soon: Top Albums Poll. Stay tuned!

Welcome to the new forum!
If you are a previously registered user, you must do the following:

1) Click on 'I forgot my password' at the login prompt
2) Enter your username and email you registered with and submit
3) You will receive an email with an activation link. Please click it and then log in using the random password provided
4) Go to your User Control Panel and click on the Profile tab
5) Click on 'Edit Account Settings' and enter your new password twice followed by the random password provided earlier. Click Submit.
6) That's it...you're back in! You may have to log in again with your new password.

If you forgot your email address, please email me (MikeP) at: mikepaulsen12@gmail.com

Note: you must now use bb code buttons in the Post form for embedded images, YouTube videos, etc.
For example, to post embedded YouTube videos: paste in the link (e.g., http://www.youtube.com/watch?XYZ1234567), highlight it and then click the YouTube button.

SHARE: 7" collections - Thompson Twins

Discuss hard-to-find or out-of-print New Wave and '80s Alternative, and share a few songs along the way.
NOTE: requesting songs that are entirely unrelated to the genres discussed here or easily found on CD is strongly discouraged and posts will be enforced as needed.

Re: SHARE: 7" collections - Eurythmics

Postby omar » Mon Dec 05, 2022 12:47 pm

Thanks again for the great effort. Just out of curiosity does The Walk (7") have a second or two clipped off at the beginning or not?
omar
Room at the Top

Postby PKPN » Mon Dec 05, 2022 11:23 pm

Thanks again, Passing Stranger!

In case this helps anyone else... in the Eurythmics collection, I had trouble downloading A. Belinda.flac via the Mega desktop app on Windows. I finally had to get just the file via the browser, for some reason. No error message was given; the app just kept aborting and retrying that one file.
PKPN
Take On Me

Postby AJWAVE » Tue Dec 06, 2022 5:48 am

Thank you for share!

Best regards
Are you going to start screwing over Redo like you screwed over MSK with your endless requests? what an idiot you turned out to be MATT
AJWAVE
Room at the Top

Postby Gazebo Music » Thu Dec 08, 2022 7:17 am

Another wonderful addition, thanks Passing Stranger!
Gazebo Music
Personal Jesus

Re: SHARE: 7" collections - Art of Noise

Postby Passing_Stranger » Mon Dec 12, 2022 2:23 pm

This one was supposed to be a real quickie, seeing how generously AON's stuff is represented in CD, but it still took two full days of work. No matter, I actually started to like this stuff quite a bit more. For years I just couldn't understand what all the fuss was about, dismissed the project as another journalists' favourite that has precious little to say, but now I think I kinda see the point and would definitely check the albums as well. It also transpires they have some feverish fans who digitize all their stuff and present it very carefully and reverently. So early singles are from those vinyls while singles from 1987 are from CD releases of the time. No missing pieces this time! :D

Link: https://mega.nz/folder/jgtF2I5C#UUX2IS11tBQTEBc1ymjlxw

Enjoy!
Last edited by Passing_Stranger on Tue Dec 13, 2022 2:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Passing_Stranger
Room at the Top

Postby negative1 » Mon Dec 12, 2022 2:29 pm

another great and eclectic band.

i only have their 12 inches and remixes though.

thanks again.

later
negative1
Room at the Top

Postby PKPN » Mon Dec 12, 2022 6:51 pm

I certainly never thought of Art of Noise as New Wave in the slightest. However, I'm a longtime fan and obsessive collector of their work.

I can't immediately tell which tracks are from vinyl, but here are some CD sources you may have missed, and one error:

1. Beat Box Diversion Six from the 1984 ZTIS 108 7" is the same as Beat Box Diversion 10 on the 1985 Moments in Love 7", so you could've used the same source (1987 Moments in Love CD single) for both.

2. Beat Box Diversion Seven on that 7" is an edit of Diversion Two. Neither Seven nor Two are exactly the same as what was released as "Close (to the Edit)" although they're all very similar. Anyway the actual Diversion Seven is on disc 1 of the 2010 Influence compilation as "Close (to the Edit)". It's also on disc 1 of The Organisation of Pop: 30 Years of Zang Tuum Tumb (Tokyo Edition). Somehow, though, it seems you used "Beat Box (Diversion)" from the 1999 amplified.com custom CD-R... that was just a previously unreleased edit of Diversion One.

3. Just Can't Get Enough: New Wave Hits of the '80s vol. 14 has the UK 7" version (which was also the 2nd video mix) of "Close (to the Edit)".

