Site Announcements

View the results of the New Wave Outpost 20th Anniversary Top Songs Poll here:
http://www.nwoutpost.com/poll/results

Coming Soon: Top Albums Poll. Stay tuned!

Welcome to the new forum!
If you are a previously registered user, you must do the following:

1) Click on 'I forgot my password' at the login prompt
2) Enter your username and email you registered with and submit
3) You will receive an email with an activation link. Please click it and then log in using the random password provided
4) Go to your User Control Panel and click on the Profile tab
5) Click on 'Edit Account Settings' and enter your new password twice followed by the random password provided earlier. Click Submit.
6) That's it...you're back in! You may have to log in again with your new password.

If you forgot your email address, please email me (MikeP) at: mikepaulsen12@gmail.com

Note: you must now use bb code buttons in the Post form for embedded images, YouTube videos, etc.
For example, to post embedded YouTube videos: paste in the link (e.g., http://www.youtube.com/watch?XYZ1234567), highlight it and then click the YouTube button.

The 80's According to Jim Steinman

Discuss hard-to-find or out-of-print New Wave and '80s Alternative, and share a few songs along the way.
NOTE: requesting songs that are entirely unrelated to the genres discussed here or easily found on CD is strongly discouraged and posts will be enforced as needed.

The 80's According to Jim Steinman

Postby Rissan » Tue Dec 28, 2021 12:47 am

To be honest it was during this week, week 51 of 2021, that I learned that Jim Steinman had died on the 19th of April of this year. I remember The first time I came in contact with his production skills and his writing excellence. It was 1977 and the ultimate number one song of that moment was Paradise By The Dashboard Light. My younger uncles, from mother’s side, both bought the record and cassette copies were shared throughout the family. For my birthday I had received a radio cassette player and the tape with Bat Out Of Hell was in it for months.

So I kept following Jim Steinman, mainly through Meat Loaf, but later on through Ellen Foley, Bonnie Tyler and Pandora’s Box. So to honour Jim Steinman influence on the 80’s I present you this compilation of songs produced, written, arranged and played (with some vocals) by Jim Steinman. For those who followed Jim Steinman; tracks written by him pop up on several albums of artists he produced, being Meat Loaf the mass user of the songs over the years.

Spicy detail: for a moment I considered to put this one out as volume 200 of The Unknown Beauty series, but in the end I decided to make this a separate release.

The New York Philharmonic Orchestra – The Storm

The original release of Bad For Good in 1981 was to big to featured on a single album so it was released as a lp and 7”. The A side of the single, The Storm, was the opener of the project and the b-side, Rock And Roll Dreams Come Through (Epilogue To The Album "Bad For Good"), the closing track.

The Sisters Of Mercy – Dominion / Mother Russia

From their 1987 breakthrough album Floodland. The track was co-produced by Jim Steinman.

Pandora’s Box – The Original Sin (the native and restless tonight)

Pandora’s Box was a one-off collaboration brought together by producer Jim Steinman, consisting of Steinman and four lead singers: Ellen Foley, Elaine Caswell, Deliria Wilde and Gina Taylor. Original Sin features Deliria Wilde, Elaine Caswell, Ellen Foley, Gina Taylor, Holly Sherwood, Laura Theodore on lead vocals.

Karla Devito – Heaven Can Wait

Just after the recording of Bat Out Hell original backing singer Ellen Foley left Meat Loaf, because the project took to long to be released . Karla Devito fitted in for the videos that were shout for the singles for the album. Early eighties Kara Devito went solo. Heaven Can Wait, a cover from the Steinman track from Bat Out Of Hell, is featured on her first solo album Is This A Cool World Or What? From 1981.

Jim Steinman – Stark Raving Love

Track from the Bad For Good album from 1981. The lead vocals are by Rory Dodd.

Barbra Streisand – Left In The Dark

Left In The Dark was a single by Barbra Streisand in 1984 and is featured on her album Emotion. The song was written, arranged, mixed and produced by Jim Steinman.

Air Supply – Making Love Out Of Nothing At All

Making Love Out Of Nothing At All was a standalone single of Air supple released in 1983 and written, directed and produced by Jim Steinman.

Meguni Shiina - 悲しみは続かない (sadness doesn't last)

The track was composed and written by Jim Steinman and is featured on Meguni Shiina’s Maxi-Single TV Theme Best 4 from 1989.

