Site Announcements

View the results of the New Wave Outpost 20th Anniversary Top Songs Poll here:
http://www.nwoutpost.com/poll/results

Coming Soon: Top Albums Poll. Stay tuned!

Welcome to the new forum!
If you are a previously registered user, you must do the following:

1) Click on 'I forgot my password' at the login prompt
2) Enter your username and email you registered with and submit
3) You will receive an email with an activation link. Please click it and then log in using the random password provided
4) Go to your User Control Panel and click on the Profile tab
5) Click on 'Edit Account Settings' and enter your new password twice followed by the random password provided earlier. Click Submit.
6) That's it...you're back in! You may have to log in again with your new password.

If you forgot your email address, please email me (MikeP) at: mikepaulsen12@gmail.com

Note: you must now use bb code buttons in the Post form for embedded images, YouTube videos, etc.
For example, to post embedded YouTube videos: paste in the link (e.g., http://www.youtube.com/watch?XYZ1234567), highlight it and then click the YouTube button.

Heaven 17 - new online compilations

Heaven 17 - new online compilations

Postby Uvox » Wed Sep 14, 2022 6:17 am

https://music.apple.com/lu/album/specia ... 1637425931

https://music.apple.com/lu/album/bonus- ... 1637087606

Two new HEAVEN 17 digital-only compilations. Some interesting versions there.
Uvox
The Jet Set

Re: Heaven 17 - new online compilations

Postby BigManRestless » Thu Sep 15, 2022 12:49 am

And still the 7" mixes of I'm Your Money and We Live So Fast are missing.
BigManRestless
The Jet Set

Postby Fred Taghon » Thu Sep 15, 2022 7:15 am

BigManRestless wrote:And still the 7" mixes of I'm Your Money and We Live So Fast are missing.

The 7" version of "We Live So Fast" was my introduction to Heaven 17 in 1983 here in the USA and I thought it was just about the most amazing thing I ever heard. When I bought "The Luxery Gap" LP I found it's version of the song an interesting twist, but it lacked the full impact of the single version. To this day the 7" mix is the version I listen to and am completely dumbfounded as to why it remains locked away in obscurity, especially given today's download/streaming culture where the overhead costs of releasing music ensure it would be a guaranteed easy money maker, even if it's simply released as a single track!
Fred Taghon
The Jet Set

Postby thunderbird2 » Fri Sep 16, 2022 1:35 am

Fred Taghon wrote:
BigManRestless wrote:And still the 7" mixes of I'm Your Money and We Live So Fast are missing.

The 7" version of "We Live So Fast" was my introduction to Heaven 17 in 1983 here in the USA and I thought it was just about the most amazing thing I ever heard. When I bought "The Luxery Gap" LP I found it's version of the song an interesting twist, but it lacked the full impact of the single version. To this day the 7" mix is the version I listen to and am completely dumbfounded as to why it remains locked away in obscurity, especially given today's download/streaming culture where the overhead costs of releasing music ensure it would be a guaranteed easy money maker, even if it's simply released as a single track!

It really amazes me how this track remains so elusive unless the masters are lost. the fortified dance mix of this from the 12" of Temptation is just brilliant and on all the compilations they seem to put the horrible endless version with the rubbish intro . I was luck to get hold of a second hand copy of the 3" cd ( remember them !) of Temptation and this is the only digital version i know of it.
thunderbird2
Personal Jesus

Postby Fred Taghon » Fri Sep 16, 2022 1:58 am

thunderbird2 wrote:
Fred Taghon wrote:

It really amazes me how this track remains so elusive unless the masters are lost. the fortified dance mix of this from the 12" of Temptation is just brilliant and on all the compilations they seem to put the horrible endless version with the rubbish intro . I was luck to get hold of a second hand copy of the 3" cd ( remember them !) of Temptation and this is the only digital version i know of it.

I have that 3" CD Single as well and yes, as far as I know, that's the only place to get that 12" mix of "We Live So Fast" without it being segued with the other "Endless" tracks. So even if the master for THAT mix has been lost, all Virgin needs to do is buy that 3" "Temptation" CD off eBay for crying out loud.
Fred Taghon
The Jet Set

Postby rewind » Fri Sep 16, 2022 11:20 am

The proper 12" mix of "We Live So Fast" is on the Special Fortified Dance Mixes #3 REPLACEMENT disc that Edsel sent out from The Virgin Years box set.
rewind
Room at the Top

Postby Moribund » Fri Sep 16, 2022 2:50 pm

Is there anything on these new compilations that isn't already in the box set?
Moribund
Take On Me

Postby xymox970 » Fri Sep 16, 2022 5:41 pm

Moribund wrote:Is there anything on these new compilations that isn't already in the box set?

Yes......I am wondering that too.

I checked the contents side by side and it doesnt seem to be any special extras.
xymox970
The Jet Set

Postby blaaah » Sun Sep 18, 2022 10:46 am

Isn’t Let Me Go Dub Version new to digital?
blaaah
Personal Jesus

Postby humanracer » Mon Sep 19, 2022 7:09 am

The dub of Let Me Go is the same as the instrumental.

Basically, all the tracks on the digital releases are the same as those on the Virgin Years box set. The only difference I could find is that the original 12" of Penthouse & Pavement has a longer fade out on the digital download. The tracks are also not as loud on the download, despite having no major differences in dynamic range.
Life’s what you make it
humanracer
The Jet Set

Postby blaaah » Mon Sep 19, 2022 7:54 am

humanracer wrote:The dub of Let Me Go is the same as the instrumental.

Basically, all the tracks on the digital releases are the same as those on the Virgin Years box set. The only difference I could find is that the original 12" of Penthouse & Pavement has a longer fade out on the digital download. The tracks are also not as loud on the download, despite having no major differences in dynamic range.

Thanks! Never knew that.
blaaah
Personal Jesus

Postby negative1 » Mon Sep 19, 2022 9:36 am

humanracer wrote:The dub of Let Me Go is the same as the instrumental.

There is a 7 inch instrumental edit too.

later
negative1
Room at the Top

Postby BigManRestless » Sat Sep 24, 2022 5:03 pm

thunderbird2 wrote:
Fred Taghon wrote:

If you mean I'm Your Money the proper 7" version was on the expanded download only Penthouse & Pavement reissue in 2006. I think it was left off the Edsel box set through ignorance. Those 2006 Digital editions also had extended versions of several How Men Are tracks that have never surfaced anywhere else; Sunset Now, The Fuse, Flamedown and Reputation.

The 7" mix of We Live So Fast has NEVER been on CD / Digital.
BigManRestless
The Jet Set

Postby humanracer » Sun Sep 25, 2022 9:12 am

I’m your money 7” has never been on CD. The 2006 remaster featured an alternate 7” mix and this was also on the Virgin Years box.
The 7” of Money and Fast are only two H17 releases not available digitally.
Life’s what you make it
humanracer
The Jet Set

Return to News, Reissues & Compilations