Site Announcements

View the results of the New Wave Outpost 20th Anniversary Top Songs Poll here:
http://www.nwoutpost.com/poll/results

Coming Soon: Top Albums Poll. Stay tuned!

Welcome to the new forum!
If you are a previously registered user, you must do the following:

1) Click on 'I forgot my password' at the login prompt
2) Enter your username and email you registered with and submit
3) You will receive an email with an activation link. Please click it and then log in using the random password provided
4) Go to your User Control Panel and click on the Profile tab
5) Click on 'Edit Account Settings' and enter your new password twice followed by the random password provided earlier. Click Submit.
6) That's it...you're back in! You may have to log in again with your new password.

If you forgot your email address, please email me (MikeP) at: mikepaulsen12@gmail.com

Note: you must now use bb code buttons in the Post form for embedded images, YouTube videos, etc.
For example, to post embedded YouTube videos: paste in the link (e.g., http://www.youtube.com/watch?XYZ1234567), highlight it and then click the YouTube button.

Depeche Mode - Ghosts Again of course

Re: Depeche Mode - Ghosts Again of course

Postby ABOATES » Sun Mar 26, 2023 4:06 am

That's cool...I live in the US and the only way a person under 20 has heard of DM here would be if their parent had a record collection that they still played.
ABOATES
Take On Me

Postby ABOATES » Sun Mar 26, 2023 4:14 am

Fred Taghon wrote:
ABOATES wrote:That's what social media has done to the youth. Some have heard of them now due to Never Let Me Down Again being used in some TV show recently. Otherwise, if you aren't on Tik Tok, no one under age 20 knows who you are.

Lol well I guess that ALSO works both ways, since I have no clue in the universe who anyone on TikTok is, and I couldn't care less hehe.

You are wise to avoid it. I would liken it to the visual equivalent of Twitter. Personally I avoid all forms of social media. I watch music stuff on YouTube and post on a music forum or two...that's about it. Unfortunately, at least in the US, everyone uses their cell phones for interpersonal communication now. Face to face is old hat. It's not unusual to see families eating dinner at a restaurant with the entire family sitting w their face in their phone instead of talking to one another.
ABOATES
Take On Me

Postby Fred Taghon » Mon Mar 27, 2023 4:07 pm

Well I waited 3 days and checked 3 local stores and no one has the new DM CD. First time in about 35yrs I haven't been able to get it (locally) on release day! Guess I'll have to give in and hit up Amazon.

The stores I checked all had plenty of vinyl though lmao. And most of it is the same vinyl they've had for 2+yrs.
Fred Taghon
The Jet Set

Postby ABOATES » Tue Mar 28, 2023 10:45 am

Funny you say that because CD sales do still outperform vinyl. I guess the popular kids like the "retro" vinyl appeal. That said, I think the record trend is slowing down. Frankly, I don't know how these little mom n' pop record stores stay in business. Although when you see the price tag of some of the records I suppose I do understand. Something like Devo's Freedom of Choice record that I probably paid $2.99 for back in the day is like $29.99. Insane to me!
ABOATES
Take On Me

Postby Fred Taghon » Mon Apr 03, 2023 10:52 am

Finally got the new DM CD delivered yesterday and just finished listening to it. As a life-long (USA) fan since first catching a live concert broadcast on Nickelodeon in 1983 when I was an impressionable 12yrs old, I have continued to pick up every album released. It pained me to admit that I did not particularly enjoy their last 3 albums. For sure, each one had some good songs ("Wrong", "Perfect", "Soothe My Soul", "Going Backwards"), but on the whole, they were fairly forgettable. I was getting electro-grunge-blues-meets-nine-inch-nails fatigue. Their last truly great song/single for me is 2005's "Precious".

So I had no big expectations for "Memento Mori". But, maybe out of habit or devotion, or maybe just nostalgia, I always get excited to give a new Depeche Mode album a chance to win me over. After one full listen, I have to say this new album is pretty darn good! It is worlds better than the last three in my opinion, and I have a feeling after a few more listens it will surpass "Playing The Angel" which is the last DM album I truly liked ("Ultra" is the last one I truly LOVED). The songs are more melodic and memorable and the production is cleaner - I like how it SOUNDS.

Unlike the previous 3 albums, I have already found myself replaying the album to let it begin to sink in. Looking over the writing credits, I have to say, the co-writing with Richard Butler (of Psychedelic Furs) on 4 tracks, and Christian Eigner and Peter Gordeno on 1 is the likely source of the new melodic infusion. The final track "Speak To Me", written by Dave, Christian Eigner, Dave Ford and Marta Salogni, is a tidal wave build-up that, while quite simple, provides a very strong, intense closing to the album. It actually left me with goosebumps.

Martin's solo writing provides a 1-2-3 punch all in a row with "People Are Good", "Always You" and "Never Let Me Go". Easily 3 of their strongest songs in a long while. And Dave's vocals are fantastic from start to finish. He's not trying to "swagger" as much this time around, but rather, just sing the songs.

