Site Announcements

View the results of the New Wave Outpost 20th Anniversary Top Songs Poll here:
http://www.nwoutpost.com/poll/results

Coming Soon: Top Albums Poll. Stay tuned!

Welcome to the new forum!
If you are a previously registered user, you must do the following:

1) Click on 'I forgot my password' at the login prompt
2) Enter your username and email you registered with and submit
3) You will receive an email with an activation link. Please click it and then log in using the random password provided
4) Go to your User Control Panel and click on the Profile tab
5) Click on 'Edit Account Settings' and enter your new password twice followed by the random password provided earlier. Click Submit.
6) That's it...you're back in! You may have to log in again with your new password.

If you forgot your email address, please email me (MikeP) at: mikepaulsen12@gmail.com

Note: you must now use bb code buttons in the Post form for embedded images, YouTube videos, etc.
For example, to post embedded YouTube videos: paste in the link (e.g., http://www.youtube.com/watch?XYZ1234567), highlight it and then click the YouTube button.

Q: Anybody feel like talking......really talking ?

Discuss hard-to-find or out-of-print New Wave and '80s Alternative, and share a few songs along the way.
NOTE: requesting songs that are entirely unrelated to the genres discussed here or easily found on CD is strongly discouraged and posts will be enforced as needed.

Re: Q: Anybody feel like talking......really talking ?

Postby 80rulez » Mon Sep 27, 2021 9:36 am

musfan wrote:If Professor of Rock is too mainstream, you might want to check out some of the Trash Theory videos. They're not hitting the Rare Hits of the 80s / Gazebo Music level of obscure, but when they discuss popular songs, they often show links back to much lesser known songs, which is nice to see.

Thanks. Turns out that I've seen one of his episode on Cocteau Twins before. I am amazed at the research that the guy did for his Shoegaze episode. Good stuffs.
80rulez
Take On Me

Re: Q: Anybody feel like talking......really talking ?

Postby xymox970 » Tue Nov 30, 2021 5:28 pm

Top Of The Pops has been my constant companion throughout these past few years, thanks to the BBC re-runs.

There is actually so much to talk about regarding Top Of The Pops during the 80s, starting from the actual performances -
the way there were filmed (BBC cameras famously shooting from down below the artists half of the time giving some of them
less than favorable viewing angles), the miming, the audience, the chart itself and naturally - the hosts.

But, unfortunately, for us fans, the biggest negative aspect of it all are the so-called banned episodes,
featuring the hosts Jimmy Saville, Dave Lee Travis, Mike Smith and some notorious artists like Gary Glitter.
Rarely seen in good quality, some of those are really the holy grail for Top Of The Pops fans.

Thankfully, there have been some youtube uploads during the last couple of years that have featured parts of those as well.
Unfortunately, the picture quality has not been very good in most cases.

But, as of recently, for the last couple of months there is an uploader giving us all those treasures in pristine quality.
Not the complete banned episodes as such, but the edited performances rarely seen by now (at least by me).

More over, this particular uploader has been putting up clips featuring what seems like unedited performances
from the BBC vaults that were never meant to be broadcast. In some cases you can actually see takes 1,2 & 3 of the same track.

If anyone if interested in those, send me a PM and I will let you know how to find them.
xymox970
The Jet Set

Previous

Return to Obscure 80s Central