Site Announcements

View the results of the New Wave Outpost 20th Anniversary Top Songs Poll here:
http://www.nwoutpost.com/poll/results

Coming Soon: Top Albums Poll. Stay tuned!

Welcome to the new forum!
If you are a previously registered user, you must do the following:

1) Click on 'I forgot my password' at the login prompt
2) Enter your username and email you registered with and submit
3) You will receive an email with an activation link. Please click it and then log in using the random password provided
4) Go to your User Control Panel and click on the Profile tab
5) Click on 'Edit Account Settings' and enter your new password twice followed by the random password provided earlier. Click Submit.
6) That's it...you're back in! You may have to log in again with your new password.

If you forgot your email address, please email me (MikeP) at: mikepaulsen12@gmail.com

Note: you must now use bb code buttons in the Post form for embedded images, YouTube videos, etc.
For example, to post embedded YouTube videos: paste in the link (e.g., http://www.youtube.com/watch?XYZ1234567), highlight it and then click the YouTube button.

SHARE: 7" collections - FoxxVox & Midge Ure

Discuss hard-to-find or out-of-print New Wave and '80s Alternative, and share a few songs along the way.
NOTE: requesting songs that are entirely unrelated to the genres discussed here or easily found on CD is strongly discouraged and posts will be enforced as needed.

Re: SHARE: 7" collections - Classix Nouveaux

Postby Sean » Mon Oct 17, 2022 11:03 am

You are spoiling us with all of these great collections. Thank you.
I am a camera!!!
Sean
Room at the Top

Re: SHARE: 7" collections - Visage

Postby elviscaprice » Sun Oct 23, 2022 9:25 am

Passing_Stranger wrote:while I also used DJPaulT's rips where appropriate. First single and "We move" are rips from my own 7"s, hope no-one will be thrown off by vinyl noises as that's the best I have (well, I could've used Rubellan's remasters but they're too loud for this collection; on the other hand, I used his remaster of "Beat boy"'s 7" as it's the only one available).

Thanks Passing Stranger for putting these together. I'll refer to them when remastering vids. Often, I just do my own edits as needed from the best remastering available. I don't think Rubellan's remasters are too loud for any collection. If you think they are too loud, just rework them, to the level you want (Although out of respect I wouldn't use available material from his store). I don't understand folks comments about vinyl. I avoid vinyl at all costs for any work, just a necessary evil on a noisy medium which requires a lot of work to get to proper digital (if done right). DJPaulT's rips are great but far from matching any quality digital remastering. With such great digital electronic equipment today, it matches any great analog setup with similar budget. I don't get why anybody would ever want vinyl, other than the digital doesn't exist. The advantages are far too great with proper digital.

Keep up the great work,
Elvis 8)
elviscaprice
Personal Jesus

Postby Sean » Mon Oct 24, 2022 10:27 am

Just curious, did you ever compiled a 7" collection for the Buggles?
I am a camera!!!
Sean
Room at the Top

Postby Passing_Stranger » Tue Oct 25, 2022 3:53 pm

Sean wrote:Just curious, did you ever compiled a 7" collection for the Buggles?

Thank you for your nice words, Sean! As for Buggles, well, as much as I like them ("The age of plastic" is one of my favourite albums ever! And I recently started to warm up to "Adventures..." in a big way), I don't really feel a band with two albums and six or so singles warrant a separate collection. Besides it's all on their CDs so is easily available. So no, not yet at least :)
Passing_Stranger
Room at the Top

Re: SHARE: 7" collections - Visage

Postby Passing_Stranger » Tue Oct 25, 2022 4:02 pm

elviscaprice wrote:I don't understand folks comments about vinyl. I avoid vinyl at all costs for any work, just a necessary evil on a noisy medium which requires a lot of work to get to proper digital (if done right). DJPaulT's rips are great but far from matching any quality digital remastering. With such great digital electronic equipment today, it matches any great analog setup with similar budget. I don't get why anybody would ever want vinyl, other than the digital doesn't exist. The advantages are far too great with proper digital.

Thank you Elvis!

