Site Announcements

View the results of the New Wave Outpost 20th Anniversary Top Songs Poll here:
http://www.nwoutpost.com/poll/results

Coming Soon: Top Albums Poll. Stay tuned!

Welcome to the new forum!
If you are a previously registered user, you must do the following:

1) Click on 'I forgot my password' at the login prompt
2) Enter your username and email you registered with and submit
3) You will receive an email with an activation link. Please click it and then log in using the random password provided
4) Go to your User Control Panel and click on the Profile tab
5) Click on 'Edit Account Settings' and enter your new password twice followed by the random password provided earlier. Click Submit.
6) That's it...you're back in! You may have to log in again with your new password.

If you forgot your email address, please email me (MikeP) at: mikepaulsen12@gmail.com

Note: you must now use bb code buttons in the Post form for embedded images, YouTube videos, etc.
For example, to post embedded YouTube videos: paste in the link (e.g., http://www.youtube.com/watch?XYZ1234567), highlight it and then click the YouTube button.

SHARE: 7" collections - FoxxVox & Midge Ure

Discuss hard-to-find or out-of-print New Wave and '80s Alternative, and share a few songs along the way.
NOTE: requesting songs that are entirely unrelated to the genres discussed here or easily found on CD is strongly discouraged and posts will be enforced as needed.

Re: SHARE: 7" collections - Devo

Postby crichert » Mon Nov 07, 2022 6:34 pm

Very cool - thank you!! :mrgreen:
crichert
Room at the Top

Postby Fred Taghon » Tue Nov 08, 2022 11:21 am

I sent you a couple DM's regarding the 1988 & 1990 tracks :-) Hope they help!
Fred Taghon
The Jet Set

Postby Passing_Stranger » Tue Nov 08, 2022 1:11 pm

Thank you so much, Fred! You're very generous!

And thank you for the positive reaction, guys - much appreciated! Let's talk about Devo - what are our favourite singles or albums? Have to confess mine is "Oh no! It's Devo", closely followed by "New traditionalists" and "Freedom of choice". There's fullness of approach and power to those three. From others it's only selected songs, I'm afraid (though I don't mind playing one or the other in full from time to time). As for singles, my faves are "Jerkin' back'n'forth" and "That's good", and also "Shout". I seems to prefer the floppier but poppier ones :D
Passing_Stranger
Room at the Top

Postby AJWAVE » Sun Nov 13, 2022 2:50 pm

Thanks for share Pass!
Are you going to start screwing over Redo like you screwed over MSK with your endless requests? what an idiot you turned out to be MATT
AJWAVE
Room at the Top

Re: SHARE: 7" collections - Heaven 17

Postby Passing_Stranger » Mon Nov 14, 2022 5:13 pm

Thank you guys for all your feedback, nice comments and even files! Partly that's what I started this thread for :D Now we move on, back the the UK as it happens, and a band I thought I'll have a hell of a time compiling - but apparently after years of searching and downloading from everywhere I actually managed to get the complete collection, wow! It still had a few stray bits missing but their recent box set wrapped up things nicely. I only used a couple of edits from it (namely, the seemingly banished from existence 7" edit of "Groove thang" and part 2 of "Crushed by wheels") and they're a bit higher in sound level than the overall quality but I cannot do anything about it (unless some kind souls will donate good vinyl rips :) ). Otherwise it's complete.

That means you can hear the real 7" version of "I'm your money" (I actually own a 7" and it's a rip from it) and the B-side version of "We live so fast". Singles from 1988 onwards are from their respective CD singles, otherwise the basis was the great 1992 "Best of" compilation, which has almost all A-sides, while for B-sides I mostly used vinyl rips (good ones!) and early CD versions. Overall sounds quite consistent, I'm pretty pleased with the result. Hope you'll be too :D

Link: https://mega.nz/folder/e0FTSL6B#K43chWWspJIUpWpis5NKJw

Enjoy!
Passing_Stranger
Room at the Top

Postby crichert » Mon Nov 14, 2022 7:41 pm

Love, love, LOVE IT! Thank you, Passing_Stranger! :mrgreen:
crichert
Room at the Top

