Site Announcements

View the results of the New Wave Outpost 20th Anniversary Top Songs Poll here:
http://www.nwoutpost.com/poll/results

Coming Soon: Top Albums Poll. Stay tuned!

Welcome to the new forum!
If you are a previously registered user, you must do the following:

1) Click on 'I forgot my password' at the login prompt
2) Enter your username and email you registered with and submit
3) You will receive an email with an activation link. Please click it and then log in using the random password provided
4) Go to your User Control Panel and click on the Profile tab
5) Click on 'Edit Account Settings' and enter your new password twice followed by the random password provided earlier. Click Submit.
6) That's it...you're back in! You may have to log in again with your new password.

If you forgot your email address, please email me (MikeP) at: mikepaulsen12@gmail.com

Note: you must now use bb code buttons in the Post form for embedded images, YouTube videos, etc.
For example, to post embedded YouTube videos: paste in the link (e.g., http://www.youtube.com/watch?XYZ1234567), highlight it and then click the YouTube button.

The Unknown Beauty Of The 80's Vol. 190

Discuss hard-to-find or out-of-print New Wave and '80s Alternative, and share a few songs along the way.
NOTE: requesting songs that are entirely unrelated to the genres discussed here or easily found on CD is strongly discouraged and posts will be enforced as needed.

The Unknown Beauty Of The 80's Vol. 190

Postby Rissan » Wed Nov 24, 2021 12:02 am

This volume of The Unknown Beauty Of The 80’s started as a single cd only covering the production skills of Rupert Hine during the eighties. But gradually I discovered more and more solo stuff, non album releases and interesting other stuff, so in the end this compilation was created completely dedicated on the production work, guest appearances and recorded material of Rupert Hine (1947-09-21 till 2020-06-04) during the eighties. As an artist he was active in the bands Quantum Leap, Rupert & David, Spin 1ne 2wo, The Vegetarians of Love and Thinkman, but also managed to release six solo albums. But he shaped the sound for a lot of eighties and nineties artists.

Note beforehand: normally I only put a single track of a single artist on a compilation. In this case I made the exception to put more than one track of Rupert Hine and Thinkman on this compilation, since these are not featured on the regular albums. There's a word file enclosed giving some more info on the chosen tracks. Up for a week.

A short bio

Rupert Hine started his career as recording artist in 1965 with David McIver in the Duo Rupert And Dave. They released just one single called The Sound Of Silence. Yes, a cover of the famous song by Simon And Garfunkel. In 1971 he debuted with the solo album Pick Up A Bone, and worked together again with David MacIver in 1972 under the name MacIver Hine. In the same year he debuted as producer for the John Pertwee single Who Is The Doctor. After a second solo album in 1973, Unfinished Picture, he joined Quantum Leap. Between 1976 and 1979 the band recorded three albums. By the dusk of the eighties the band split, and Rupert went solo again. In the early eighties he released his three great synth albums Immunity (1981), Waving Not Drowning (1982) and The Wildest Wish To Fly (1983). In 1983 he joined Tom Tom Club on their second album Close To The Bone. Although his production work by now took a serious amount of time, between 1986 and 1990 he released his work under the name Thinkman, a fictitious band, since essentially this was a solo project but presented as a group. When The Formula became a hit, actors were hired to play band members during live performances and TV appearances. One of them was the comedy star Julian Clary (keyboardist Leo Hurll), for which Hine would produce his solo project Joan Collins’ Fan Club in 1988. In 1990 Hine worked with real musicians including Rick Smith and Karl Hyde of Underworld, for which he had produced their debut album Underneath the Radar in 1989. As a solo artist he released his last album in 1994 called The Deep End. In between he played with The Vegetarians, the accompaniment group of Bob Geldof, and recorded an album with the band Spin 1ne 2wo, which, besides Rupert, featured Paul Carrack, Phil Palmer, Steve Ferrone and Tony Levin. His last production work was for the Guilty Ones in 2013.

