Site Announcements

View the results of the New Wave Outpost 20th Anniversary Top Songs Poll here:
http://www.nwoutpost.com/poll/results

Coming Soon: Top Albums Poll. Stay tuned!

Welcome to the new forum!
If you are a previously registered user, you must do the following:

1) Click on 'I forgot my password' at the login prompt
2) Enter your username and email you registered with and submit
3) You will receive an email with an activation link. Please click it and then log in using the random password provided
4) Go to your User Control Panel and click on the Profile tab
5) Click on 'Edit Account Settings' and enter your new password twice followed by the random password provided earlier. Click Submit.
6) That's it...you're back in! You may have to log in again with your new password.

If you forgot your email address, please email me (MikeP) at: mikepaulsen12@gmail.com

Note: you must now use bb code buttons in the Post form for embedded images, YouTube videos, etc.
For example, to post embedded YouTube videos: paste in the link (e.g., http://www.youtube.com/watch?XYZ1234567), highlight it and then click the YouTube button.

Numan Dance Era Demos Bootleg Cassette?

Discuss hard-to-find or out-of-print New Wave and '80s Alternative, and share a few songs along the way.
NOTE: requesting songs that are entirely unrelated to the genres discussed here or easily found on CD is strongly discouraged and posts will be enforced as needed.

Numan Dance Era Demos Bootleg Cassette?

Postby Sundayguy » Tue Apr 12, 2022 11:47 am

I recently came across this song on Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u1VV2Oibewk
An unreleased track from the time of the Dance album. According to comments there's supposedly a cassette
with more of these outtakes and demos that is/was sold on Ebay. If so my own searching didn't turn any up, for sale. (I'm in the USA)

Anyone out there have this, and can share a rip, or maybe know of some other source where the cassette is still being sold?
Hoping more of these demos/outtakes see the light of day soon, as an official release, but that doesn't seem at all likely.

Thanks, in advance, as always, to anyone who can share a copy of this boot, or has info where it can be purchased :)
Sundayguy
The Jet Set

Re: Numan Dance Era Demos Bootleg Cassette?

Postby xymox970 » Tue Apr 12, 2022 5:59 pm

Cannot help you there, unfortunately.....

but would like to share my opinion on the topic.
I`m a huge Dance (album) fan. Easily my favorite of all his studio albums,
but I am really not sure if I would like to hear an outtake or demo version of say - such a perfectly crafted miniature as Cry The Clock Said,
where the atmospherics factor is brought up to such a outstanding level that really hearing that official cca 10 minute version, I couldnt possible imagine anything else other than that I would personally ever like to hear regarding that particular piece.

There is probably good reason why some early recordings such as these never see the light of day.

Of course, it all depends.....and can be considered on a case-by-case basis.
Sometimes it can really be worth it to dig through the archives (The Pleasure Principle ?),
but I really wonder if that could be applied to an album such as Dance.
IMHO - no.
xymox970
The Jet Set

Re: Numan Dance Era Demos Bootleg Cassette?

Postby Sundayguy » Tue Apr 12, 2022 7:35 pm

Hey xymox970,

Like you I'm a real fan of the Dance album. When it came out it was so different, and ethereal, and unlike about anything else out there at the time.
I had so looked forward to the years later CD re-release with the *bonus* track "Dance" but when it came out I was a bit underwhelmed.
Don't get me wrong, it was cool to hear that previously unheard "lost" track, and it does fit in well with the actual LP tracks, but I think I was
expecting something...more. Maybe like another deep dive, like Slowcar To China II. The "Dance" track reminded me mostly of the B-side I Sing Rain,
very sparse and bare, almost totally stripped down.
Now, however, I can better appreciate the "Dance" track just as it is, and for it's stark simplicity rather than despite it. The "I Suppose" track in the Youtube video
to me goes along well with the rest of the Dance album material, and though (like you) I doubt there are any real GEMS in any of the demos or outtakes, just being a fan I'd still like to hear them, for better or worse.
BTW there was actually a 3 track Beggar's Banquet promo cassette (or something similar?) with demo or early versions of Cry The Clock Said (slightly different mix)
She's Got Claws (different vocal, maybe guide vocal?) and Moral (no real difference that I can tell) and those are all up on Youtube too, for anyone who'd want to give a listen. Thanks for your input and please keep me in mind should a rip of more Dance demos makes it's way to you! :wink:
Sundayguy
The Jet Set

Return to Obscure 80s Central