Site Announcements

View the results of the New Wave Outpost 20th Anniversary Top Songs Poll here:
http://www.nwoutpost.com/poll/results

Coming Soon: Top Albums Poll. Stay tuned!

Welcome to the new forum!
If you are a previously registered user, you must do the following:

1) Click on 'I forgot my password' at the login prompt
2) Enter your username and email you registered with and submit
3) You will receive an email with an activation link. Please click it and then log in using the random password provided
4) Go to your User Control Panel and click on the Profile tab
5) Click on 'Edit Account Settings' and enter your new password twice followed by the random password provided earlier. Click Submit.
6) That's it...you're back in! You may have to log in again with your new password.

If you forgot your email address, please email me (MikeP) at: mikepaulsen12@gmail.com

Note: you must now use bb code buttons in the Post form for embedded images, YouTube videos, etc.
For example, to post embedded YouTube videos: paste in the link (e.g., http://www.youtube.com/watch?XYZ1234567), highlight it and then click the YouTube button.

The Unknown Beauty Of The 80's Volume 197 + 198

Discuss hard-to-find or out-of-print New Wave and '80s Alternative, and share a few songs along the way.
NOTE: requesting songs that are entirely unrelated to the genres discussed here or easily found on CD is strongly discouraged and posts will be enforced as needed.

The Unknown Beauty Of The 80's Volume 197 + 198

Postby Rissan » Tue Dec 21, 2021 11:37 pm

In the last week for Christmas I present to you Volume 197 & Volume 198. 197 is a regular Volume, 198 is a thematic Volume with covers. Up for one week.

The tracks:

Volume 197

01. Deathly Quiet! - The Next Step (4:03)
02. Troops For Tomorrow - Songs Of Joy & Faith (3:24)
03. Band Of Outsiders - Done Away (3:58)
04. Perfect Strangers - No Fear Of Flying (3:33)
05. The Raincoats - No One's Little Girl (4:30)
06. Into A Circle - Seraphin Twin (4:00)
07. Dark Tales - Part Of The Show (3:27)
08. Melissa Manchester - You Should Hear How She Talks About You (4:24)
09. The Northern Pikes - Things I Do For Money (4:48)
10. Norma Loy - L'Homme À La Moto (radio edit) (3:47)
11. Still - Just A Song (5:37)
12. Days Of Sorrow - It's About Time (3:47)
13. Naked Lunch - Rabies (4:53)
14. The Sleep Of Reason - The Sleep Of Reason (4:20)
15. Airplay - For Your Love (4:27)
16. This Parade - Sing & Dance (4:07)
17. Play Dead - Propaganda (3:10)
18. Louis Phillipe - You Mary You (3:01)
19. Orchestre Rouge - Seconds Grate (4:49)

The link: ...

Volume 198: Covers

Made For TV - Unknown Soldier

The Unknown Soldier was a song by The Doors released in 1968 as a single which ended up on the album Waiting For The Sun from the same year. Unknown soldier was a B-side for the single So Afraid Of The Russians, one of the two singles by Made For TV.

Karel Fialka - People Are Strange

Again a cover of The Doors. People Are Strange became a single in 1967 and was also featured on the album Strange Days. Karl Fialka covered the track for his debut album Still Life from 1980.

Exotic Maximus - Paint It Black

The well-known Rolling Stones song, this time covered by Exotic Maximus, whom released it as a single in 1983.

Louis Phillipe - Little Pad

Little Pad is a song originally written by Brian Wilson and featured on the eponymous album by The Beach Boys from 1968. Little Pad is a B-side of the You Mary You 12” of Louis Phillipe from 1987.

Bongwater - Ride Me See-Saw

Ride Me See-Saw was a single of The Moody Blues in 1968 and is written by bass player John Lodge. The song is featured on the album In Search Of The Last Chord. Bongwater featured the track on the 12” Breaking No New Grounds which in 1989 was added to their album Double Bummer+.

Morgan Fisher - Coloured Rain

Coloured Rain is a track originally written by Chris Wood, Jim Capaldi and Steve Winwood and was featured on the Traffic debut album Mr. Fantasy from 1968. Stephen Morgan Fisher covered Coloured Rain on his album Seasons from 1983.

Nasa – Elstree

Elstree was originally written by Geoffry Downes and Trevor Horn, featured on the 1979 album The Age Of Plastic. The album version also became a single in 1980. Elstree was added as a bonus track to the 1991 cd release of their album In The Mist Of Time.

Sonic Youth - Within You Without You

Originally written by George Harrison for the Beatles album Sgt. Pepper’s Lonely Hearts Club Band from 1968. The version of Sonic Youth was original featured on the Sgt. Pepper Knew My Father compilation from 1988, and was later added as a bonus track to the 2007 re-release of Daydream Nation.