Meat Loaf ft. Cher – Dead Ringer For Love

Taken from the second Meat Loaf album Dead Ringer from 1981. The album was written and produced by Jim Steinman.

Jim Steinman – Dance In My Pants

Track from the Bad For Good album from 1981. The lead vocals are Karla DeVito.

Urgent– Love Can Make You Cry

Urgent was a AOR band who just had released an album in 1985 called Cast The First Stone. An early version of Love Can Make You Cry is featured on the album. Jim Steinman produced and extended the track for the Iron Eagle Original Motion Picture soundtrack from 1986.

Bonnie Tyler – Rebel Without A Clue (excerpt from…)

The single version of Rebel Without A Clue released in 1986 was written and produced by Jim Steinman.

Billy Squier – Rock Me Tonite

Jim Steinman produced the album Signs Of Life from 1984 of the former Piper vocalist. It also became a single.

Fire Inc. – Tonight Is What It Means To Be Young

Studio formation assembled for the soundtrack of the 1984 feature film "Streets of Fire", featuring lead vocals by Laurie Sargent and Holly Sherwood.

W.W.F. All Stars – Hulk Hogan’s Theme

Produced and written by Jim Steinman for The Wrestling Album compilation released in 1985.

Meat Loaf – I’m Gonna Love Her From Both Of Us

Produced by Jim Steinman this is the album version of the song featured on the album Dead Ringer from 1981.

Bonnie Tyler – Total Eclipse Of The Heart

The huge eighties hit of Bonnie Tyler from her album Faster Than The speed Of Night, which was produced and written by Jim Steinman.

The Sisters Of Mercy – This Corrosion

From their 1987 breakthrough album Floodland. The track was produced by Jim Steinman.

Billy Squier – (another) 1984

Jim Steinman produced the album Signs Of Life from 1984 of the former Piper vocalist. It also became a single.

Jim Steinman – Lost Boys And Golden Girls

From the album Bad For Good from 1981. Lead vocals are by Rory Dodd.

Megumi Shiina - 今夜はAngel

The track was composed and written by Jim Steinman and is featured on Meguni Shiina’s debut album Miss You from 1986. It’s the Japanese version of Tonight Is What It Means To Be Young.

Bill Medley – Rude Awakening

The title track for the film with the same name. Rude Awakening was released as a single in 1989 and written and produced by Jim Steinman. It is also featured on the soundtrack album of the movie.

Mika Asakira - ヒーロー (Holding Out For A Hero)

In 1984 Holding Out For A Hero was covered by two Japanese singers Mika Asakira and Yuki Katsuragi. I choose for the version of the first.

Fire Inc. – Nowhere Fast

Studio formation assembled for the soundtrack of the 1984 feature film "Streets of Fire", featuring lead vocals by Laurie Sargent and Holly Sherwood.

Pandora’s Box – It’s All Coming Back To Me Now

Pandora’s Box was a one-off collaboration brought together by producer Jim Steinman, consisting of Steinman and four lead singers: Ellen Foley, Elaine Caswell, Deliria Wilde and Gina Taylor. Original Sin features Deliria Wilde, Elaine Caswell, Ellen Foley, Gina Taylor, Holly Sherwood, Laura Theodore on lead vocals. In 1995 Celine Dion had a huge hit with a cover version of the song.

Barry Manilow – Read ‘Em And Weep

Original written for the Meat Loaf album Dead Ringer from 1981. Barry Manilow covered the song in 1983, releasing it as a single.

Saint Four(セイントフォー) – Rock’n Roll Dreams Come Through

Cover from the Jim Steinman song original released on Bad For Good from 1981.

The link: ...
Enjoy. Up for one week.
Last edited by Rissan on Tue Jan 04, 2022 1:08 am, edited 2 times in total.
Rissan
The Jet Set

Re: The 80's According to Jim Steinman

Postby musfan » Tue Dec 28, 2021 9:42 am

I am also a big Steinman fan. When I was younger, I dismissed Meat Loaf because I heard Bat Out Of Hell all the time, and it drove me crazy. I got reintroduced to him through Bonnie Tyler, Pandora's Box, Sisters of Mercy, his solo album and some other Meat Loaf/Steinman tracks, and began to appreciate the songs much more than when I was younger.

I still have a difficult time with many of the first Bat songs, simply because of overexposure. I look forward to listening to some of the cover artists I have not heard before. Thank you!
musfan
Personal Jesus

Return to Obscure 80s Central