Site Announcements

View the results of the New Wave Outpost 20th Anniversary Top Songs Poll here:
http://www.nwoutpost.com/poll/results

Coming Soon: Top Albums Poll. Stay tuned!

Welcome to the new forum!
If you are a previously registered user, you must do the following:

1) Click on 'I forgot my password' at the login prompt
2) Enter your username and email you registered with and submit
3) You will receive an email with an activation link. Please click it and then log in using the random password provided
4) Go to your User Control Panel and click on the Profile tab
5) Click on 'Edit Account Settings' and enter your new password twice followed by the random password provided earlier. Click Submit.
6) That's it...you're back in! You may have to log in again with your new password.

If you forgot your email address, please email me (MikeP) at: mikepaulsen12@gmail.com

Note: you must now use bb code buttons in the Post form for embedded images, YouTube videos, etc.
For example, to post embedded YouTube videos: paste in the link (e.g., http://www.youtube.com/watch?XYZ1234567), highlight it and then click the YouTube button.

SHARE: 7" collections - Thompson Twins

Discuss hard-to-find or out-of-print New Wave and '80s Alternative, and share a few songs along the way.
NOTE: requesting songs that are entirely unrelated to the genres discussed here or easily found on CD is strongly discouraged and posts will be enforced as needed.

SHARE: 7" collections - Thompson Twins

Postby Passing_Stranger » Mon Jul 04, 2022 10:11 am

Hello guys! Been away a bit and return recharged :D Just wanted to let you know about my new project here - I decided to create digital versions of some "New Wave" artists' 7" releases. Not that I have nothing to do with my time, on the contrary, but 7" were always my fascination and I finally decided to gather all the correct A- and B-side versions in one place for everyone's enjoyment. Right now there are about a dozen of those, but I intend to expand over time. Still, there are odd versions I don't have, so I hope there are kind people here that can help out (I'll note what I'm missing in corresponding entries).

Not much more to say, for many people here it's nothing special, of course, but maybe some will find those collections useful. Everything's in FLAC. And the artwork's from Discogs :D

First here is my favourite band: https://mega.nz/folder/qpMkCYZA#A3PtwUnMJ-l960lTGAu_2Q

Enjoy!

Edit: To clarify - those are not the vinyl rips but CD ones. Most of the A-sides are taken from the compilation called "The Voice" (1997) with B-sides from that one too and also from late 1990s CD reissues of UreVox albums for sound level consistency. Think I'll do FoxxVox singles too in the near future and add them to the folder.
Last edited by Passing_Stranger on Mon Sep 11, 2023 8:55 am, edited 24 times in total.
Passing_Stranger
Room at the Top

Re: SHARE: 7" collections - Ultravox

Postby crichert » Mon Jul 04, 2022 12:22 pm

Very nice share, thank you Passing Stranger. Like you, I'm always intrigued by the 7" single. I often find radio edits or 7" mixes not found on the album, which are always a nice bonus. :mrgreen:
crichert
Room at the Top

Postby AJWAVE » Mon Jul 04, 2022 4:09 pm

Thank you for share
It's a nice addition to the musical library

Julio
Are you going to start screwing over Redo like you screwed over MSK with your endless requests? what an idiot you turned out to be MATT
AJWAVE
Room at the Top

Postby PKPN » Mon Jul 04, 2022 4:34 pm

Welcome back!

These sound great. Thanks for sharing.

In the future, can you put something in the files to indicate they're homemade digital edits, not authentic vinyl rips? I really do appreciate the music, don't get me wrong. It's just that these are probably going to get out into the wild, and it's frustrating to run across fakes where everything has been made to look like it's from vinyl, when really it's from CD or has been edited (perhaps imperfectly). If nothing else, maybe just add a comment in the metadata to clarify that it is a digital reconstruction by a fan. Besides, don't you want credit for your hard work? :)

(I say this as someone who has made a bunch of these kinds of edits, myself, and only tagged some of them too late...)
PKPN
Take On Me

Postby AudioChimp » Wed Jul 06, 2022 12:06 pm

all singles are available to download digitally in lossless already aren't they? they are a mixture of 7" and 12" versions with a few including extra tracks

https://www.qobuz.com/us-en/interpreter ... ing-albums
AudioChimp
Take On Me

Postby Passing_Stranger » Wed Jul 06, 2022 5:04 pm

AudioChimp wrote:all singles are available to download digitally in lossless already aren't they? they are a mixture of 7" and 12" versions with a few including extra tracks

https://www.qobuz.com/us-en/interpreter ... ing-albums

Not all there, and anyway, it's my own version, hopefully nobody minds :D
Passing_Stranger
Room at the Top

Postby Passing_Stranger » Wed Jul 06, 2022 5:08 pm

PKPN wrote:Welcome back!

