Site Announcements

View the results of the New Wave Outpost 20th Anniversary Top Songs Poll here:
http://www.nwoutpost.com/poll/results

Coming Soon: Top Albums Poll. Stay tuned!

Welcome to the new forum!
If you are a previously registered user, you must do the following:

1) Click on 'I forgot my password' at the login prompt
2) Enter your username and email you registered with and submit
3) You will receive an email with an activation link. Please click it and then log in using the random password provided
4) Go to your User Control Panel and click on the Profile tab
5) Click on 'Edit Account Settings' and enter your new password twice followed by the random password provided earlier. Click Submit.
6) That's it...you're back in! You may have to log in again with your new password.

If you forgot your email address, please email me (MikeP) at: mikepaulsen12@gmail.com

Note: you must now use bb code buttons in the Post form for embedded images, YouTube videos, etc.
For example, to post embedded YouTube videos: paste in the link (e.g., http://www.youtube.com/watch?XYZ1234567), highlight it and then click the YouTube button.

SHARE: Darkroom - 1985 - A Test of Time

Discuss hard-to-find or out-of-print New Wave and '80s Alternative, and share a few songs along the way.
NOTE: requesting songs that are entirely unrelated to the genres discussed here or easily found on CD is strongly discouraged and posts will be enforced as needed.

SHARE: Darkroom - 1985 - A Test of Time

Postby crichert » Mon Jan 09, 2023 6:45 pm

Hi all,

Another tape digitally restored this weekend to share. This time, it's one of my fav Canadian bands that flew under the radar for many, and that's Darkroom.

Frontman Jim Gray and guitarist Alan Marks had previously left the bands they were in and formed Darkroom. With the additions of Wolf Radke on guitars and keyboards, bassist Garry Law and Tim Palmar on drums, they toured the local Edmonton area circuit and Robert Montgomery soon agreed to manage them.

They went to Sundown Recorders in ’82, and with Ron Vaugeois (One Horse Blue) producing, released a four-track EP called PRESSURE on Vera Cruz Records. Still making their rounds on the circuit, the edgy guitar work coupled with the underlying new wave/pop of the keyboards eventually caught the attention of WEA Canada’s Howard Steele.

He signed them to a deal in the spring of ’83 (one of the first Edmonton groups to be linked to a major label) and immediately shipped them back to Sundown to work with owner Wes Dakus. With new bassist Jeff Schmidt, they re-worked three of the four tracks from the EP, as well as a dozen or so other original tunes. The result was SAN PAKU, a record that managed to combine elements of new wave with hard-edged guitars and featured tight hooks and strong melodies. “In Dim Light” and the title track made their way onto the charts. Although both failed to crack the Top 40, the label only gave the record minimal push, and yet still gained critical praise, and at one time were actually mistaken as an English import. The title track found its way onto a 12″ EP early the next year, which featured an extended remix and the unreleased “Fixing Pieces.”

They ventured off to Toronto to record their sophomore album at Phase One Studios. With the addition of Barry Lindal taking over on keyboards and Tom Treumuth as producer, an additional recording was done at Farmyard Studio in Buckinghamshire, England and in Thunder Road Studio in Calgary. A TEST OF TIME was in the stores by the summer of ’85, and featured a more predominantly keyboard-oriented sound. “Don’t Play With Broken Hearts” was the first single, but again failed to make a dent in the charts. Other notable cuts included a cover of Marianne Faithful’s “Broken English” and “Lions Made of Stone” and “Put Away Your Toys,” both written by Gord and Hugh Leggat (Foot In Cold Water, Leggat, Mississippi Hippies).

My vinyl copy is in rough shape after many years of use, and sadly none of Darkroom's music has been given the remastering treatment it deserves, so when I stumbled upon a factory sealed cassette of "A Test of Time", I decided to digitize and share here. I hope you enjoy it as much as I do!

https://mega.nz/folder/eckGSCSQ#4mr8Ky2KnUgjThN62K6l6g
crichert
Room at the Top

Re: SHARE: Darkroom - 1985 - A Test of Time

Postby Sean » Tue Jan 10, 2023 10:03 am

Awesome, thanks Cory.
I am a camera!!!
Sean
Room at the Top

Postby mynameisbryce » Tue Jan 10, 2023 5:03 pm

Thank you! I first heard them on a compilation: https://www.discogs.com/master/1329998- ... Hits-Album
mynameisbryce
Running Up That Hill

Postby Gazebo Music » Tue Jan 10, 2023 6:06 pm

Cor, an excellent overlooked album by Darkroom no doubt and great Rip/Re-Mastering job on the cassette! Sounds great!
Gazebo Music
Personal Jesus

Postby xymox970 » Tue Jan 10, 2023 6:29 pm

I wondered whether it was the same Darkroom (the band) as the one with the track San Paku.
Incidentally, that is one of the tracks that certainly goes on my best of "LBNF 80s" list.
Unforgettable track.
xymox970
The Jet Set

Postby Uvox » Wed Jan 11, 2023 4:39 am

My twopence to this post, DARKROOM first release, San Paku --
https://www.discogs.com/release/953416- ... m-San-Paku

Vynilrip, MP3 320:
https://mega.nz/folder/lYlFSZ5a#Jsf3rlrqpmyTl8f-IANM4A
Uvox
The Jet Set

Postby mynameisbryce » Thu Jan 12, 2023 2:07 pm

Thanks Uvox! Definitely worth a re-issue.
mynameisbryce
Running Up That Hill

Postby Rissan » Fri Jan 13, 2023 2:01 am

Thanks crichert and Uvox.
Rissan
The Jet Set

Return to Obscure 80s Central