Site Announcements

View the results of the New Wave Outpost 20th Anniversary Top Songs Poll here:
http://www.nwoutpost.com/poll/results

Coming Soon: Top Albums Poll. Stay tuned!

Welcome to the new forum!
If you are a previously registered user, you must do the following:

1) Click on 'I forgot my password' at the login prompt
2) Enter your username and email you registered with and submit
3) You will receive an email with an activation link. Please click it and then log in using the random password provided
4) Go to your User Control Panel and click on the Profile tab
5) Click on 'Edit Account Settings' and enter your new password twice followed by the random password provided earlier. Click Submit.
6) That's it...you're back in! You may have to log in again with your new password.

If you forgot your email address, please email me (MikeP) at: mikepaulsen12@gmail.com

Note: you must now use bb code buttons in the Post form for embedded images, YouTube videos, etc.
For example, to post embedded YouTube videos: paste in the link (e.g., http://www.youtube.com/watch?XYZ1234567), highlight it and then click the YouTube button.

SHARE: 7" collections - Thompson Twins

Discuss hard-to-find or out-of-print New Wave and '80s Alternative, and share a few songs along the way.
NOTE: requesting songs that are entirely unrelated to the genres discussed here or easily found on CD is strongly discouraged and posts will be enforced as needed.

Re: SHARE: 7" collections - Japan

Postby Gazebo Music » Thu Sep 01, 2022 7:27 am

Excellent work putting these together Passing Stranger! Nicely done.....

Thanks
Gazebo Music
Personal Jesus

Re: SHARE: 7" collections - John Foxx

Postby Passing_Stranger » Mon Sep 05, 2022 4:34 am

Monday, time for a new collection :) I'm preparing two big things but in the interim will publish several quick and easy ones. Here's a 7" collection of John Foxx. I started with Ultravox who are my ultimate band ever, but Foxx always intrigued me too. I'm very much against trying to contrast the band and him, they were and are two distinct entities, and we should be glad to have both, not to start petty wars about who's best among them (though sadly the latter seems to be only too popular with quite a few people). To me Foxx only did one stellar album (you know the one), but I'm also fond of his "In mysterious ways" LP (yes, that's right) and the other two are not too far behind. But it's the B-sides where he did some of his most out-there stuff or created songs that rivalled those chosen for albums ("This city" and " Wings and a wind" spring to mind immediately). He also gave us some fantastic instrumentals ("Film 1", "Mr No" and "Swimmer 2" are his peaks for me). What is especially good about his music is that with each passing year or two you can discover new things that you didn't notice or like in the past. Truly a rich and impressive body of work (and I'm not even talking about his post-1997 stuff!).

This collection was, as I said, rather easy. I took his "Modern art" compilations for a gathering of 7" versions, while the other stuff is from his 2008 reissues which are said to have been the best sonically and complement the A-sides nicely. As usual, I did a couple of fade-outs to create faithful 7" versions. Sadly, his beautiful cover artwork is represented rather shoddily on the Net, so the quality is all over the place somewhat, hope nobody minds.

With all this out of the way, here's the good stuff: https://mega.nz/folder/iotUEapQ#lzjEY9M3kuxr9OjQbUuClg

Enjoy!
Passing_Stranger
Room at the Top

Postby omar » Mon Sep 05, 2022 7:29 am

Excellent.
omar
Room at the Top

Postby WLR » Tue Sep 06, 2022 1:35 am

:D Fabulous addition to this series, I still have all my vinyl 7 inch records by John, including the No-One Driving double 7 inch, his album "Metamatic" still sounds futuristic over 40 years later!

Thank you.

By the way I love the album "In Mysterious Ways", it has always been one of my top albums of all time, no idea why John hates it so much.
WLR
The Jet Set

Postby Gazebo Music » Tue Sep 06, 2022 8:01 am

Agree with WLR, a fine addition to your series Passing Stranger! Nice to have them all in one place!

Job well done!

Cheers
Gazebo Music
Personal Jesus

Postby Passing_Stranger » Wed Sep 07, 2022 5:55 am

Thank you, guys! Glad to be of service :D

I just changed one track in the collection - "What kind of girl?" from "Stars on fire" single. Apparently it was a different mix to the LP one that I used originally, and I thankfully have a rip of the original 12" that had the correct version. You may want to redownload that one.

Paul, as for your previously overlooked suggestion to publish the track lists - well, it's just a basic discographical information, really. I just don't see a point when people can visit sites like http://discog.info (this one has quite a few errors and mistakes but gives an overall picture on one page). Though I'll think about it :)
Passing_Stranger
Room at the Top

Re: SHARE: 7" collections - ABC

Postby Passing_Stranger » Mon Sep 12, 2022 5:01 am

And we're moving on to the next artist, the one already suggested upthread - ABC. Their "Lexicon of love" album is among my very favourites of all New Wave/New Pop genre, it's just stellar as is acknowledged by everyone else, of course. I could never quite get into their next releases, however - only selected songs. Until "Skyscraping" album, that's is, which is marvelous and heartily recommended to those who didn't hear it. The later ones I haven't heard yet, so won't comment, besides, by then ABC weren't releasing singles anyway.

