Site Announcements

View the results of the New Wave Outpost 20th Anniversary Top Songs Poll here:
http://www.nwoutpost.com/poll/results

Coming Soon: Top Albums Poll. Stay tuned!

Welcome to the new forum!
If you are a previously registered user, you must do the following:

1) Click on 'I forgot my password' at the login prompt
2) Enter your username and email you registered with and submit
3) You will receive an email with an activation link. Please click it and then log in using the random password provided
4) Go to your User Control Panel and click on the Profile tab
5) Click on 'Edit Account Settings' and enter your new password twice followed by the random password provided earlier. Click Submit.
6) That's it...you're back in! You may have to log in again with your new password.

If you forgot your email address, please email me (MikeP) at: mikepaulsen12@gmail.com

Note: you must now use bb code buttons in the Post form for embedded images, YouTube videos, etc.
For example, to post embedded YouTube videos: paste in the link (e.g., http://www.youtube.com/watch?XYZ1234567), highlight it and then click the YouTube button.

your last lp purchase at a 'normal' record store

Discussions about vinyl records: rarities, obscurities and collectibles, promos, mixes, etc. DJ-related discussions are welcome as well as techniques for recording & restoring vinyl records to CD/MP3.

your last lp purchase at a 'normal' record store

Postby bpdp3 » Sat Nov 27, 2010 4:11 am

Was trying to recall when and where I picked up my last piece of vinyl at a 'standard' record store back in the day.

Of course since I've bought a ton used and I know new releases come out all the time on vinyl, but I mean a record store just before CD's took over and the records were relegated to '2nd string' status.

For me, I think it was the brand new Jane's Addiction Nothing's Shocking album - -I'd read a review and it sounded like the hot new thing. I remember being in the store and noticing that their vinyl supply was dwindling, as if they weren't restocking. Soon after that, there were CD's in the vinyl racks.

Sound about right time-wise, as well.

Do you remember when it first hit you, standing in a record store, that records were going to no longer be the music-listening staple they were?
bpdp3
The Jet Set

Re: your last lp purchase at a 'normal' record store

Postby wavecover » Sat Feb 22, 2020 9:15 pm

dplp3

if you said jane's addiction is probably a long distance call ?

a dude standing there like saying that last time i heard that was in 2002, well he was into that
the more formal store went in never, was in that time too if you did formaly explain
let me see why the PLACE in some part of a, part of a, ''scene died'' then ? .. it' wasnt a cd you said no man, i think i .
wavecover
Running Up That Hill

Postby obs » Thu Mar 05, 2020 1:54 am

Hmm, depends what you mean by "normal".

In Canada, by 1990, almost all the standard/chain stores stopped selling vinyl. I remember buying a bunch of hole-punched Nettwerk 12"es from A&B Sound, which were hidden away upstairs. Being into techno, I was buying European records at the import stores well into the mid-90s, including stuff like Depeche Mode, New Order, Claudia Brueken's album, etc. I didn't buy a CD player until Dec 1993, and even then, I think the only CDs I bought were old 80s stuff, for cheap, or used CDs (got Depeche's Construction Time, original Intercord pressing for about $3).

One of the last records I remember buying new was Depeche's World in My Eyes L12, around 1997, at Virgin Megastore downtown Vancouver. For some reason, I think Mute found a bunch of extra copies lying around. No blue, plastic jacket, though, but still happy to find a copy.

Trivia: I'm still using the same 1993 CD player today. It was a bottom end Pioneer, dual trays, about $180CAD. This thing has logged a shitload of hours :mrgreen: .
obs
Room at the Top

Postby bpdp3 » Sat May 16, 2020 4:59 pm

Good god was it really ten years ago I started this thread? Glad it was dug up.
If I’d been better at phrasing the topic. I would’ve indicated ‘your last purchase at a record store that sold new vinyl, before CD’s took over’.

Obs, I still have my pioneer single disc that my parents bought me in 86 for my 20th birthday. The first CD I purchased was kraftwerk’s then-new ‘electric cafe’.

