Site Announcements

View the results of the New Wave Outpost 20th Anniversary Top Songs Poll here:
http://www.nwoutpost.com/poll/results

Coming Soon: Top Albums Poll. Stay tuned!

Welcome to the new forum!
If you are a previously registered user, you must do the following:

1) Click on 'I forgot my password' at the login prompt
2) Enter your username and email you registered with and submit
3) You will receive an email with an activation link. Please click it and then log in using the random password provided
4) Go to your User Control Panel and click on the Profile tab
5) Click on 'Edit Account Settings' and enter your new password twice followed by the random password provided earlier. Click Submit.
6) That's it...you're back in! You may have to log in again with your new password.

If you forgot your email address, please email me (MikeP) at: mikepaulsen12@gmail.com

Note: you must now use bb code buttons in the Post form for embedded images, YouTube videos, etc.
For example, to post embedded YouTube videos: paste in the link (e.g., http://www.youtube.com/watch?XYZ1234567), highlight it and then click the YouTube button.

SHARE: The Unknown Beauty Of The 80's Vol. 218

Discuss hard-to-find or out-of-print New Wave and '80s Alternative, and share a few songs along the way.
NOTE: requesting songs that are entirely unrelated to the genres discussed here or easily found on CD is strongly discouraged and posts will be enforced as needed.

SHARE: The Unknown Beauty Of The 80's Vol. 218

Postby Rissan » Fri Apr 08, 2022 12:53 am

Another Volume filled with covers. Up for one week.

Second Face - Love In The Shadows

Love In The Shadows was written by E.G. Dailey and Harold Faltermeyer. E.G. Dailey had a hit with the song in 1985. Second Face recorded and released it as a single in 1986.

Flesh For Lulu - I'm Not Like Everybody Else

I’m Not Like Everybody Else is a Kinks track written by Ray Davies and was the b-side of the 1966 single Sunny Afternoon. Flesh For Lulu released it as a 12” b-side track of the single Postcards From Paradise in 1987.

Escalators - Wooly Bully

Wooly Bully was a single of Sam The Sham & The Pharaohs, released in 1965 and written by Domingo Samudio. Escalators released it in 1980 on their self-titled debut 12”.

Marie Léonor - Johnny Et Marie

Johnny & Mary is a song written by Robert Palmer. Palmer released the song as a single in 1980. Boris Bergman is responsible for the French lyrics of the version of Marie Léonor, who released it as a b-side for her single Haute Tension in 1980.

FM - Good Vibrations

Good Vibrations was written by Brian Wilson and Mike Love and released as a single in 1966 by The Beach Boys. FM recorded the track for their 1987 album Tonight and released it as a single.

The Mission - Mr. Pleasant

Mr. Pleasant was written by Ray Davies and released as a single by The Kinks in 1967. The Mission recorded the song for their 1990 album Grains Of Sand. The track was also released as a promo 7” single with Home by Hothouse Flowers on the flip side in 1991.

Taxi Girl - All Tomorrow's Parties

Released as a single in 1966 by the Velvet Underground And Nico. Written by Lou Reed. Taxi Girl recorded the track in 1979, but it was released in 1990 as extra track on the live-album Quelque Part Dans Paris, which contains live recordings from 29 April 1979 recorded live somewhere in Paris.

Ippu-Do - Time Of The Season

Written by Rod Argent and released as a single by The Zombies in 1968. Ippu-Do released it as a single in 1981 and it was part of the album Lunatic Menu in 1982.

Mixed Feelings - Ice Machine

Ice Machine was written by Vince Clarke and released as the single b-side of Dreaming Of Me in 1981. Mixed Feelings were also a Basildon based early 80’s synthpop band which had a post homage release of their repertoire in 2014. Although the band recorded in various studios they never celebrated a proper release in the 80’s. The band split up in 1984.

Rainy Day - I'll Keep It With Mine

Written by Bob Dylan and released as a single by Fairport Convention in 1969. Rainy Day released it as a single in 1984.

Lene Lovich – It’s You, Only You (mein schmerz)

Written by Ferdinand Baaker and Hugo Sinzheimer (real name Hugo J, Postma) and released as a single in 1979 by the Dutch Band The Meteors. The Song also appears on the Meteors album Teenage Heart from 1979. In 1980 Lene Lovich and The Meteors met during the recording of the film Cha Cha, since It’s You, Only You (mein schmerz) is also featured on the soundtrack ; this time performed by Hugo & The Meteors. Lene Lovich recorded the song in 1982 and released it as a single in October 1982. It is featured on the album No Man’s Land from the same year. The Meteors original was featured on Volume 2 Of The Unknown Beauty Of The 80’s.