For this collection I used the late 1990s CD issues of the first four albums, which are very good soundwise, robust but not too loud. As for the others, it's the mix of CD singles, compilations and high quality vinyl rips, which surprisingly produced quite consistent results which is very pleasant.

Also, it's the start of a series of faulty collections - no matter now I tried I cannot find one of two items. For this one it's the B-side to "How to be a millionaire" single - "How to be a billionaire". The thing is, I have the actual 7" - but nothing to digitize it on. So if anyone has it in FLAC, please, share it via PM or a link here downthread. I'm sure others will be very grateful (I know I will).

Link: https://mega.nz/folder/S50yFapZ#yH-3nrQMSDGea9ifNIFebw

Enjoy!
Passing_Stranger
Room at the Top

Postby crichert » Mon Sep 12, 2022 10:42 am

Nice share, thank you Passing_Stranger!! :mrgreen:
crichert
Room at the Top

Postby WLR » Tue Sep 13, 2022 11:43 am

Passing_Stranger wrote:And we're moving on to the next artist, the one already suggested upthread - ABC. Their "Lexicon of love" album is among my very favourites of all New Wave/New Pop genre, it's just stellar as is acknowledged by everyone else, of course. I could never quite get into their next releases, however - only selected songs. Until "Skyscraping" album, that's is, which is marvelous and heartily recommended to those who didn't hear it. The later ones I haven't heard yet, so won't comment, besides, by then ABC weren't releasing singles anyway.

For this collection I used the late 1990s CD issues of the first four albums, which are very good soundwise, robust but not too loud. As for the others, it's the mix of CD singles, compilations and high quality vinyl rips, which surprisingly produced quite consistent results which is very pleasant.

Also, it's the start of a series of faulty collections - no matter now I tried I cannot find one of two items. For this one it's the B-side to "How to be a millionaire" single - "How to be a billionaire". The thing is, I have the actual 7" - but nothing to digitize it on. So if anyone has it in FLAC, please, share it via PM or a link here downthread. I'm sure others will be very grateful (I know I will).

Link: https://mega.nz/folder/S50yFapZ#yH-3nrQMSDGea9ifNIFebw

Enjoy!

Another fabulous collection, thank you.

Have you heard "Lexicon Of Love II", the most recent release, it is a stunning album, equal to the first Lexicon Of Love album.
WLR
The Jet Set

Postby AJWAVE » Tue Sep 13, 2022 5:54 pm

Thank you for share
WLR wrote:Have you heard "Lexicon Of Love II", the most recent release, it is a stunning album, equal to the first Lexicon Of Love album.

100% agree with you
Are you going to start screwing over Redo like you screwed over MSK with your endless requests? what an idiot you turned out to be MATT
AJWAVE
Room at the Top

Postby Gazebo Music » Wed Sep 14, 2022 5:42 am

Excellent work again Passing Stranger and Job nicely done! Also, agree Lexicon Of Love II is brilliant! Cheers
Gazebo Music
Personal Jesus

Postby Qbertqubes » Thu Sep 15, 2022 5:57 am

I am Looking for "Sixty seconds later" which is the B side for "Look Good Tonight" Thank you in advance
Qbertqubes
Personal Jesus

Postby AJWAVE » Sun Sep 18, 2022 3:59 am

Qbertqubes wrote:I am Looking for "Sixty seconds later" which is the B side for "Look Good Tonight" Thank you in advance

i hope Martin releases this on digital platforms. The A Side is not the best thing he has done but it is acceptable, the B side is more interesting track
Are you going to start screwing over Redo like you screwed over MSK with your endless requests? what an idiot you turned out to be MATT
AJWAVE
Room at the Top

Postby Fred80s » Sun Sep 18, 2022 5:25 am

Another fantastic set, thanks passing_stranger
Fred80s
Personal Jesus

Postby jmazbass » Sun Sep 18, 2022 4:05 pm

Hi @passing_stranger,

Thank you for posting this archive, as well as your John Foxx and Flock of Seagulls 7" sets. Very comprehensive!

Just curious, did you pull the King without a Crown from the UK CD single? I believe that is the only version with the alternate arrangement. I'm not sure if it's officially considered a 7" single mix, but it's definitely an alternate version different than the album. The UK Detroit Mix 12" of When Smokey Sings also has an alternate version of "When Smokey Sings" with a different middle 8 and other differences.

Also, there is a promo edit of Night You Murdered Love which is on a UK Promo 7" which runs at 4:15. Do you need that? I use that on my ABC 7" collection.

I am always frustrated with incomplete collections, :-) here is a link to "How to a Be A Billionaire:"

https://mega.nz/file/YS8knJCD#mW-sNu2fJ ... pd81mJSF4A

Unfortunately, it's a very old rip of the 7" at 192KBPS. I'm really sorry for the low quality, but hopefully someone has a better version.

Jmazbass
jmazbass
Running Up That Hill

PreviousNext

Return to Obscure 80s Central