Site Announcements

View the results of the New Wave Outpost 20th Anniversary Top Songs Poll here:
http://www.nwoutpost.com/poll/results

Coming Soon: Top Albums Poll. Stay tuned!

Welcome to the new forum!
If you are a previously registered user, you must do the following:

1) Click on 'I forgot my password' at the login prompt
2) Enter your username and email you registered with and submit
3) You will receive an email with an activation link. Please click it and then log in using the random password provided
4) Go to your User Control Panel and click on the Profile tab
5) Click on 'Edit Account Settings' and enter your new password twice followed by the random password provided earlier. Click Submit.
6) That's it...you're back in! You may have to log in again with your new password.

If you forgot your email address, please email me (MikeP) at: mikepaulsen12@gmail.com

Note: you must now use bb code buttons in the Post form for embedded images, YouTube videos, etc.
For example, to post embedded YouTube videos: paste in the link (e.g., http://www.youtube.com/watch?XYZ1234567), highlight it and then click the YouTube button.

Scritti Politti reissues

Re: Scritti Politti reissues

Postby BigManRestless » Wed Sep 29, 2021 1:21 am

My order status has been moved to January...
Maybe these won't actually happen and they will be replaced by versions with bonuses?
BigManRestless
The Jet Set

Postby postpunkmonk » Wed Sep 29, 2021 5:23 am

Ironically, my neighbor gave me the "Cupid + Psyche" '85" Rough Trade LP for my birthday. The embossed, foil stamped cover is nice to have. Does anyone know if the version of "Perfect Way" is the same as the 4:43 version on the UK CD or is it the same as the alternate 4:28 mix?
https://postpunkmonk.com
For further rumination on the Fresh New Sound of Yesterday®
postpunkmonk
Personal Jesus

Postby ZippY » Wed Sep 29, 2021 7:11 am

postpunkmonk wrote:Ironically, my neighbor gave me the "Cupid + Psyche" '85" Rough Trade LP for my birthday. The embossed, foil stamped cover is nice to have. Does anyone know if the version of "Perfect Way" is the same as the 4:43 version on the UK CD or is it the same as the alternate 4:28 mix?

According to someone at Discogs (mclovin):

"The Alternate Version of 'Perfect Way' is sadly not the one from the original U.K. vinyl, which, in my opinion, is the best one.
Ditto on the black line across the gold lettering."

My CD from Cupid & Psyche 85 (CDV 2350) (0777787497 2 1) has the 4:43 version (which is not the same as on the Rough Trade 2021 LP).
ZippY
Personal Jesus

Postby ed4ad » Sat Oct 02, 2021 6:53 am

Is the alternate 4:28 mix of Perfect Way the version you can find on this Francois Kervorkian compilation: The Remixes Vol. 5 https://www.discogs.com/release/674180- ... xes-Vol-05?
ed4ad
Take On Me

Postby omar » Tue Apr 05, 2022 8:48 am

So I've finally ordered the Cupid And Psyche cd reissue which should be here soon. However there's also a 2022 remaster up on iTunes. Does anyone else have the cd? is it just a straight reissue or actually a new remaster like the iTunes version?
omar
Room at the Top

Postby Fred Taghon » Tue Apr 05, 2022 11:01 pm

omar wrote:So I've finally ordered the Cupid And Psyche cd reissue which should be here soon. However there's also a 2022 remaster up on iTunes. Does anyone else have the cd? is it just a straight reissue or actually a new remaster like the iTunes version?

I don't have answers to your questions but I do have additional questions lol.

There is a Discogs entry for a Japanese 2022 "Cupid & Psyche" CD:
https://www.discogs.com/release/2252729 ... -Psyche-85
which appears to have a Japan exclusive bonus track: (Track 14) "Perfect Way (Version)". There are no times given for the tracks but I'm curious if this is actually the original UK "Perfect Way (Version) (Extended Mix)" (5:01). If so, following my very brief research, this seems to be the first time that mix appears on CD. Of course, the USA 12" B-Side "Perfect Way (Way Perfect Version)" is the same length (5:01) but a completely differently mix. Neither of them has appeared on CD yet, so I suppose if that Japan bonus track truly is either one of those, that would be pretty cool.

There is nothing on that entry to indicate this CD is remastered. In fact the mastering credit says Tony Cousins who is the man who mastered the original album's release.