I'm a little mystified as to why they chose "My Cosmos Is Mine" as the 2nd song (not technically a single I guess?) to promote the album. For me, it's the weakest track. I still like it, and I think it's going to grow on me, but literally everything else on the album is better. "Ghosts Again" is definitely one of the most satisfying highlights, but there are so many others that are in the same league!

Bottom line, is I am genuinely finding myself excited about "Memento Mori"! I am a very happy Depeche Mode fan today!
Fred Taghon
The Jet Set

Postby obs » Tue Apr 04, 2023 3:16 am

ABOATES wrote:I mean the 2nd track's chorus is literally Gahan just repeating "watch another angel die" over and over.
This *is* the guy who still does his spin move again and again. I was surprised he did it during Ghosts Again on TV. Seems more like a move for an uptempo song.

ABOATES wrote:Funny you say that because CD sales do still outperform vinyl.
Vinyl sales finally eclipsed CDs.
https://www.bbc.com/news/64919126
https://www.nme.com/news/music/vinyl-ou ... rs-3378006
obs
Room at the Top

Postby ABOATES » Tue Apr 04, 2023 1:03 pm

Well, you are right that for one year (2022) vinyl did slightly outsell CD's. We'll see if that lasts. Either way, it is still very close and silly that stores only seem to focus on vinyl when almost as many people buy CD's. It will be interesting to see if CD's have a similar resurgence in 10 years time. I cannot imagine paying $60.00+ for a vinyl record. To each his own.
ABOATES
Take On Me

Postby ABOATES » Tue Apr 04, 2023 1:14 pm

As for the DM album...it would seem that they are "hip" again w the music press. Every review is over the top with praise. No criticism at all. It just seems like they want you to like it. I understand why people want to like them. They were a terrific band for a long time and made some amazing music. But I'm not interested in trying to like something equivocally because I am supposed to. I also think their live performances (as I've seen posted on YouTube) are totally cringey (to use a term you young'uns might relate to). Gahan acts like a cheesy lounge singer...pointing at Gore before he starts playing, flapping around with jazz hands like an over the hill Elvis impersonator. And lets not mention his horrid off-key singing coupled with Neil Peart junior on the drums. Ugh. People are actually paying $300.00 to see it! I saw them in 1986 for $25.00!
ABOATES
Take On Me

Postby Aevion93 » Wed Apr 05, 2023 7:57 pm

I think you forgot the obligatory "rant over"....
Aevion93
Take On Me

Postby ABOATES » Thu Apr 06, 2023 4:35 am

Enjoy the Silence... :lol: (making fun of myself there...)
ABOATES
Take On Me

Postby ABOATES » Fri Apr 07, 2023 2:21 pm

Well...I am going to eat my words a bit here...this sounds really good! Dave's voice is on key and present, drummer is in the pocket and not overplaying, and this is a very cool rendition of this track...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lok52VfIE_c
ABOATES
Take On Me

Postby AJWAVE » Fri Apr 07, 2023 2:57 pm

I just got the new album. I was indifferent on the first listen. I'm trying to get something to stick in my head but omitting "Ghosts again", "Speak To Me" and "Before We Drown" it still seems like a weak album. Although I recognize that it is the best since "Sounds of the Universe" (2009)
Are you going to start screwing over Redo like you screwed over MSK with your endless requests? what an idiot you turned out to be MATT
AJWAVE
Room at the Top

Postby ABOATES » Thu Apr 13, 2023 5:01 am

I am half expecting silly modern phrases like DM "broke the internet" now to fit in w the ridiculous hyperbolic reviews of the new album.

"This is an album that cavorts through time and memory in capturing the human experience, the malaise and beauty that haunts, the tremors of mortality, the inspiring delights and tensions of being, and our reeling unknown wishes. Depeche Mode is perhaps one of the only bands that can portray the mortal malaise and the tensions of life and make it entirely palpable and real — in a way that is translucent, so very heartfelt, and tangible. Their insight on the human condition in the sphere of music is possibly with no other, apart from our dearly departed Bowie."

Give me a break.
ABOATES
Take On Me

Postby obs » Wed Apr 26, 2023 1:44 am

Was that an Amazon customer review? :D
(I get a kick out of the music press wannabes I see on there from time to time.)
obs
Room at the Top

Postby ABOATES » Wed Apr 26, 2023 4:33 am

No. It was a review from some site...Atwood Magazine...?
To be clear...I was a MAJOR DM fan in the 80's/90's. Probably from 84-94, they were my fave band. I am really dogging more on the media here than DM. They made the best record they could make...no problem. When the media tries to convince me that it is Black Celebration 2.0 I become skeptical.
ABOATES
Take On Me

Previous

Return to News, Reissues & Compilations