Rainy Day - Rainy Day, Dream Away

Rainy Day, Dream Away is a song originally written by Jimi Hendrix featured on the album Electric Lady Land from 1968. Rainy Day used it as the closing track for their self-titled and only album from 1984.

The Feelies - Everybody's Got Something To Hide (except me and my monkey)

Originally written by John Lennon and Paul McCartney for the album The Beatles from 1968. The Feelies released Everybody's Got Something To Hide (except me and my monkey) as a single in 1980 and it is featured on their album Crazy Rhythms.

Blancmange - The Day Before You Came

The well-known ABBA song from 1982 written by Björn Ulvaeus and Benny Andersson. Blancmange had quite a hit with The Day Before You Came in 1984 and it became the closing track for their album Mange Tout.

Kirsty MacColl - Days

Days was originally written by Ray Davies and became a single in 1968. Kirsty covered Days for her second album Kite from 1989 and released it as a single as well.

The Sisters Of Mercy - Gimme Shelter

The well known The Rolling Stones song written by Keith Richards and Mick Jagger, released in 1971 as a single and featured on the album Hot Rocks 1964-1971. Gimme Shelter was a Sisters Of Mercy B-side of the 1983 12” version of Temple Of Love.

Leather Nun - Gimme Gimme Gimme

The well-known ABBA hit single from 1979 written by Björn Ulvaeus and Benny Andersson. The Leather Nun released it as a single in 1986.

Zeus B. Held ft. Gina Kikoine & Ralph Morgenstern - Drive My Car

Originally written by John Lennon and Paul McCartney. It became a single in 1966 and is featured on the 1965 album Rubber Soul. Zeus B. Held and Gina Kikoine played in the band Gina X Performance when he released his solo album Attack Time in 1981. He also covered the Beatles song fool On The Hill, which he released as a single in 1978.

The Raincoats - Running Away

Running Away was originally written by Sly Stone for The Sly & The Family Stone album There’s A Riot Going On from 1971 and was also released as a single a year later. Running Away was a single for The Raincoats in 1982.

Hermine – Anything

Anything was written by Ray Collins for The Mothers Of Inventions album Cruising With Ruben & The Jets from 1968. Anything is the closing track from Lonely At The Top, the second album by Hermine Demoriane.

Puhdys - Death Of A Clown

Written by Ray and Dave Davies and released as a single in 1967. The track is featured on the album Something Else By The Kinks from the same year. Puhdys were a veteran rock band from the former German Democratic Republic which existed from 1965 ‘till 2016. Death Of A Clown is featured on their anniversary album 20 Jahre Puhdys from 1989.

Melissa Manchester - Race To The End

Written by Jon Anderson and Vangelis for Demis Roussos. Released as a single in 1981 and featured on the album Demis from 1982. Race To the End was a B-side for Melissa’s single You Should Hear How She Talks About You in 1982 and is featured on her album Hey Ricky.

01. Made For TV - Unknown Soldier (2:54)
02. Karel Fialka - People Are Strange (3:10)
03. Exotic Maximus - Paint It Black (2:42)
04. Louis Phillipe - Little Pad (2:05)
05. Bongwater - Ride Me See-Saw (3:52)
06. Morgan Fisher - Coloured Rain (4:40)
07. Nasa - Elstree (4:09)
08. Sonic Youth - Within You Without You (4:53)
09. Rainy Day - Rainy Day, Dream Away (11:21)
10. The Feelies - Everybody's Got Something To Hide (except me and my monkey) (4:17)
11. Blancmange - The Day Before You Came (4:25)
12. Kirsty MacColl - Days (3:00)
13. The Sisters Of Mercy - Gimme Shelter (5:57)
14. Leather Nun - Gimme Gimme Gimme (3:49)
15. Zeus B. Held ft. Gina Kikoine & Ralph Morgenstern - Drive My Car (3:43)
16. The Raincoats - Running Away (2:49)
17. Hermine - Anything (4:49)
18. Puhdys - Death Of A Clown (3:20)
19. Melissa Manchester - Race To The End (3:56)

The link: ...

Enjoy
Last edited by Rissan on Wed Dec 29, 2021 2:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rissan
The Jet Set

Re: The Unknown Beauty Of The 80's Volume 197 + 198

Postby Fred80s » Wed Dec 22, 2021 2:50 pm

Fantastic as always.

Thanks, Rissan.
Fred80s
Personal Jesus

Re: The Unknown Beauty Of The 80's Volume 197 + 198

Postby Gazebo Music » Fri Dec 24, 2021 12:00 am

Such Similar tastes Ris! Excellent set and enjoyed the descriptive write ups! Be proud of this series and the work you have put in for us all to enjoy. A personal congrats on what could be the most volumes in an 80s obscurity series to date! A job very, very well done! Cheers
Gazebo Music
Personal Jesus

Return to Obscure 80s Central