You touched upon an interesting topic re: vinyl. Speaking for myself, obviously, I simply like the sound from vinyl better. It feels softer and nicer on the ear. Besides, the major point is that the music at the time was made for vinyl, all those technical specifications etc, so it is the medium to get the songs from. The CD sound is often (not always, though!) too clinical, somehow just doesn't feel right. As for modern remasters, well, it's often like the whole new version altogether, i.e. not authentic, bringing elements that were not supposed to be accented and so on, as well as just too loud most of the time (getting "proper digital" therefore is good luck and not at all the everyday occurrence).

I don't mean to start an unnecessary discussion, the internets are full of those, I'm just stating my case here.
Passing_Stranger
Room at the Top

Re: SHARE: 7" collections - Thomas Dolby

Postby Passing_Stranger » Wed Oct 26, 2022 6:56 am

A bit late this week due to lost of work, but better late than never :D Here's a new collection, this time for Thomas Dolby. He was always quite hit and miss with me, I had to pick the songs I like carefully. But it's often not that I like the artist so much but because something intrigues me. I always wanted to make such a collection, but one thing or other was missing or not to my liking. The job is done now (well, mostly). It transpired all his post 1988 singles are available on CDs, so I used those, as for the earlier stuff, I gradually got hold of lots of quality vinyl rips so that filled the gap nicely.

As usual, I also added his side projects, pseudonym and collaboration singles. It's with those that I have the most problem. I could not find the B-side to Dolby's Cube first single - "Get on out of my mix", and the Tokyo mix of "Field work", his duet with Ryuichi Sakamoto, is also missing (well, I have the song but it's mastered so loudly - and on an official compilation! - that I refused to use it). So if anyone is able to help, I'll be most grateful!

With that said, here is the collection itself, hope you'll like it!

Link: https://mega.nz/folder/qgVknK6I#pHPzZW48GoT5_z8v5QG-gg

Enjoy!
Passing_Stranger
Room at the Top

Postby negative1 » Thu Oct 27, 2022 7:23 am

thanks for putting up thomas dolby.

can you post a listing though. i can't check out what you have included right now.

all of those fieldwork mixes are on cd, in a couple of places.
i have all of them.

the main one:
https://www.discogs.com/release/2555010 ... rrangement

the b-side of the get on out my mix 7 inch is an exclusive a cappela version, i ripped and posted it here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1anZwPQtOTE

will have to dig up the audio file.

later
negative1
Room at the Top

Postby Willbfree » Thu Oct 27, 2022 10:49 am

Thanks for this effort!

For those who already have The Singular Thomas Dolby (from which most of the title tracks are sourced) and the collector's edition of TGAOW, the rarities that appeared on neither of those CDs which you may therefore want to extract from this collection seem to be:

The single mix of "Budapest by Blimp" (probably sourced from the 3" cd single) found here in the Airhead single;
the alternate mix of "The Jungle Line" (has a different outro than heard on Live Wireless though it is the very same recording) found here on the vinyl rip of She Blinded Me With Science;
the Edit of "The Wreck of the Fairchild" (though I suspect it may be a fan-recreation of the edit using The Singular Thomas Dolby as the source) found here on the Airwaves single;
"Salsa Picante" (Spanish version of Hot Sauce that hasn't reappeared anywhere) found here on the Hot Sauce single;
"Googooplexus" (throwaway variant of May the Cube Be With You that hasn't reappeared anywhere) found here on the May the Cube Be With You single;
the three songs from the Jungle Line 7" (including the original mix of "Urban Tribal", which for the collector's edition of TGAOW was remixed and had harmonies by Dolby's daughter added);
and for completists there's an Edit of "Cloudburst at Shingle Street" found here on the I Scare Myself single - but its "edit" is merely an early fade out (before the chanting) of the album version.
Willbfree
Take On Me

Postby Passing_Stranger » Sat Oct 29, 2022 4:16 pm

negative1 wrote:can you post a listing though. i can't check out what you have included right now.

all of those fieldwork mixes are on cd, in a couple of places.
i have all of them.

the main one:
https://www.discogs.com/release/2555010 ... rrangement

I'm busy for the time being to do lists but you can always check this site: http://discog.info

As for "Field work" mixes, I couldn't use the Tokyo mix from "Field-Work-Steppin-Into-Asia-The-Arrangement" because it's mastered too loudly. If you have a quieter sounding version, I'll be grateful.
Passing_Stranger
Room at the Top

