Site Announcements

View the results of the New Wave Outpost 20th Anniversary Top Songs Poll here:
http://www.nwoutpost.com/poll/results

Coming Soon: Top Albums Poll. Stay tuned!

Welcome to the new forum!
If you are a previously registered user, you must do the following:

1) Click on 'I forgot my password' at the login prompt
2) Enter your username and email you registered with and submit
3) You will receive an email with an activation link. Please click it and then log in using the random password provided
4) Go to your User Control Panel and click on the Profile tab
5) Click on 'Edit Account Settings' and enter your new password twice followed by the random password provided earlier. Click Submit.
6) That's it...you're back in! You may have to log in again with your new password.

If you forgot your email address, please email me (MikeP) at: mikepaulsen12@gmail.com

Note: you must now use bb code buttons in the Post form for embedded images, YouTube videos, etc.
For example, to post embedded YouTube videos: paste in the link (e.g., http://www.youtube.com/watch?XYZ1234567), highlight it and then click the YouTube button.

Books

Discuss hard-to-find or out-of-print New Wave and '80s Alternative, and share a few songs along the way.
NOTE: requesting songs that are entirely unrelated to the genres discussed here or easily found on CD is strongly discouraged and posts will be enforced as needed.

Re: Books

Postby Uvox » Sun Mar 24, 2024 3:11 am

This topic was sadly too silent lately))

I found an interesting book in a second hand vinyl store last week -
Sweet Dreams: The Story of the New Romantics by Dylan Jones

Quite an interesting and educating, while entertaining, view on the new wave movement by a UK journalist. As far as I can see, it is still avalable from some web book sellers --

https://www.roughtrade.com/en-gb/produc ... -romantics

as paperback at a very attractive price.

The definitive history of the Blitz Kids, Synth-Pop and the Style Press from 1975 to 1985
Sweet Dreams charts the rise of the New Romantics, a scene that grew out of the remnants of post-punk and developed quickly alongside club culture, ska, electronica, and goth.

One of the most creative entrepreneurial periods since the Sixties, the era had a huge influence on the growth of print and broadcast media, and was arguably one of the most bohemian environments of the late twentieth century. Not only did it visually define the decade, it was the catalyst for the Second British Invasion, when the US charts would be colonised by British pop music - Depeche Mode, Culture Club, Wham!, Soft Cell, Ultravox, Duran Duran, Sade, Spandau Ballet, the Eurythmics and many more - making it one of the most powerful cultural exports since the Beatles

For a while, Sweet Dreams were made of this.

I just started reading, but from the very beginning, stay assured it is worth every penny spent.
Uvox
The Jet Set

Previous

Return to Obscure 80s Central