Postby negative1 » Tue Nov 15, 2022 7:02 am

thanks, i'm a big fan of heaven 17.

i haven't had time to go through my 7 inches though.

maybe in a few weeks.

later
negative1
Room at the Top

Postby Gazebo Music » Thu Nov 17, 2022 7:04 am

Excellent again Passing Stranger! These 7" Collections make for great reference, Job well done!
Gazebo Music
Personal Jesus

Postby WLR » Sat Nov 19, 2022 1:38 pm

Excellent work again, thank you.
WLR
The Jet Set

Postby Passing_Stranger » Sat Nov 19, 2022 4:22 pm

Thank you guys for your feedback! Have to say the work on this collection was something of a revelation to me. For years I could only stomach the first two of H17 albums, but now I like the singles from the third quite a bit. But biggest surprises are "Trouble" - I completely forgot how great it is, it's now among my frim favourites and it's criminal it was a flop at the time, - and "Ballad of Go Go Brown" - I haven't heard that album yet but the song's great, very unusual for them and quite catchy. I also cannot get the part 2 of "Crushed by the wheels" out of my head - it's that good (reminds me of the synthed-up part 2 of "White wedding" by Billy Idol, too). Evidently I simply had to wait for the right time to explore this band :D

Next one will be equally "uneasy" for me, by the way!
Passing_Stranger
Room at the Top

Postby Fred80s » Sun Nov 20, 2022 7:24 am

Excellent addition to this series.
Great work passing Stranger
Fred80s
Personal Jesus

Re: SHARE: 7" collections - OMD

Postby Passing_Stranger » Mon Nov 21, 2022 9:43 am

So, from H17 to an even bigger band. OMD, as I mentioned, were tough-going band for me - mainly because of the vocals. It was such a pain in the neck to hear Andy McCluskey's vocalizing most of the time! Almost (but not quite) as painful as trying to bear the tones of David Sylvian. I can't say I changed my mind over time, I simply got used to hearing him (besides since mid 1980s he got considerably mellower and, therefore, more bearable). What compensated hugely was the music. Their early classics are pure gold, and even later, seemingly forgotten offerings like "Telegraph", "Tesla girls", "We love you" or "Dreaming", are fantastic pop. I even have a soft spot for early 1990s songs like "Sailing on the seven seas" or "Call my name". They're more of a singles band for me, the albums I find uneven. But that never stopped me from collecting stuff (especially as their B-sides are often much better than the A-sides!), and recently I was able to get their 7" collection together.

The main problem here is with the B-sides. You'd think the band of OMD's stature would have all their singles digitized, cleaned and nicely presented but I just couldn't find the decent rips of "Julia's song", "Wrappup" and "Concrete hands". Therefore those three come from recent remasters and sound considerably louder than the rest. If anyone has good rips of those (or even one of them) please send me a PM, if that's not too much trouble.

Link: https://mega.nz/folder/axsyFISJ#38-xPtYfDQQY1qnfNVnwLg

Enjoy!
Passing_Stranger
Room at the Top

Postby Passing_Stranger » Mon Nov 21, 2022 9:45 am

Also, wanted to ask you guys - should I keep strictly to the original 7" format or should I add the B-sides from different countries (like I did in the Devo folder)? Say, US B-sides after the main program. Would that be too much? What do you think?
Passing_Stranger
Room at the Top

Postby Sean » Mon Nov 21, 2022 10:15 am

Thanks again buddy for these 7" collections. They are outstanding. I say a definite "yes" to including the b-sides from different countries.
I am a camera!!!
Sean
Room at the Top

Postby Buzzcox » Mon Nov 21, 2022 12:11 pm

Yes, these collected releases are a joy. Thanks for your diligence and generosity.
Buzzcox
Running Up That Hill

PreviousNext

Return to Obscure 80s Central