4. The band's 2006 compilation And What Have You Done with My Body, God? has the B-sides "(do) Donna (do)" and "A Time to Hear (Who's Listening?)".

5. The 1985 4:40 single edit of "Moments in Love" is on Spiritually Ibiza II: A Moment of Balearic Brilliance.

6. "Legs (7" Mix)", "Hoops and Mallets", "Paranoimia (7" Mix)" and "Why Me?" are all on the 2017 Deluxe Edition of In Visible Silence, although my preferred mastering of Paranoimia is on Re-Works of Art of Noise. [edit:] I noticed you got "Something Always Happens" from the 2017 In Visible Silence, but it should be faded out early to match the original 45s; I sent you a vinyl rip for comparison.
Last edited by PKPN on Wed Dec 14, 2022 3:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PKPN
Take On Me

Postby Passing_Stranger » Tue Dec 13, 2022 12:15 pm

Thank you guys! PKPN, I long gave up trying to categorize bands/projects such as this. To me they're simply "new music" of the time, I'm happy with that :D

Thank you for the details concerning various "diversions" of Beatbox, I'll change the B-side ASAP (if you can send me the version from "Organization of Pop" I'll be grateful!). Close (to the Edit) and (do) Donna (do) are just from the sources you mention. As for Legs and Paranoimia singles, they're from DJPaulT rips.
Passing_Stranger
Room at the Top

Postby WLR » Wed Dec 14, 2022 6:15 am

:D Amazing set PS, I had no idea that they had released so many singles, really interesting collection, thanks again.
WLR
The Jet Set

Postby AJWAVE » Mon Dec 19, 2022 7:03 am

Thank you very much
Are you going to start screwing over Redo like you screwed over MSK with your endless requests? what an idiot you turned out to be MATT
AJWAVE
Room at the Top

Re: SHARE: 7" collections - Gary Numan

Postby Passing_Stranger » Mon Dec 19, 2022 10:18 am

Hello friends! Nice to see some discussions on the previous post, thank you all! The penultimate post this year is of a guy who needs little introduction - Gary Numan. Truly a figure of heroic proportions, his longevity will go down in history, I suppose, even though he seemingly did his damnedest to sabotage his own carrier. There's something about him that kept him afloat. I can't call myself a fan but he always fascinated me, so his singles collection is only natural. Besides, I came to the conclusion that it's the short form he excels at. 90% of his albums I find tough going, with so much filler it's unbelievable. In fact I'd truncate even his best-loved and highly regarded ones. While he did quite a few terrific singles: his "Premier hits" compilation is near-spotless, and "New dreams for old 84-98" is not far behind. He also wrote some fantastic B-sides, his "Photograph" is probably my favourite instrumental piece ever - so heart-wrenching it's really something.

So, an artist of extremes. I couldn't miss a chance to take on his 7" legacy. I didn't collect his various edits and things for years for nothing, after all. And, believe it or not, this one is nearly complete! The only things to be missing are as follows: "Time to die", B-side of a 7" single of "New thing from London town" (as our friend Fred Taghon ascertained it's not a short cut of a widely available 4-minute version but a different take), "Love like a ghost" from the main "I'm on automatic" 7", and a single edit of "Emotion" (I understand it was a flop release, but it was on CD, why is it so hard to find?!). If anyone has any of these, please do get in touch, I'd love to see this collection complete :D With that said,

Link: https://mega.nz/folder/T0dzQayK#mJ0TRMsWx2lTeKtBwn6ecA

Enjoy!
Passing_Stranger
Room at the Top

Postby xymox970 » Mon Dec 19, 2022 3:10 pm

Absolutely love Garys b-sides.
My favorite is Survival.
Amazing soundscape.

Thanks for compiling them!
xymox970
The Jet Set

Postby WLR » Tue Dec 20, 2022 4:20 am

:D Gary Numan is the man responsible for my love of electronic music, he changed the music world completely when he released "Are Friends Electric?", so this compilation is essential and fills some gaps I have in my collection.

Thank you PS for this set and the previous ones you have worked on, fantastic work all round.
WLR
The Jet Set

Postby Passing_Stranger » Wed Dec 21, 2022 6:44 am

Thank you guys! Xymox, I agree on "Survival", in fact all of Gary's B-sides from 1986 are great! Would love to hear a whole album of such experiments from him :D
Passing_Stranger
Room at the Top

Postby Sean » Wed Dec 21, 2022 11:04 am

These are all so cool.. Thanks Passing Stranger.
I am a camera!!!
Sean
Room at the Top

PreviousNext

Return to Obscure 80s Central