Site Announcements

View the results of the New Wave Outpost 20th Anniversary Top Songs Poll here:
http://www.nwoutpost.com/poll/results

Coming Soon: Top Albums Poll. Stay tuned!

Welcome to the new forum!
If you are a previously registered user, you must do the following:

1) Click on 'I forgot my password' at the login prompt
2) Enter your username and email you registered with and submit
3) You will receive an email with an activation link. Please click it and then log in using the random password provided
4) Go to your User Control Panel and click on the Profile tab
5) Click on 'Edit Account Settings' and enter your new password twice followed by the random password provided earlier. Click Submit.
6) That's it...you're back in! You may have to log in again with your new password.

If you forgot your email address, please email me (MikeP) at: mikepaulsen12@gmail.com

Note: you must now use bb code buttons in the Post form for embedded images, YouTube videos, etc.
For example, to post embedded YouTube videos: paste in the link (e.g., http://www.youtube.com/watch?XYZ1234567), highlight it and then click the YouTube button.

Thanks for Gazebo - music series!

Discuss hard-to-find or out-of-print New Wave and '80s Alternative, and share a few songs along the way.
NOTE: requesting songs that are entirely unrelated to the genres discussed here or easily found on CD is strongly discouraged and posts will be enforced as needed.

Thanks for Gazebo - music series!

Postby musfan » Sun May 01, 2022 9:49 am

I was going to hold off to post this (I'm still going through some of the original series - I'm now listening to some of the non-English songs), but I figure the time is as good as any to post this.

A million thanks to Gazebo Music for all his hard work in exposing many lost and underappreciated songs from the 80s to a larger audience on this forum. Hits, extended mixes, rare one-off singles, deep album cuts and local compilations across a wide variety of musical styles, countries and languages. Deep dives into local music scenes such as the Milwaukee scene from the late 70s and 80s (Shivvers power-pop, but plenty of other groups) and Arizona scene from the 80s. Christian rock which leaned on new-wave influences. Songs that first appeared on nwoutpost 10 or 15 years ago, or songs which have never appeared ANYWHERE on the Internet. Whatever your interest, this collection had something for everyone.

One thing that surprised me was how many of the uploads from this series are highly desirable on Discogs and going for high two digits or low 3 digits each. Sure, some of these songs have appeared over the years on blogs such as Goutroy, Vinyl Obscurity, Cloudberry, Postpunkmonk's, Kentuckyfriedwave and a ton of others that I can't remember right now, but to have them all in one place, often in FLAC or WAV format, is a true gem.

Thoughts on just a few of the bands from this series:

Bernard Padden - I'm not a fan of minimal spoken synth, but this stands out from most.

Bernhardts - crazy rare extended version of Send Your Heart To Me

Bop Baroque - I'm loving Remember The New Day, have to check out their other singles!

If you go to search for The Bradbray Apartment, you'll find their website, or their new 2016 issue, or a couple live songs - but nothing from their 1989 EP. Thanks to Gazebo, however, I now know their original songs!

Bully Boy - 4 songs from Frontispieces. I only heard this album a few years ago and compared it to the Cars changing from power pop to a more alternative style, although The Ripper wouldn't seem too far out of place on their albums. I think almost every song on this album is good.

Cinema - Donor Donor - UK 1982 synth that wants to be Italo-disco and begs for an extended version.

Clever Remarks - This was their first release on their own label, before Hullabaloo.

Congress - catchy songs, Martin Lister (in Alphaville from the 1990s on) in it.

The Dawn - the first or biggest Filipino New Wave band of the 1980s?

Faded Films - Faded Years. First heard this a few years ago, and was amazed that some label didn't take this song and make it a mega-hit. Incredibly catchy from a rare 7' 4 song EP. There is also an excellent song of theirs called International which is on their Soundcloud page (along with some other songs). Hey, now I have half the EP in FLAC!

Freeez - The Other Side from Idle Vice. I did not know that Freeez produced an album without John Rocca, and Idle is a very different style than IOU / Pop Goes My Love.

Hop The Train - from the album West, on Big Label Records, copyright 1988 but released in January 1989, Members were Daniel West Bergman, Brian Scott Edblad, Christopher P.E. Newman, and Scott Charles Newman. Booking through Good Music Agency 612-474-2591, recorded at Underground Studios, in Minnesota.

IQU - New Zealand group with 1 12' single, this B-side is not far removed from a slightly funkier Depeche Mode, the A-side was a dance hit in Auckland.

Jetzons - Tempe Arizona band, I had never heard of them but they were very well respected in Arizona. Fervor Records issued The Complete Jetzons in 2008.

John Victor - Take Me Away / Succeed 7' vinyl not listed in Discogs. Can't find Succeed anywhere.

Jules was Julia Fordham's first release. I never liked her music, but I do like Friends!

No Flags Etc - Janglepop from Wales, finally put out a full length From Dna To Yesterday in 2005 or so.

Pattern Play - Come On Up Dancer stuck in my head, over and over again. And yet there's no information about these guys...anywhere...

School Four Thought - NO information on them anywhere, but this B-side (The Frau) is so catchy.

There are so many examples of bands with 1 or a few singles/EPs but no full length album that seem to have dropped through the cracks. Cherry Red or one of those labels could put together a multi-series box set of lost songs, but it's unlikely that would happen. Fortunately some bands from the 80s that never achieved wide success are uploading their never-released albums on Bandcamp, which you can preview first, for a very affordable price.
musfan
Personal Jesus

Re: Thanks for Gazebo - music series!

Postby Gazebo Music » Mon May 02, 2022 5:50 am

Mus, I'm speechless! This write up is most humbling and appreciated! I wish I had time to do this for every track I have used in the past! You have dug deep and your research is accurate and most impressive. Give me a few days and I will answer some questions and provide more info/pics for these rare records you mention which haven't surfaced on Discogs yet. Thanks so much!
Gazebo Music
Personal Jesus

Re: Thanks for Gazebo - music series!

Postby Fred80s » Tue May 03, 2022 7:29 pm

I agree Musfan, this series has been an absolute joy to listen to and the best sounding comps out there.
Fred80s
Personal Jesus

Return to Obscure 80s Central