I just listened to previews on the USA Qobuz site for what is listed as "Cupid & Psyche 85 (2022 Remaster)" and compared to my USA CD it does sound remastered. Also interestingly, 2 tracks differ from the original USA CD: Track 7 "Lover To Fall" (4:12) is the original UK album version and Track 13 "Hypnotize (Version)" (4:21) appears to be the original UK 7" B-Side edit version instead of the 6:35 12" Version. This "2022 Remaster" download has the USA album remix of "Perfect Way" (4:33).

That track listing mirrors the original Japan CD release which also featured the original version of "Lover To Fall", the USA album remix of "Perfect Way" and the 7" B-Side edit of "Hypnotize".

My head is spinning.
Fred Taghon
The Jet Set

Postby omar » Wed Apr 06, 2022 7:35 am

Thanks for the info Fred. I guess i'll let everyone know once i get the cd of how it sounds.
omar
Room at the Top

Postby FiveTenFifteen » Thu Apr 07, 2022 10:34 am

I got a copy of this Japanese CD recently and just posted about it here: http://www.versioncrazy.com/2022/04/07/scritti-politti-cupid-psyche-85-japanese-re-issue-cd-rough-trade-beat-records-rtrad695cdjp-2022/

In short:
    the bonus track on this CD ‘for Japan only’ is the ‘Perfect Way (Version)’ (duration: approx. 5′ 04″) that was featured on the B sides of the UK 7″ and 12″ singles (and first time on CD I think?)

the ‘Version’ of ‘Hypnotised’ is indeed the shorter version from the B side of the original 7″ release (duration: approx. 4′ 22″).

The original UK album/CD album mix of ‘Perfect Way’ is definitely dropped and is replaced with (as far as my ears can tell, as it does not definitely state this in the track title credit) the UK 12″ A side mix (duration approx. 4’33”) in its place. I think this is what was on the US CD? (I don't have a copy of that to compare.)

And the volumes are hot!
FiveTenFifteen
Take On Me

Postby Fred Taghon » Fri Apr 08, 2022 8:48 am

Thanks for the info! "Perfect Way" is one of my favorites (it was my intro to the band in 1985 here in the US) and I amazingly had never heard that version (the Japan bonus track) until 3 days ago lol and I love it!
Fred Taghon
The Jet Set

Postby humanracer » Sat Apr 09, 2022 3:51 am

FiveTenFifteen wrote:I got a copy of this Japanese CD recently and just posted about it here: http://www.versioncrazy.com/2022/04/07/scritti-politti-cupid-psyche-85-japanese-re-issue-cd-rough-trade-beat-records-rtrad695cdjp-2022/

In short:
    the bonus track on this CD ‘for Japan only’ is the ‘Perfect Way (Version)’ (duration: approx. 5′ 04″) that was featured on the B sides of the UK 7″ and 12″ singles (and first time on CD I think?)

the ‘Version’ of ‘Hypnotised’ is indeed the shorter version from the B side of the original 7″ release (duration: approx. 4′ 22″).

The original UK album/CD album mix of ‘Perfect Way’ is definitely dropped and is replaced with (as far as my ears can tell, as it does not definitely state this in the track title credit) the UK 12″ A side mix (duration approx. 4’33”) in its place. I think this is what was on the US CD? (I don't have a copy of that to compare.)

And the volumes are hot!

So brickwalled with underwhelming tracklist. Despite the nice booklet, I will pass.

But thanks as I didn't know the UK and US (and even the Japan) CDs were different. From what I remember Perfect Way was also a different mastering on the US CD so sticks out a bit compared to the rest of the tracks.
Life’s what you make it
humanracer
The Jet Set

Postby Freshy » Sun Apr 10, 2022 7:23 pm

Here is one of the 1985 vs 2022 files.. Putting a link so you can hear the difference and decide if the remaster is for you.
https://mega.nz/file/GskDxA5T#D_6O0f4SWE1Qz_zw7GodTQweaz9sR7Lnfb6qRIpZDIc
https://mega.nz/file/D1MSHDCL#esgG9010u7JGifwghiuOx0xyD9WwUilfLZnGySIK3c0

I chose Lover to Fall because it is 4:12 on remaster but only 3:51 on original
Freshy
Take On Me

Previous

Return to News, Reissues & Compilations