Site Announcements

View the results of the New Wave Outpost 20th Anniversary Top Songs Poll here:
http://www.nwoutpost.com/poll/results

Coming Soon: Top Albums Poll. Stay tuned!

Welcome to the new forum!
If you are a previously registered user, you must do the following:

1) Click on 'I forgot my password' at the login prompt
2) Enter your username and email you registered with and submit
3) You will receive an email with an activation link. Please click it and then log in using the random password provided
4) Go to your User Control Panel and click on the Profile tab
5) Click on 'Edit Account Settings' and enter your new password twice followed by the random password provided earlier. Click Submit.
6) That's it...you're back in! You may have to log in again with your new password.

If you forgot your email address, please email me (MikeP) at: mikepaulsen12@gmail.com

Note: you must now use bb code buttons in the Post form for embedded images, YouTube videos, etc.
For example, to post embedded YouTube videos: paste in the link (e.g., http://www.youtube.com/watch?XYZ1234567), highlight it and then click the YouTube button.

Early years of No-Man re-released in several formats

Early years of No-Man re-released in several formats

Postby Rissan » Tue Jan 02, 2024 8:55 am

On the 26st of Janury Burning Shed will be releasing the early years of No-Man in several formats:

Housekeeping is a comprehensive remastered collection of No-Man’s output for the OLI (One little Indian) label between 1990-1994.

Featuring the band's first two albums Loveblows & Lovecries (1993) and Flowermouth (1994), along with the singles compilation Lovesighs (1992), the deluxe 5CD Earbook also contains outtakes, alternate versions and the band’s sessions for BBC radio from the period (which reveal a very different, more visceral, side to the band’s output).

Formed by Tim Bowness and Steven Wilson, the band also included violinist Ben Coleman and the albums featured notable appearances by Mick Karn and Steve Jansen (Japan/Rain Tree Crow), Robert Fripp, Ian Carr, Lisa Gerrard (Dead Can Dance), and soon to be Porcupine Tree members Richard Barbieri, Chris Maitland and Colin Edwin.

Containing driving Electronic Pop music, epic Ambient Rock suites and emotive groove-enhanced ballads, Housekeeping is a lovingly compiled tribute to the creative anomaly that is (and was) No-Man.

Designed by Carl Glover, the hardback book includes essays by Matt Hammers (author of No-Man blog, All The Blue Changes), Tim Bowness and Steven Wilson, alongside rare photos and memorabilia.

Comes with an exclusive signed art print.

A companion release to Housekeeping, Swagger chronicles the period after the initial, wildly eclectic Tim Bowness / Steven Wilson studio experiments of 1987 and 1988, and prior to No-Man signing its first record deal in 1991.

It mostly captures the band making a propulsive Electro-Rock music and forging a fresh and more flamboyant identity courtesy of new recruit, virtuoso violinist Ben Coleman.

Featuring Steven Wilson's guitar playing to the fore and Tim Bowness’s ‘before voice’, Swagger contains 45 minutes of music - 6 unreleased songs and 3 early versions of pieces that ended up on later releases - and showcases a hungry band making its alternate universe debut album.

CD edition. A Burning Shed exclusive.

Here is the link to the No-Man page at Burning Shed: https://burningshed.com/index.php?route ... egory=true
Last edited by Rissan on Thu Jan 04, 2024 7:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rissan
The Jet Set

Re: Early years of No-Man re-released in several formats

Postby Uvox » Thu Jan 04, 2024 3:27 am

prog forums seem to be best to discuss this style --
like this one --
https://www.progarchives.com/forum/
Uvox
The Jet Set

Postby Aevion93 » Thu Jan 04, 2024 6:27 am

I guess they're not strictly new wave, but they're not too far removed from the sort of artists discussed here are they? Plus prog sounds more like their later work and even more so like Porcupine Tree.

Either way, definitely excited for this set.
Aevion93
Take On Me

Postby Chuck50 » Thu Jan 04, 2024 6:53 am

Does Uvox think he is some kind of elder-statesman or a moderator now?
No-Man is related to this forum.
Most of the stuff you post is low quality and common.
This might be a direct coloration to your overall knowledge of this genre of music.
Please don't "re-direct" someone on the level of Rissan as far as knowledge and contribution to this forum.
Chuck50
Take On Me

Postby Rissan » Thu Jan 04, 2024 7:02 am

Uvox wrote:prog forums seem to be best to discuss this style --
like this one --
https://www.progarchives.com/forum/

Hi Uvox sorry to say, but their Swagger demo is considered to be Synthpop and dates to 1989.

The Housekeeping Box Set is Art Rock, Pop Rock and Ambient.

With thir earlier incarnations No Man is An Island Except For The Isle Of Man, followed by No Man Is An Island the band made Prog Rock. But at the end of the eighties they went from Synthpop to Art Rock.

I think you are confusing them with Porcupine Tree the other band of Steven Wilson. That band was formed after No-Man to showcase Steven's progressive side.

So to my opinion they totally fit in here.
Last edited by Rissan on Thu Jan 04, 2024 10:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rissan
The Jet Set

Postby Aevion93 » Thu Jan 04, 2024 9:55 pm

I almost forgot, they even returned to a synthpop style with their last album, the brilliant "Love You To Bits".
Aevion93
Take On Me

Postby Uvox » Sat Jan 06, 2024 9:21 am

Rissan wrote:Hi Uvox sorry to say, but their Swagger demo is considered to be Synthpop and dates to 1989.

The Housekeeping Box Set is Art Rock, Pop Rock and Ambient.

With thir earlier incarnations No Man is An Island Except For The Isle Of Man, followed by No Man Is An Island the band made Prog Rock. But at the end of the eighties they went from Synthpop to Art Rock.

I think you are confusing them with Porcupine Tree the other band of Steven Wilson. That band was formed after No-Man to showcase Steven's progressive side.

So to my opinion they totally fit in here.

yes, probably, Mr. Wilson has so many bands behind him. What's more amazing, they are formed in 1986 - I was sure they are from 2000s....

Can you ask your guarding dog not to bark so loudly at low quality and common stuff uploaders??
Last edited by Uvox on Sat Jan 06, 2024 10:01 am, edited 2 times in total.
Uvox
The Jet Set

Postby Uvox » Sat Jan 06, 2024 9:34 am

Aevion93 wrote:they even returned to a synthpop style with their last album, the brilliant "Love You To Bits".

Had a listen after your note.
Well, similar to David Gilmour's SPHERES experiments with Orb.
Uvox
The Jet Set

Postby Fred80s » Sat Jan 06, 2024 4:52 pm

Wonderful track I first heard on the Lost But Not Forgotten series.

Fred80s
Personal Jesus

Postby Chuck50 » Mon Jan 08, 2024 8:40 am

"Can you ask your guarding dog not to bark so loudly at low quality and common stuff uploaders??"

I'm sorry Uvox, it was a little insensitive of me to make that comment about common and low quality uploaders.
I should realize that people are at different levels of the spectrum with knowledge; technical and informational.
Thanks for providing the remedial cohort with your level of pedestrian support and knowledge.

(guarding dog positions still available - inquire within)
Chuck50
Take On Me

Postby Uvox » Tue Jan 09, 2024 4:07 am

Chuck50 wrote:I'm sorry Uvox

No problem, wish you all the luck and many top quality downloads throughout the web this year))
Uvox
The Jet Set

Return to News, Reissues & Compilations