Postby Passing_Stranger » Sat Oct 29, 2022 4:19 pm

Willbfree wrote:For those who already have The Singular Thomas Dolby (from which most of the title tracks are sourced) and the collector's edition of TGAOW, the rarities that appeared on neither of those CDs which you may therefore want to extract from this collection seem to be:

Thank you Willbfree for your effort, it's pretty accurate :D

"The Wreck of the Fairchild" is indeed a recreation that I did after the person who had the single described it to me. Everything else is from the original sources, i.e. not touched by me in any way.
Passing_Stranger
Room at the Top

Postby Fred80s » Sun Oct 30, 2022 6:12 am

A great addition to the series.

thanks Passing_Stranger
Fred80s
Personal Jesus

Postby WLR » Mon Oct 31, 2022 2:36 am

Never really got into Dolby's music, so some of these singles are new to me, so it will be nice to give these 7 inch singles a spin, enjoying your varied 7 inch collections, so thank you.
WLR
The Jet Set

Re: SHARE: 7" collections - China Crisis

Postby Passing_Stranger » Mon Oct 31, 2022 5:54 am

Thank you for your replies, guys, it's so nice to have little discussions here once in a while :D Meanwhile here's a new collection. China Crisis were as tough as Dolby for me to get into, mainly because of the vocals, but quite a few of their songs left a lot to be desired too. They're firmly a second tier band for me, but that never stopped me from collecting stuff - just for the hell of it :D So I gathered enough to be able to compile this collection. Granted CC are nicely represented on CD: their "Collection" from 1990 is nearly perfect in its double disc version and other compilations also had the necessary stuff. Though I don't understand the neglect their single edits receive, but that was oft-discussed already, we all know this problem, so I had to use several vinyl rips - but don't worry, they're very good, you won't notice :) Some B-sides (live recordings) come from recent remasters so please bear with me (but they still fit with the overall sound picture).

This is the faulty collection, of course: I still don't have the 7" version of "This Occupation" and the 7" mix of "Tragedy & mystery" I only have on picture disc that I can't digitize at the moment. I've asked for the former several times and nobody seems to be willing to share, so I don't hold out much hope, but if anyone gets the feeling they can share those two (or one of them), please don't hesitate to PM me.

Link: https://mega.nz/folder/3p8g3ZBD#4xtb6xlguSGwtkzEBVsesQ

Enjoy!
Passing_Stranger
Room at the Top

Re: SHARE: 7" collections - Devo

Postby Passing_Stranger » Mon Nov 07, 2022 4:35 pm

Hi guys! Time for a new collection! So far all the performers featured were British which wasn't intentional nor was it a sole purpose. So now is the break from the theme with the band from the USA! Devo were one of the forerunners, widely debated in their day and widely revered now. So I long wanted to do justice to their singles, seeing how the albums are often re-released but no comprehensive collection of B-sides and edits is out there (due to many labels they were contracted to, mainly). Thankfully they weren't too lazy to make original B-side and 7" edits, and thankfully they have enough fans who care for their stuff, so gathering the necessary bits and pieces was only a matter of time and luck. So now I'm ready.

Some notes are necessary, of course. First of all, the edit of "Uncontrollable urge" isn't from the single, it's my own work. I haven't heard the edit yet, it's nowhere to be found (unless you buy a single), so it's only a guesswork from the timing available. If anyone can provide me with the rip of it, I'll be most grateful. Assistance is needed for the singles from 1988-1990 - they were released on CDs but I don't have those or the rips of them. If anyone can help - please do so for the general good. Oh, and yes - there's only an A-side of "Dr Detroit" theme, on the B-side is some other guy and I cannot find his song in suitable format and quality (and not much interested, to be honest).

Also, I wanted to include the UK singles, too, as they featured the unique B-sides often, but I didn't want to duplicate stuff. So if there was a general version of the A-side to both countries, then I simply added the UK flip songs to the folder after the US ones (and an artwork too). This way you get everything. With that said:

Link: https://mega.nz/folder/TkkyEIZa#VQYkNzIYhVIRsxEaeaH79w

Enjoy!
Passing_Stranger
Room at the Top

Re: SHARE: 7" collections - Devo

Postby Gazebo Music » Mon Nov 07, 2022 5:32 pm

Thanks for compiling these collections Passing Stranger! Nicely done!
Gazebo Music
Personal Jesus

PreviousNext

Return to Obscure 80s Central