Site Announcements

View the results of the New Wave Outpost 20th Anniversary Top Songs Poll here:
http://www.nwoutpost.com/poll/results

Coming Soon: Top Albums Poll. Stay tuned!

Welcome to the new forum!
If you are a previously registered user, you must do the following:

1) Click on 'I forgot my password' at the login prompt
2) Enter your username and email you registered with and submit
3) You will receive an email with an activation link. Please click it and then log in using the random password provided
4) Go to your User Control Panel and click on the Profile tab
5) Click on 'Edit Account Settings' and enter your new password twice followed by the random password provided earlier. Click Submit.
6) That's it...you're back in! You may have to log in again with your new password.

If you forgot your email address, please email me (MikeP) at: mikepaulsen12@gmail.com

Note: you must now use bb code buttons in the Post form for embedded images, YouTube videos, etc.
For example, to post embedded YouTube videos: paste in the link (e.g., http://www.youtube.com/watch?XYZ1234567), highlight it and then click the YouTube button.

OMD "Dazzle Ships" 40th Anniversary CD

Re: OMD "Dazzle Ships" 40th Anniversary CD

Postby omar » Tue Feb 07, 2023 9:04 am

Yep, that's it.
omar
Room at the Top

Postby Glenn » Tue Feb 07, 2023 5:21 pm

Passing_Stranger wrote:This seems an appropriate thread to ask - can anybody please explain the recent-ish hype about this album? I've seen countless times it hailed as some sort of a lost masterpiece, an achievement of epic proportions. What is it that I cannot hear? To me it's a weak record of a band bereft of ideas and/or tired and creatively spent (at least for the time being) but having to release something, anything after the unexpected mammoth success of a previous one. Sounds like they were going for "Radio activity" vibe but the experimental tracks are barely listenable - clearly such things weren't their forte. As for proper songs, well, using a couple of old B-sides as part of a main program of eight songs is always a sign that something's wrong. But even the other songs are mostly subpar, B-side level fillers. I'd only single out "Telegraph" and "Radio waves" as LP material, maybe "International" is nice, too, but I could hardly bear Andy's tuneless screaming (sic!) - and on this album it surfaces with disturbing regularity.

Alright, after a couple dozens of listens it all kinda grows on you, but seen objectively it's very clearly a lesser, not major work, something of a footnote and a deserved flop. So again - why so much praise? Anyone?

Would highly recommend the Wikipedia entry for this album in response. Lot's of interesting information around it's initial reception and reassessed legacy both from the band and many others. A great read.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dazzle_Ships_(album)

Note the link here isn't including the closing ')'. Not sure how to fix but you can jump to the article from the page that does come up.
Last edited by Glenn on Fri Feb 10, 2023 10:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Glenn
Take On Me

Postby Fred Taghon » Thu Feb 09, 2023 9:02 am

I agree, I don't quite get the hype about this OMD album. OMD has such amazing melodies throughout their catalog but there was very little of that here. I've probably only managed to listen to this album start to finish 3x. Time to move on to "Crush" and "The Pacific Age" please.
Fred Taghon
The Jet Set

Postby obs » Sun Feb 12, 2023 3:18 am

magnum wrote:think there is a reverse intro version of telegraph which is on the 1988 best of cd

postpunkmonk wrote:That's true, but only on the UK version of the CD. It's not on the US CD in any form. Both of the "Dazzle Ships" singles were omitted on the US CD.

It's on the CA CD, as well.

US get gypped again, like with the Eurythmics Greatest CD (although the US one has some slightly different endings on some tracks).

Discogs has the track times for the CA 12". I'm assuming someone manually timed it.
https://www.discogs.com/release/140912
BTW, I don't suppose that yours came with a black inner sleeve that has a plastic lining inside. Bought mine used in the late 80s and was surprised to see such a premium inner.
obs
Room at the Top

Postby ABOATES » Sun Feb 12, 2023 10:39 am

Always liked the album for what it was...to me it's sort of a novelty record. No question they were copying Kraftwerk totally. IMO their best album was Crush. I always kept OMD in the Blancmange/Icehouse/Our Daughters Wedding/Fiat Lux/Kissing the Pink/Frazier Chorus-type genre. They were a band that had Depeche Mode/Simple Minds/Tears for Fears-like asperations, but they simply weren't that talented. Good band with some good tracks...not great or life changing or groundbreaking just good.
btw I prefer the sound of the original CD to the remasters. The overly bombastic bass and drums of the remasters ruins the twee sound of the album for me. Drums machines of this time period should sound like pencils on tabletop, not a 21 Pilots album from 5 years ago.
ABOATES
Take On Me

Postby omar » Sat Apr 15, 2023 10:27 pm

The sound quality on the new 2023 cd is better than the 2008 remaster although the older one had better bonus tracks.
omar
Room at the Top

Postby Last Film Star » Tue Apr 18, 2023 8:07 am

ABOATES wrote:They were a band that had Depeche Mode/Simple Minds/Tears for Fears-like asperations, but they simply weren't that talented. Good band with some good tracks...not great or life changing or groundbreaking just good.

What? are you on acid?
Last Film Star
Take On Me

Postby André » Tue Apr 18, 2023 8:59 am

Last Film Star wrote:
ABOATES wrote:They were a band that had Depeche Mode/Simple Minds/Tears for Fears-like asperations, but they simply weren't that talented. Good band with some good tracks...not great or life changing or groundbreaking just good.

What? are you on acid?

That was an asperated appreciation of the band.
André
Switchin' to Glide

Postby ABOATES » Tue Apr 18, 2023 10:21 pm

Ha! Not on acid at all. I am an OMD fan as well. But sorry, they are second tier compared to Kraftwerk, Japan, Depeche Mode and Tears for Fears. Great band for sure, but I am pretty sure I could find an interview where even they admit this point.
ABOATES
Take On Me

Previous

Return to News, Reissues & Compilations