Site Announcements

View the results of the New Wave Outpost 20th Anniversary Top Songs Poll here:
http://www.nwoutpost.com/poll/results

Coming Soon: Top Albums Poll. Stay tuned!

Welcome to the new forum!
If you are a previously registered user, you must do the following:

1) Click on 'I forgot my password' at the login prompt
2) Enter your username and email you registered with and submit
3) You will receive an email with an activation link. Please click it and then log in using the random password provided
4) Go to your User Control Panel and click on the Profile tab
5) Click on 'Edit Account Settings' and enter your new password twice followed by the random password provided earlier. Click Submit.
6) That's it...you're back in! You may have to log in again with your new password.

If you forgot your email address, please email me (MikeP) at: mikepaulsen12@gmail.com

Note: you must now use bb code buttons in the Post form for embedded images, YouTube videos, etc.
For example, to post embedded YouTube videos: paste in the link (e.g., http://www.youtube.com/watch?XYZ1234567), highlight it and then click the YouTube button.

Soft Cell "Happiness Not Included" out 04/08/2021

Soft Cell "Happiness Not Included" out 04/08/2021

Postby Charlayme » Wed Aug 04, 2021 1:13 am

It is with great pleasure that I announce the release of a new Soft Cell album.
Here is the band's propaganda describing the arrival of the thing...

Now Soft Cell – legendary frontman Marc Almond and producer/instrumentalist Dave Ball – are set to return with their fifth studio album ‘*Happiness Not Included’, which will be released in spring 2022 via a new deal with BMG. It represents their first new album since they issued ‘Cruelty Without Beauty’ back in 2002. They will build towards the album’s release by sharing a new single in the autumn and playing some UK shows in November 2021.

One play of ‘*Happiness Not Included’ reveals all of the traits that fans first adored Soft Cell for: that distinctive and striking balance between light and shade, hope and despair, the personal and the universal. Highlights include the yearning, airy pop of ‘Purple Zone’ which contrasts its uplifting sonics with Almond’s darkly doomed lyrics, while ‘Light Sleepers’ drifts with a daydream elegance that neatly matches its subject matter. Elsewhere, ‘Bruises On My Illusions’ is bigger and more abrasive, its baroque-tinged synth energy elevated by theatrical vocal harmonies, while the pure grandeur of ‘New Eden’ closes with the album on a suitably cinematic note.

‘New Eden’ best encapsulates the album’s themes as Almond sings, “All those plans we made in the ‘60s… Seem naïve now we’ve grown older / Leaving we’re leaving looking for the New Eden.” Changing perceptions of the passing of time are a recurring theme throughout. At various points, Almond explores the disappointment of a future that never materialised, reflects on his experiences at The Factory, expresses disillusionment at the modern media landscape, and comes to accept that life isn’t eternal.

“In this album I wanted to look at us as a society: a place where we have chosen to put profits before people, money before morality and decency, food before the rights of animals, fanaticism before fairness and our own trivial comforts before the unspeakable agonies of others. But in the album there is also a belief that there is a utopia if we can peel back the layers and understand what really matters.” – Marc Almond

“Recorded remotely during a world pandemic. Science fiction stories for the 21st century.” – Dave Ball

In short: it’s remarkable that Soft Cell are now four decades deep into their career, and sound as relevant, contemporary and accomplished than ever before. Clearly Almond and Ball’s adventures, both together and apart, have only made them stronger.

The duo first shot to prominence when their singular take on ‘Tainted Love’ raced up charts all over the world, including a two-week run at #1 in the UK and a Top 10 position in the States. It sparked a stellar run of success which saw their first two albums, ‘Non-Stop Erotic Cabaret’ and ‘The Art of Falling Apart’, plus the ‘Non-Stop Ecstatic Dancing’ mini album all crash into the Top 10.

The impetus for making a new album started with the phenomenal “final” show at The O2 in London in 2018. Emerging to a rapturous reception at the sold-out 20,000 capacity arena, Soft Cell’s extensive set covered all of the hits and fan favourites: ‘Tainted Love’, ‘Say Hello, Wave Goodbye’, ‘Torch’, ‘Memorabilia’ and many more. What they had planned to be the end instead became a brand new start.

As the duo started to work on new material, they enlisted the Grammy-winning Phillip Larsen as co-producer. Now in a reversal of all expected plans, Soft Cell have waved goodbye only to say hello once more.
*HAPPINESS NOT INCLUDED – ALBUM TRACKLISTING

1. ‘Happy Happy Happy’
2. ‘Polaroid’
3. ‘Bruises On My Illusions’
4. ‘Purple Zone’
5. ‘Heart Like Chernobyl’
6. ‘Light Sleepers’
7. ‘*Happiness Not Included’
8. ‘Nostalgia Machine’
9. ‘Nighthawks’
10. ‘I’m Not A Friend Of God’
11. ‘Tranquiliser’
12. ‘New Eden’

Due to overwhelming public demand, Soft Cell will be previewing tracks from ‘*Happiness Not Included’ alongside their greatest hits, as well as performing their seminal 1981 debut album ‘Non-Stop Erotic Cabaret’ in full for the first time in a series of live shows this autumn.

https://www.softcell.co.uk/soft-cell-an ... our-dates/

Charlayme :
"Sans musique la vie serait une erreur" (Friedrich Nietzsche)
Charlayme
Take On Me

Re: Soft Cell "Happiness Not Included" out 04/08/2021

Postby Charlayme » Wed Aug 04, 2021 1:25 am

I was so excited :D that I rushed to the release date...
It's a pre-order. I don't have the final release date... sorry :roll:

Charlayme
Charlayme
Take On Me

Postby telekon3 » Wed Aug 04, 2021 10:36 pm

I just hope they don't go EDM like most of the 80s groups do trying to be relevant.
Just make a album for your diehard fans who have supported you all these years.

I just heard the first song release 'Heart Like Chernobyl'.
The lyrics and the music isn't bad,
but vocal phasing sounds off and gated.
Marc Almond has always sung a bit off key and out of time,
but this sounds almost robotic (Not in a cool vocoder way)
This sound is almost quantized;
lacking any emotion or voice inflection.
Is this a homage to Lou Reed ?
Last edited by telekon3 on Wed Aug 18, 2021 2:17 am, edited 3 times in total.
telekon3
Personal Jesus

Postby BigManRestless » Wed Aug 18, 2021 1:25 am

I have to say the first track released is bloody awful. I hope the rest is better.
BigManRestless
The Jet Set

Postby André » Wed Aug 18, 2021 2:54 am

BigManRestless wrote:I have to say the first track released is bloody awful. I hope the rest is better.

I concur, I think it's a terrible track. Not very keen on the artwork either.
When Monoculture came out I had a similar reaction, then I bought Cruelty Without Beauty and thought some tracks were awful, some mediocre and some brilliant. Here's hoping there will be some magical moments on the new album.
André
Switchin' to Glide

Postby BigManRestless » Wed Aug 18, 2021 3:25 am

I think they wasted two of the best tracks from the Cruelty sessions, Divided Soul and Somebody Somewhere Sometime putting them on that Very Best Of. Maybe they've got a very bad perspective of their own material?

Although Heart Like Chernobyl seems to have a very mixed reaction from fans online.
BigManRestless
The Jet Set

Postby synthsandstrings » Thu Aug 26, 2021 2:19 am

Really looking forward to this as a long time fan! :D
synthsandstrings
Running Up That Hill

Return to News, Reissues & Compilations