Site Announcements

View the results of the New Wave Outpost 20th Anniversary Top Songs Poll here:
http://www.nwoutpost.com/poll/results

Coming Soon: Top Albums Poll. Stay tuned!

Welcome to the new forum!
If you are a previously registered user, you must do the following:

1) Click on 'I forgot my password' at the login prompt
2) Enter your username and email you registered with and submit
3) You will receive an email with an activation link. Please click it and then log in using the random password provided
4) Go to your User Control Panel and click on the Profile tab
5) Click on 'Edit Account Settings' and enter your new password twice followed by the random password provided earlier. Click Submit.
6) That's it...you're back in! You may have to log in again with your new password.

If you forgot your email address, please email me (MikeP) at: mikepaulsen12@gmail.com

Note: you must now use bb code buttons in the Post form for embedded images, YouTube videos, etc.
For example, to post embedded YouTube videos: paste in the link (e.g., http://www.youtube.com/watch?XYZ1234567), highlight it and then click the YouTube button.

New flock of seagulls compilation

Re: New flock of seagulls compilation

Postby ZippY » Fri Feb 17, 2023 1:15 pm

BigManRestless wrote:Isn't track 12, disc 2 listed as I Ran (12" Mix) just the album version again? It has the same running time.

Yup! ... same version as on the album (again). I don't know how many times this is released on CD by now *lol* ...

Disc 2 Track 06 is the 1983 12 Inch Version of (It's Not Me) Talking and has nothing to do with this release because it's a re-make of the first single from 1981. If it would have appeared on a Listen Deluxe Edition as a bonus, I can understand. That's why I think the other albums won't have this kind of Deluxe treatment because that song was placed here.
Last edited by ZippY on Fri Feb 17, 2023 1:40 pm, edited 5 times in total.
ZippY
Personal Jesus

Postby omar » Fri Feb 17, 2023 1:26 pm

What's missing is the UK LP mix of I Ran which timed at 4:55min. I think it may have appeared on cd once before a long time ago.
omar
Room at the Top

Postby BigManRestless » Sat Feb 18, 2023 6:49 am

And the original Bill Nelson version of (It's Not Me) Talking is listed as the remix, I think?

What a mess.
BigManRestless
The Jet Set

Postby Fred Taghon » Sat Feb 18, 2023 9:11 am

I'm encouraged to hear the main album itself sounds really good, as it has been screaming out for a decent reworking since it's first appearances on CD. Are the first several bonus tracks on disc 2 of the same quality?? I had to drastically adjust EQ on those tracks with the cherry red release (most especially on Pick Me Up which was the b-side of "I Ran" on the USA 7" and I listened to it as often as the A-side hehe).

Unfortunate that the 12" version of "I Ran" seems to appear twice. In the USA, this mix replaced the original album version (which did appear on the 1982 USA vinyl LP) on the 1988 CD release.

How is the packaging? Any liner notes or booklet?
Fred Taghon
The Jet Set

Postby ZippY » Sat Feb 18, 2023 11:04 am

Fred Taghon wrote:I'm encouraged to hear the main album itself sounds really good, as it has been screaming out for a decent reworking since it's first appearances on CD. Are the first several bonus tracks on disc 2 of the same quality?? I had to drastically adjust EQ on those tracks with the cherry red release (most especially on Pick Me Up which was the b-side of "I Ran" on the USA 7" and I listened to it as often as the A-side hehe).

Unfortunate that the 12" version of "I Ran" seems to appear twice. In the USA, this mix replaced the original album version (which did appear on the 1982 USA vinyl LP) on the 1988 CD release.

How is the packaging? Any liner notes or booklet?

The so called 'digipack' is not really as such, it's way too small and made out of cardboard where the discs are stuffed in. However, there IS a booklet; more of a recent Mike Score interview and singles covers of I Ran and Telecommunication in it. The pictures are good quality and nice to have.
ZippY
Personal Jesus

Postby Fred Taghon » Fri Mar 03, 2023 6:23 am

I do a lot of photoshopping of album covers for the albumartexchange.com website (and myself of course - I'm "retrogroove_art" there), so I always appreciate quality album art, especially with new reissues.

