Site Announcements

View the results of the New Wave Outpost 20th Anniversary Top Songs Poll here:
http://www.nwoutpost.com/poll/results

Coming Soon: Top Albums Poll. Stay tuned!

Welcome to the new forum!
If you are a previously registered user, you must do the following:

1) Click on 'I forgot my password' at the login prompt
2) Enter your username and email you registered with and submit
3) You will receive an email with an activation link. Please click it and then log in using the random password provided
4) Go to your User Control Panel and click on the Profile tab
5) Click on 'Edit Account Settings' and enter your new password twice followed by the random password provided earlier. Click Submit.
6) That's it...you're back in! You may have to log in again with your new password.

If you forgot your email address, please email me (MikeP) at: mikepaulsen12@gmail.com

Note: you must now use bb code buttons in the Post form for embedded images, YouTube videos, etc.
For example, to post embedded YouTube videos: paste in the link (e.g., http://www.youtube.com/watch?XYZ1234567), highlight it and then click the YouTube button.

TELEX New "Best Of" on MUTE & Reissues coming

Re: TELEX New "Best Of" on MUTE & Reissues coming

Postby Glenn » Wed Apr 19, 2023 9:43 am

Thanks for the tip. Ordered. The bandcamp site only has four left...
Glenn
Take On Me

Postby ABOATES » Wed Apr 19, 2023 2:22 pm

Only three now...couldn't help myself... ;-)
ABOATES
Take On Me

Postby ABOATES » Thu Apr 27, 2023 4:19 am

I received this set. Like the box. Have to say, though, the mixes on first blush DO seem very different and I am not sure that I like them. So far, I've listened to a few tracks off of "Sex" and "Looney Tunes". IMO they both sound ultra quiet and thin compared to both the original mixes and the Belgium One Point reissues. There are differences in the tracks both sound-wise and vocal-wise as well. Have to give it more time.
ABOATES
Take On Me

Postby ABOATES » Sun Apr 30, 2023 5:25 am

Well, I have subsequently gone back and attempted to listen to this set again. The remasters are horrid IMO. First of all, every album (esp. "Sex" and "Looney Tunes" sounds dull, lifeless, thin, and boring. In the liner notes, Telex notes that they went back and attempted to remix every album in the vein of their first. It seems that meant make everything sound monotone, overly digitized, and generic. Further, not only are the tracks remastered, but there are new sounds added and some old sounds missing. Honestly, it feels like they did everything they could to zap the best parts of their music out. A very confusing release for one of my all-time fave bands. If you are looking for a Telex box set, I highly recommend the original one called Belgium One Point.
ABOATES
Take On Me

Postby jaybag » Tue May 09, 2023 7:54 am

ABOATES wrote:Well, I have subsequently gone back and attempted to listen to this set again. The remasters are horrid IMO. First of all, every album (esp. "Sex" and "Looney Tunes" sounds dull, lifeless, thin, and boring. In the liner notes, Telex notes that they went back and attempted to remix every album in the vein of their first. It seems that meant make everything sound monotone, overly digitized, and generic. Further, not only are the tracks remastered, but there are new sounds added and some old sounds missing. Honestly, it feels like they did everything they could to zap the best parts of their music out. A very confusing release for one of my all-time fave bands. If you are looking for a Telex box set, I highly recommend the original one called Belgium One Point.

Interesting review, ABOATES, and that's a bummer. I own the BOP set but the new one is sitting unopened on my desk, and now I'm wondering if I even bother listening to it. I'm sure I will, if only for "compare and contrast" purposes.
jaybag
Personal Jesus

Postby ABOATES » Tue May 09, 2023 6:23 pm

Maybe it is my system...would love to know if you feel the same about the new mix.
ABOATES
Take On Me

Postby jaybag » Wed May 10, 2023 7:44 am

ABOATES wrote:Maybe it is my system...would love to know if you feel the same about the new mix.

Will do (haven't opened the box yet - kinda afraid to!). I'm probably not as big a fan as you and might not notice the changes regarding new sounds added / old ones removed. I hate when re-releases are remixed. Remastered? Great! But why change the original mix? I blame George Lucas for starting this trend :D
jaybag
Personal Jesus

Postby ABOATES » Thu May 11, 2023 4:43 am

I generally agree with you on remixing and remastering. Most I have heard are not as good as the original. That said, I was interested after reading Telex's explanation. I suppose I would have had less of an issue with the new sounds added/old sounds removed if the mix itself sounded great, but to my ears it simply doesn't. It sounds flat and very much lacks proper dynamics. I have not listened to all of the CD's. I was so disheartened after the first two that I put it on the shelf and moved on.
ABOATES
Take On Me

Postby jaybag » Thu Jun 08, 2023 8:56 am

ABOATES wrote:I generally agree with you on remixing and remastering. Most I have heard are not as good as the original. That said, I was interested after reading Telex's explanation. I suppose I would have had less of an issue with the new sounds added/old sounds removed if the mix itself sounded great, but to my ears it simply doesn't. It sounds flat and very much lacks proper dynamics. I have not listened to all of the CD's. I was so disheartened after the first two that I put it on the shelf and moved on.

I finally listened to the whole thing, and I agree with you. The mastering on Sex is particularly flat. Does make me glad I own the original box set. Not being intimately familiar with the original mixes (only listened to them a few times) I couldn't pick out anything added or subtracted, but I'm sure that's annoying to a superfan. I know the artist thinks "I just want the record to sound better!" but changing the actual elements of the song will usually annoy us purists.
jaybag
Personal Jesus

Postby ABOATES » Tue Jun 13, 2023 8:51 am

It kind've brings to mind "The Mix" album that Kraftwerk did for similar reasons.
ABOATES
Take On Me

Postby Kilbey » Fri Mar 08, 2024 5:54 am

Telex is one of my favourite bands so I'd like to say a few words about this release.
I can see some very strange opinions about the sound quality of these reissues here.This is probably one of the most ''analogue'' sounding reissue that I've heard. The sound is very warm and very far from being ''thin''. I have a hi-res version of the release but I also have the Itunes compressed download of This is Telex compilation and it sounds very much the same. The DR of the most songs is from 12 to 14 which is very high for today. The DR of How Do You Dance (the album) is 12 while the original was only 8.

All songs sound a bit different from the Belgium...One Point, but not because they are remixed as we usually understand it. The reason is the new mastering which makes the impression of sounding slightly different. I made a song to song comparison of the tracks (BOP versions vs new ones), not every second of them I must admit though, and it seems that not many songs were actually remixed, at least to the degree it would be immediately noticeable. In fact I've counted only 11 songs I consider to be remixed and 17 edits (they are a few seconds shorter or longer than the originals but sound the same). And this is what I don't really understand - you either remix everything to give us new versions of the albums or just remaster and leave them in the original form. I would be happy to add the fully remixed albums to my collection and listen to both the remixed and the original versions.
The omission of many bonus tracks from BOP is also very strange and sad.
All in all I'm a little disappointed after so many years of waiting for something new from Telex. But it's better than nothing anyway.
Kilbey
Running Up That Hill

Previous

Return to News, Reissues & Compilations