Site Announcements

View the results of the New Wave Outpost 20th Anniversary Top Songs Poll here:
http://www.nwoutpost.com/poll/results

Coming Soon: Top Albums Poll. Stay tuned!

Welcome to the new forum!
If you are a previously registered user, you must do the following:

1) Click on 'I forgot my password' at the login prompt
2) Enter your username and email you registered with and submit
3) You will receive an email with an activation link. Please click it and then log in using the random password provided
4) Go to your User Control Panel and click on the Profile tab
5) Click on 'Edit Account Settings' and enter your new password twice followed by the random password provided earlier. Click Submit.
6) That's it...you're back in! You may have to log in again with your new password.

If you forgot your email address, please email me (MikeP) at: mikepaulsen12@gmail.com

Note: you must now use bb code buttons in the Post form for embedded images, YouTube videos, etc.
For example, to post embedded YouTube videos: paste in the link (e.g., http://www.youtube.com/watch?XYZ1234567), highlight it and then click the YouTube button.

OMD "Dazzle Ships" 40th Anniversary CD

OMD "Dazzle Ships" 40th Anniversary CD

Postby omar » Thu Feb 02, 2023 8:55 am

Out on March 31st and compiled by Paul Humphreys himself with bonus tracks (demos mostly).

Tracklist:

Radio Prague
Genetic Engineering
ABC Auto-Industry
Telegraph
This Is Helena
International
Dazzle Ships (Parts II, III And VII)
The Romance Of The Telescope
Silent Running
Radio Waves
Time Zones
Of All The Things We've Made
Telegraph - Very Early Demo / 1982
Silent Running - Demo
Sold Our Souls - The Avenue Demo
Shakespeare '82
Untitled Instrumental '82
In Heaven Above - 4- NEU Demo
Telegraph - Live 1984

It would've been nice to have 12" mixes too which were on the 2008 reissue.
omar
Room at the Top

Re: OMD "Dazzle Ships" 40th Anniversary CD

Postby ZippY » Thu Feb 02, 2023 9:14 am

No thanks, I'll stick to my 2008 CD version. 12 Inch versions & B-sides: that's enough for me. Not interested in those demos.
ZippY
Personal Jesus

Postby Glenn » Thu Feb 02, 2023 11:55 am

Where is the Crush reissue...? Come on! This is welcomed though.
Glenn
Take On Me

Postby thunderbird2 » Fri Feb 03, 2023 2:07 am

omar wrote:Out on March 31st and compiled by Paul Humphreys himself with bonus tracks (demos mostly).

Tracklist:

Radio Prague
Genetic Engineering
ABC Auto-Industry
Telegraph
This Is Helena
International
Silent Running
Radio Waves
Time Zones
Silent Running - Demo
Shakespeare '82
Telegraph - Live 1984

Agreed , it would have been nice to have the definitive version instead of a drip feed of some Demos ( which are welcomed as well) I am still waiting for the alternative 12 inch version of Telegraph to come out digitally that has the reverse Intro .
you would have thought that they would have collected the previous release tracks and then added the Demos and anything else still around of that period
thunderbird2
Personal Jesus

Postby magnum » Fri Feb 03, 2023 6:04 am

thunderbird2 wrote:
omar wrote:Out on March 31st and compiled by Paul Humphreys himself with bonus tracks (demos mostly).

Tracklist:

Radio Prague
Genetic Engineering
ABC Auto-Industry
Telegraph
This Is Helena
International
Silent Running
Radio Waves
Time Zones
Silent Running - Demo
Shakespeare '82
Telegraph - Live 1984

Agreed , it would have been nice to have the definitive version instead of a drip feed of some Demos ( which are welcomed as well) I am still waiting for the alternative 12 inch version of Telegraph to come out digitally that has the reverse Intro .
you would have thought that they would have collected the previous release tracks and then added the Demos and anything else still around of that period

think there is a reverse intro version of telegraph which is on the 1988 best of cd
magnum
The Jet Set

Postby postpunkmonk » Fri Feb 03, 2023 6:23 am

magnum wrote:
thunderbird2 wrote:

Tracklist:

Radio Prague
Genetic Engineering
ABC Auto-Industry
Telegraph
This Is Helena
International
Silent Running
Radio Waves
Time Zones
Silent Running - Demo
Shakespeare '82
Telegraph - Live 1984

think there is a reverse intro version of telegraph which is on the 1988 best of cd

That's true, but only on the UK version of the CD. It's not on the US CD in any form. Both of the "Dazzle Ships" singles were omitted on the US CD.
https://postpunkmonk.com
For further rumination on the Fresh New Sound of Yesterday®
postpunkmonk
Personal Jesus

Postby thunderbird2 » Sat Feb 04, 2023 6:49 am

magnum wrote:
thunderbird2 wrote:

Tracklist:

Radio Prague
Genetic Engineering
ABC Auto-Industry
Telegraph
This Is Helena
International
Silent Running
Radio Waves
Time Zones
Silent Running - Demo
Shakespeare '82
Telegraph - Live 1984

You are right I have just played my wife's cd and also checked on Spotify. I never knew that , thanks and have secretly moved her cd into my collection
thunderbird2
Personal Jesus

Postby Passing_Stranger » Sun Feb 05, 2023 3:22 pm

This seems an appropriate thread to ask - can anybody please explain the recent-ish hype about this album? I've seen countless times it hailed as some sort of a lost masterpiece, an achievement of epic proportions. What is it that I cannot hear? To me it's a weak record of a band bereft of ideas and/or tired and creatively spent (at least for the time being) but having to release something, anything after the unexpected mammoth success of a previous one. Sounds like they were going for "Radio activity" vibe but the experimental tracks are barely listenable - clearly such things weren't their forte. As for proper songs, well, using a couple of old B-sides as part of a main program of eight songs is always a sign that something's wrong. But even the other songs are mostly subpar, B-side level fillers. I'd only single out "Telegraph" and "Radio waves" as LP material, maybe "International" is nice, too, but I could hardly bear Andy's tuneless screaming (sic!) - and on this album it surfaces with disturbing regularity.