I was at our local record store the other day and happened to spot sealed copies of AFOS and was surprised how washed out they looked, then realized they were the NEW reissues from BMG! My own 1982 copy looks way better, I'm sad to say! The coloring on the new LP sleeve is too light and the whole thing has a yellowish hue to it. I'll still be picking up the CD set because what I've heard sounds pretty good, but the quality of the artwork is disappointing.
Fred Taghon
The Jet Set

Postby ABOATES » Sat Mar 25, 2023 7:00 am

Listen to the opening of "Messages" and then listen to Editors' first two albums and you know where they stole their sound from. Love those two Editors records (and nothing since after the original guitarist left the band) but facts are facts. :-} Another band that ripped AFOS was She Wants Revenge. AFOS music with Phil Oakey singing...
ABOATES
Take On Me

Postby negative1 » Mon Mar 27, 2023 6:46 am

ABOATES wrote:Listen to the opening of "Messages" and then listen to Editors' first two albums and you know where they stole their sound from. Love those two Editors records (and nothing since after the original guitarist left the band) but facts are facts. :-} Another band that ripped AFOS was She Wants Revenge. AFOS music with Phil Oakey singing...

never heard of she wants revenge, looked them up:
Adam Bravin, Justin Warfield, Scott Ellis, Thomas Froggatt

i don't see any phil oakey in there.

later
|| | || || | |
ne gative 1
negative1
Room at the Top

Postby ABOATES » Mon Mar 27, 2023 8:49 am

I was describing the way the lead singer of She Wants Revenge copied Phil Oakey's singing style. Surely you have heard of The Human League, yes?
ABOATES
Take On Me

Postby ABOATES » Tue Mar 28, 2023 3:56 pm

negative1 wrote:
ABOATES wrote:Listen to the opening of "Messages" and then listen to Editors' first two albums and you know where they stole their sound from. Love those two Editors records (and nothing since after the original guitarist left the band) but facts are facts. :-} Another band that ripped AFOS was She Wants Revenge. AFOS music with Phil Oakey singing...

never heard of she wants revenge, looked them up:
Adam Bravin, Justin Warfield, Scott Ellis, Thomas Froggatt

i don't see any phil oakey in there.

later
|| | || || | |
ne gative 1

Thanks for your insight oh negative 1.
Later
Last edited by ABOATES on Wed Mar 29, 2023 9:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
ABOATES
Take On Me

Postby negative1 » Tue Mar 28, 2023 4:53 pm

ABOATES wrote:I was describing the way the lead singer of She Wants Revenge copied Phil Oakey's singing style. Surely you have heard of The Human League, yes?

i collect a lot of the human league related stuff, and thought it might be a side project i never heard of.

they don't sound like him at all.

later
||| || | |
negative 1
negative1
Room at the Top

Postby ABOATES » Wed Mar 29, 2023 4:02 am

I did not say the band sounded like Human League, I said the singer copied Oakey's vocal style.
There is no way you can listen to this track and not hear that. It is obvious...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7MSZ6g_sYvg
ABOATES
Take On Me

Postby ABOATES » Wed Mar 29, 2023 4:29 am

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2006/ ... .shopping6
"...Warfield grumbles like the Human League's Phil Oakey..."

https://www.amazon.com/Valleyheart-She- ... B004N44SOS
"A 10 track gem of alternative style indie pop contains mainly easy-to-listen-to romantic songs with a male vocalist that makes them sound similar to Human League of the 80's! Thanx!"

The music is more like Interpol meets a Depeche Mode cover band. Surprised you've never heard of them. A shame because there have been so many great artists and albums over the past 25 years... just for kicks, here are some 2000's era bands/artists that loosely fit in the 80's/New Wave/Post Punk genre that I would think at least some of the folks round here would enjoy:

Foals
Interpol
I Love You But I've Chosen Darkness
Sufjan Stevens
These New Puritans
Patrick Wolf
Editors
James Blake
Magnetic Fields
Future Islands
Preoccupations
Jack Penate
Bat for Lashes
The XX
St. Vincent
British Sea Power
Bloc Party
Death Cab for Cutie
The Postal Service
The Horrors
the Killers
Late of the Pier
LCD Soundsystem
MGMT
TV on the Radio
She Wants Revenge
Wild Beasts

so many more...
ABOATES
Take On Me

Postby moni » Wed Mar 29, 2023 2:48 pm

Sorry i don't think this guy sounds like Phil Oakey in any way at all.
moni
Room at the Top

Postby rewind » Wed Mar 29, 2023 7:31 pm

She Wants Revenge was a "band" that tried to ride the Interpol wave, and singer Justin Warfield definitely attempted to channel that sound.

He was much more authentic as the vocalist for Bomb The Bass on this banger: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZMJDoSmkFOc
rewind
Room at the Top

PreviousNext

Return to News, Reissues & Compilations