Bruce Woolley & The Camera Club – Video Killed The Radio Star

Bruce Woolley co-wrote the song with Geoffrey Downes and Trevor Horn for The Buggles album The Age Of Plastic. Both versions were released in 1979 as a single. Bruce Woolley re-recorded several Buggles songs for his solo project, which are all featured on the Bruce Woolley & The Camera Club album. Nice detail Thomas Dolby played keyboards on the album and co-wrote several songs.

Da! - The Good's Gone

Written by Pete Townsend for The Who album My Generation from 1965. Da! Released it on their 1981 album The Good’s Gone…

Sue Cuss – You Really Got Me

Written by Ray Davis for The Kinks debut album From The Kinks in 1964. Released as a single in the same year. Sue Cuss released it as a single in 1979. It was one of the two singles she released that year, after which she disappeared from the music scene.

Videosex – Across The Universe

Written by John Lennon and Paul MacCartney and released as single by The Beatles in 1970 for the album Let It Be. Videosex recorded the song in 1987, but was released in 1997 on their Arhiv album.

The Fibonaccis - Purple Haze

Written by Jimi Hendrix and released as a single in 1967 by the Jimi Hendrix Experience.

Courage Of Lassie - Sag mir wo die Blumen sind

Where Have All The Flowers Gone was written by Pete Seeger and released as a single by the Kingston Trio in 1961. With German lyrics by Max Colpet (Kolpenitzky), Marlene Dietrich released it as a single in 1962. Courage Of Lassie released it on the album The Temptation To Exist in 1986.

Frankie Goes To Hollywood - Ferry (go)

Ferry Cross The Mersey was written by Gerry Marsden and released as a single in 1964 by Gerry And The Peacemakers. Frankie Goes To Hollywood recorded the song for their debut album Welcome To The Pleasuredome from 1984.

Dæmion ‎- Dizzy

Written by Ferry Weller and singer/songwriter Tommy Roe and released as a single by the latter in 1969. Dæmion ‎released it as a single in 1982.

Ukraine – I Can See Clearly Now

Written and released as a single in 1972 by Johnny Nash. Ukraine recorded and released it as a single ten years later. It turned out to be their final release.

Robert Wyatt – Biko

Written by Peter Gabriel and released on the third self-titled Peter Gabriel album, also known as Melt, in 1980. Robert Wyatt released the song as a single in 1984.

The tracks:

01. Second Face - Love In The Shadows (3:46)
02. Flesh For Lulu - I'm Not Like Everybody Else (4:03)
03. Escalators - Wooly Bully (4:02)
04. Marie Léonor - Johnny Et Marie (3:31)
05. FM - Good Vibrations (4:24)
06. The Mission - Mr. Pleasant (2:52)
07. Taxi Girl - All Tomorrow's Parties (5:10)
08. Ippu-Do - Time Of The Season (4:17)
09. Mixed Feelings - Ice Machine (3:30)
10. Rainy Day - I'll Keep It With Mine (3:18)
11. Lene Lovich – It’s You Only You (mein schmerz) (3:54)
12. Bruce Wooley & The Camera Club – Video Killed The Radio Star (2:49)
13. Da! - The Good's Gone (3:56)
14. Sue Cuss - You Really Got Me (2:12)
15. Videosex – Across The Universe (4:00)
16. The Fibonaccis - Purple Haze (3:58)
17. Courage Of Lassie - Sag mir wo die Blumen sind (3:58)
18. Frankie Goes To Hollywood - Ferry Cross The Mersey (4:04)
19. Dæmion ‎-Dizzy (3:26)
20. Ukraine – I Can See Clearly Now (3:49)
21. Robert Wyatt - Biko (4:37)

The link: ...
Enjoy.
Last edited by Rissan on Fri Apr 15, 2022 1:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rissan
The Jet Set

Re: SHARE: The Unknown Beauty Of The 80's Vol. 218

Postby Fred80s » Tue Apr 12, 2022 8:28 pm

Fantastic! thanks rissan.
Fred80s
Personal Jesus

Re: SHARE: The Unknown Beauty Of The 80's Vol. 218

Postby crichert » Wed Apr 13, 2022 5:28 pm

As always, thank you Ris - fantastic collection!! :mrgreen:
crichert
Room at the Top