Besides his musical career he also was Advocate of the music industry, chairing the songwriters' committee of the British Association of Songwriters, Composers and Arrangers (BASCA) and sat on the Ivor Novello Awards committee. With tech writer and entrepreneur Alan Graham, set up One-Click Licence (OCL) to make copyright compatible with technology. OCL created the app NDiiD and the Totem service which deals with the issue of monetizing and tracking User Generated Content.

If you like to read more on Rupert Hine visit: https://ruperthine.com/bio/

The tracks:

CD01

01. Nino Buonocore - Notte Chiara (4:08)
02. Rupert Hine - Arrested By You (5:07)
03. Stevie Nicks - Fire Burning (3:16)
04. The Members - Romance (3:14)
05. Terri Nunn - Dancing In Isolation (4:06)
06. Thinkman - Come To Your Rescue (5:03)
07. Nasa - I Hang On To My Vertigo (5:02)
08. Rush - Presto (5:46)
09. Tina Turner - Bold And Reckless (3:50)
10. Rupert Hine - Race The K-12 (instrumental) (3:49)
11. The Planets - Intensive Care (3:44)
12. Rebel Heels - Break The Chain (3:47)
13. Thompson Twins - Get That Love (4:00)
14. Underworld - Show Some Emotion (4:24)
15. Tom Tom Club - The Man With The 4-Way Hips (5:46)
16. Rupert Hine - The Falcon Beat (instrumental) (2:37)
17. Saga - The Flyer (3:42)
18. Longport Buzz - Fun (2:28)
19. Jon Pertwee - Who Is The Doctor (2:23)

CD02

01. Jona Lewie - I Think I'll Get My Haircut (3:01)
02. Bob Geldof - Talk Me Up (3:51)
03. Joan Collins' Fan Club - Leader Of The Pack (4:00)
04. The Waterboys - A Girl Called Johnny (3:55)
05. Howard Jones - Speciality (3:50)
06. The Fixx - A Letter To Both Sides (3:20)
07. Labi Siffre - Run To Him (3:52)
08. Rupert Hine - An Eagle's Teaching (4:34)
09. The Little Heroes - Bon Voyage (3:32)
10. Martin Ansell - The Eigth Wonder (5:37)
11. Thinkman - You Are What You Think (instrumental) (4:16)
12. Eight Seconds - Kiss You (when it's dangerous) (4:07)
13. Dusty Springfield - Arrested By You (3:51)
14. Chris De Burgh - The Getaway (3:52)
15. Famous Names - Holiday Romance (3:35)
16. Rupert Hine - Better Off Dub (instrumental) (3:48)
17. The Boomtown Rats - Banana Republic (3:29)
18. Robert Palmer - Pride (3:38)
19. Thinkman - Are We Landing Now (4:15)
20. Rupert Hine - Never More Me (bonus) (4:18)

The link: ...
Enjoy
Last edited by Rissan on Tue Nov 30, 2021 11:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rissan
The Jet Set

Re: The Unknown Beauty Of The 80's Vol. 190

Postby crichert » Wed Nov 24, 2021 6:47 am

Thank you, Ris - fantastic write-up about Rupert! I've always loved his work, and feel he was a very influential artist!
crichert
Room at the Top

Postby Fred80s » Wed Nov 24, 2021 5:50 pm

This is really well done. Thanks, Rissan.
Fred80s
Personal Jesus

Postby Gazebo Music » Thu Nov 25, 2021 9:47 pm

Ris, this is absolutely brilliant and very well researched! It’s great that you have put this all together just to show the extent of Rupert’s work! Job well done my friend!
Gazebo Music
Personal Jesus

Postby AJWAVE » Sat Nov 27, 2021 7:21 am

Excelent choice for this volume. Saga, Rush and Rupert Hine

Thanks Ris

Julio
Are you going to start screwing over Redo like you screwed over MSK with your endless requests? what an idiot you turned out to be MATT
AJWAVE
Room at the Top

Return to Obscure 80s Central