These sound great. Thanks for sharing.

In the future, can you put something in the files to indicate they're homemade digital edits, not authentic vinyl rips? I really do appreciate the music, don't get me wrong. It's just that these are probably going to get out into the wild, and it's frustrating to run across fakes where everything has been made to look like it's from vinyl, when really it's from CD or has been edited (perhaps imperfectly). If nothing else, maybe just add a comment in the metadata to clarify that it is a digital reconstruction by a fan. Besides, don't you want credit for your hard work? :)

(I say this as someone who has made a bunch of these kinds of edits, myself, and only tagged some of them too late...)

Thank you very much for encouragement! Of course I should've elaborated on the composition of those, just been too tired after a hot day and simply wanted to get this out quick :) As for the credit, just never thought about it. And besides, the metadata is easily erased or altered if one wants to. But it's an interesting thought. Maybe I should do a Word file for the whole folder with the full display of what was taken from where. Time-consuming, I know, but I like this kind of stuff :D
Passing_Stranger
Room at the Top

Postby Fred80s » Sun Jul 10, 2022 8:39 am

Amazing collection.

Thanks, Passing_Stranger .
Fred80s
Personal Jesus

Re: SHARE: 7" collections - Nik Kershaw

Postby Passing_Stranger » Mon Jul 11, 2022 7:56 am

Friends, here's a new collection for this week. Recently I've been unexpectedly taken by Nik Kershaw's works and got sufficiently interested to have a look if I can compile his 7" discography. And, to my surprise and delight, yes, I actually could! So I did. He has a neat and tidy discography, without much in a way of irritating vinyl-only edits, his label has taken a good care of his works, with B-sides generously featured alongside hits and album songs. So, armed with a couple of early 1990s compilations, 80% of the work was very simple. Everything else was completed with the help of some high quality vinyl rips - and voila! An easy job compared to some of the upcoming artists who actually did their level best to make work for people like me just too damn hard.

Link: https://mega.nz/folder/ntdXnCLZ#mrJQVxIR9yfTw9Sk7Oeh7A

Enjoy!

P.S. I try to make sure the sound is consistent so I don't use brickwalled stuff from recent compilations. May sound quieter as a consequence but I personally like it that way.
Passing_Stranger
Room at the Top

Postby omar » Mon Jul 11, 2022 8:55 am

Noticed that When A Heart Beats sounds like it's in mono. Is the 7" supposed to be like that?
omar
Room at the Top

Postby humanracer » Mon Jul 11, 2022 11:21 am

Yes there is a mono version of WAHB

Full info on all the versions can be found at http://louvanhille.free.fr/
Life’s what you make it
humanracer
The Jet Set

Postby Passing_Stranger » Mon Jul 11, 2022 5:29 pm

omar wrote:Noticed that When A Heart Beats sounds like it's in mono. Is the 7" supposed to be like that?

Thank you! Got the wrong file there. Changed it now to the correct one :)
Passing_Stranger
Room at the Top

Postby Sean » Wed Jul 13, 2022 9:47 am

Thank you buddy for this. Just curious, the subject line for this says Nik Kershaw. Did you also share a 7" collection for Nik Kershaw?
I am a camera!!!
Sean
Room at the Top

Postby Passing_Stranger » Wed Jul 13, 2022 2:11 pm

Sean wrote:Thank you buddy for this. Just curious, the subject line for this says Nik Kershaw. Did you also share a 7" collection for Nik Kershaw?

Yes, I did - just four comments up :D Have fun!
Passing_Stranger
Room at the Top

Postby Sean » Wed Jul 13, 2022 11:43 pm

Man must be getting old. I totally did not see that. Thank you.
I am a camera!!!
Sean
Room at the Top

Next

Return to Obscure 80s Central