Alright, after a couple dozens of listens it all kinda grows on you, but seen objectively it's very clearly a lesser, not major work, something of a footnote and a deserved flop. So again - why so much praise? Anyone?
Passing_Stranger
Room at the Top

Postby Spudboy » Sun Feb 05, 2023 4:42 pm

For me, in the early 80's, it was exciting to hear a band go out of their "comfort zone" to experiment with new technologies and new ideas.
It wasn't a "by-the-number" release and THAT is what appealed to me as a teenager (who fancied himself a music non-comformist).

"This is Helena.... your M.C. for today." :wink:
Still looking for my girl with auburn hair and tawny eyes...
Spudboy
Personal Jesus

Postby 80rulez » Mon Feb 06, 2023 10:37 am

Passing_Stranger wrote:This seems an appropriate thread to ask - can anybody please explain the recent-ish hype about this album? I've seen countless times it hailed as some sort of a lost masterpiece, an achievement of epic proportions. What is it that I cannot hear? To me it's a weak record of a band bereft of ideas and/or tired and creatively spent (at least for the time being) but having to release something, anything after the unexpected mammoth success of a previous one. Sounds like they were going for "Radio activity" vibe but the experimental tracks are barely listenable - clearly such things weren't their forte. As for proper songs, well, using a couple of old B-sides as part of a main program of eight songs is always a sign that something's wrong. But even the other songs are mostly subpar, B-side level fillers. I'd only single out "Telegraph" and "Radio waves" as LP material, maybe "International" is nice, too, but I could hardly bear Andy's tuneless screaming (sic!) - and on this album it surfaces with disturbing regularity.

Alright, after a couple dozens of listens it all kinda grows on you, but seen objectively it's very clearly a lesser, not major work, something of a footnote and a deserved flop. So again - why so much praise? Anyone?

I purchased the US reissued CD for the sake of completing my OMD collection in the late 80s. I have not played it for over 30 years. As far as I can remember. it's a forgetable album.

I'm a bit curious with your comment, will put it in my car and give it a listen this week.
80rulez
Take On Me

Postby CharlburyF1 » Mon Feb 06, 2023 12:50 pm

Just in case nobody has heard the reverse start version here it is in FLAC.

https://mega.nz/file/B6xxFBwR#kbb5fXYrd ... oeNj6GCXnA

It also appears to be a unique version as it weighs in at 3min 43sec where as the single version is 2min 44sec the album version is 2min 57sec and the extended version is 5min 38secs!! Anyway enjoy all

Rob
CharlburyF1
Take On Me

Postby omar » Mon Feb 06, 2023 4:50 pm

Mt favorite version of Telegraph is the Special Remix which times at 4:42min. It was a rarer mix as compared to the standard 12" (5:36min).
omar
Room at the Top

Postby Aevion93 » Mon Feb 06, 2023 11:11 pm

Passing_Stranger wrote:This seems an appropriate thread to ask - can anybody please explain the recent-ish hype about this album? I've seen countless times it hailed as some sort of a lost masterpiece, an achievement of epic proportions. What is it that I cannot hear? To me it's a weak record of a band bereft of ideas and/or tired and creatively spent (at least for the time being) but having to release something, anything after the unexpected mammoth success of a previous one. Sounds like they were going for "Radio activity" vibe but the experimental tracks are barely listenable - clearly such things weren't their forte. As for proper songs, well, using a couple of old B-sides as part of a main program of eight songs is always a sign that something's wrong. But even the other songs are mostly subpar, B-side level fillers. I'd only single out "Telegraph" and "Radio waves" as LP material, maybe "International" is nice, too, but I could hardly bear Andy's tuneless screaming (sic!) - and on this album it surfaces with disturbing regularity.

I have to agree with you; I don't get the hype with it. Mind you, a lot of that 'lost masterpiece' business seems to come from Andy and Paul themselves. Sadly it's probably one of my least favourite albums of theirs, second only to The Pacific Age.

All that being said, this really does seem to be a missed opportunity to have all the bonus material in one place. Even a separate set like the A&M one would've been fine. Hopefully this will be the last reissue of the first four albums, but I won't hold my breath.
Aevion93
Take On Me

Postby WLR » Tue Feb 07, 2023 3:40 am

A bit underwhelmed by this re-issue, not exactly a lot to get excited about in the bonus content, I am not even sure we needed another edition of the album as the previous remaster had the B sides and 12 inch versions.
WLR
The Jet Set

Postby thunderbird2 » Tue Feb 07, 2023 4:36 am

omar wrote:Mt favorite version of Telegraph is the Special Remix which times at 4:42min. It was a rarer mix as compared to the standard 12" (5:36min).

I have a canadian 12" ( i am from the UK ) , which has genetic engineering new extended version and Telegraph new extended remixed version, both seem to be remixed by Rhett Davies

is the telegraph version the same as you mentioned Omar , unfortunately it does not have the timings on the vinyl and my record player is not working at the moment
thunderbird2
Personal Jesus

Next

Return to News, Reissues & Compilations