I was and still am a vinyl freak, so CD’s never ‘took’ with me. Nothing to do with sound quality, it’s strictly aesthetic. I just like the look of vinyl, the sleeve, the cover. So having that sinking feeling that vinyl was going away was not a happy time for me. Soon I discovered used record stores, where I still linger to this day. It’s pretty rare I’ll buy new vinyl nowadays (price is definitely a factor, though I’ll pay dearly for a late 70s oddity I’m afraid I’ll never see again). I think the last new vinyl I bought was the debut by Savages. And Karl Bartos ‘off the record’.
bpdp3
The Jet Set

Postby q89747 » Sun May 17, 2020 7:35 am

There's no doubt that buying new vinyl is rare even if the used record market remains strong. My latest new vinyl? 'See My Girls' 12" ep by Tindersticks. I haven't had a chance to get it out of the shrink to give it a spin.
q89747
Personal Jesus

Postby chris74 » Sun May 17, 2020 2:51 pm

When stores in the 90s sill sold vinyl the last one I bought was "Queer" by the Thompson Twins - almost 20 years ago. Even then I wasn't too much into vinyl anymore but I sometimes bought the record rather than the CD because of the lower price.
And in recent times the last LPs I bought were the new albums by the Pet Shop Boys, Coldplay and the "Reconnected" live album by Yazoo. Usually I buy new records online these days as record shops almost don't exist where I live and it is really hard to get a new record in one of the very few shops around.
Last edited by chris74 on Sun Aug 07, 2022 11:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
chris74
Take On Me

Postby obs » Thu May 21, 2020 4:47 pm

Two things led to me switch to CDs:
- Price. Pretty much everyone abandoned vinyl, so by the 90s (in Canada), if I wanted something on vinyl, it was going to be at import prices. It was fine in the first half of the 90s, since most of the stuff I was into wouldn't get released in Canada, and for the stuff that did, I preferred the UK pressing, as it was stuff I collected (ie. Depeche Mode).
- Convenience. After I bought a computer, it was too much hassle to have to get up and flip the record over all the time.

While it definitely was more fun to listen to vinyl, I no longer just sit in bed and listen to music while reading the sleeves, so I don't miss that aspect. One thing that record companies could have done was released CDs in 7" single jackets. I had never been a big 7" fan, but over the last 15 years, a friend would sometimes give me UK 7"es, and I have to admit that it's cool to look at the covers.
obs
Room at the Top

Postby bigarbel » Sun Oct 18, 2020 2:04 pm

I rarely buy LP's as I am an avid 12" collector. I remember very well the last 12 '' I bought in a record shop as it was on the very last day of the Abbey Disc record shop in Dublin and they were liquidating old stock. It was somewhere in 2008 if I recall well.

I was lucky to find a promo 12 Inch: Some Girls by Belouis Some.
bigarbel
Take On Me

Postby horeakaii2 » Thu Aug 04, 2022 4:21 am

I would love to have the classic vinyl record from The Beatles. I swear it never goes out of trend!
social security card Florida
horeakaii2
Running Up That Hill

Postby geoffolehane » Sat Aug 06, 2022 2:02 pm

I do not buy as much vinyl these day as I did. But recently I picked up The Beatles "Introducing the Beatles" on Vee Jay. I know there are forgeries galore but I truly think this is one is the 1962 Version 2 release. I also picked up a mono version of Beatles 65 from the same place.
geoffolehane
The Jet Set

Postby horeakaii2 » Mon Aug 08, 2022 7:43 pm

These records are super cute! I love each of it. I think this is one of the best.
villas for rent in Cabo San Lucas
horeakaii2
Running Up That Hill

Postby KellyP » Mon Jan 16, 2023 11:51 am

Last edited by KellyP on Tue Mar 21, 2023 10:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
KellyP
Running Up That Hill

Postby BlytheWoody » Fri Mar 10, 2023 2:01 am

The transition was a gradual process, and it varied from store to store and region to region. Some record stores continued to carry vinyl records alongside CDs, while others abandoned vinyl altogether. Cincinnati SEO Agency
BlytheWoody
Running Up That Hill

Return to Vinylmania!