Site Announcements

View the results of the New Wave Outpost 20th Anniversary Top Songs Poll here:
http://www.nwoutpost.com/poll/results

Coming Soon: Top Albums Poll. Stay tuned!

Welcome to the new forum!
If you are a previously registered user, you must do the following:

1) Click on 'I forgot my password' at the login prompt
2) Enter your username and email you registered with and submit
3) You will receive an email with an activation link. Please click it and then log in using the random password provided
4) Go to your User Control Panel and click on the Profile tab
5) Click on 'Edit Account Settings' and enter your new password twice followed by the random password provided earlier. Click Submit.
6) That's it...you're back in! You may have to log in again with your new password.

If you forgot your email address, please email me (MikeP) at: mikepaulsen12@gmail.com

Note: you must now use bb code buttons in the Post form for embedded images, YouTube videos, etc.
For example, to post embedded YouTube videos: paste in the link (e.g., http://www.youtube.com/watch?XYZ1234567), highlight it and then click the YouTube button.

"What do you consider to be the first new wave song?"

New Wave/Punk music, culture, genres, memories. '80s revivalism and other relevant topics.

Postby Chuck50 » Mon Oct 19, 2020 4:31 am

Last edited by Chuck50 on Thu Oct 29, 2020 7:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chuck50
Take On Me

Re: What is the first New Wave song?

Postby wasproxy » Mon Oct 19, 2020 4:43 pm

Like many such questions, don’t think there is a line in the sand or “one” that can be pointed to ... was more of an evolution. Regardless, you need to go back to 1970 and before - Velvet Underground (1960s), Tangerine Dream (1967), David Bowie (1967), T.Rex (1967), Kraftwerk (1970) etc.

IMO the sound was emerging well before punk happened and then after punk hit full maturity in the form we now know and love.

Endless discussion with no “right” answer!
wasproxy
Take On Me

Postby Ollie Stench » Thu Oct 22, 2020 4:30 pm

I don't know about specific songs, but Roxy Music and David Bowie would probably count as pioneers of the genre.
Ollie Stench
Room at the Top

Postby bpdp3 » Tue Oct 27, 2020 3:06 pm

Agree that nailing down an initial song is downright daunting. And can’t argue that the bands mentioned were influential; but I don’t consider any of them “New wave”. To me, as a term and movement you’d see commonly in music mags, etc I’d say that it started in 79.

But then the march ‘77 issue of Trouser Press has an article on English new wave, and cites pistols, clash, vibrators, Eddie and the hot rods, damned, etc. I don’t think of them as ‘new wave’, but I guess that term must’ve been concurrent with ‘punk’?? So who knows....

I think most will agree that new wave has a fairly tight temporal component. Tighter than rap or heavy metal. I usually think of new wave as 79-81 or 82. The bands that broke on mtv like haircut 100 and flock of seagulls? I don’t recall them being called “new wave” when they arrived. Already new wave was a passe’ term. But I won’t argue the fact with you if you insist that new wave stretched into the mid 80s.

Someone on this site once said the LAST hit song for new wave was ‘the promise’ by when in Rome. Maybe?!? But first song? I can’t pinpoint it. Rock Lobster? My Sharona? M’s ‘pop music’? There’s no clear ground zero.... of this I’m certain.
bpdp3
The Jet Set

Postby Frank_Chickens » Wed Oct 28, 2020 3:49 pm

bpdp3 wrote:Agree that nailing down an initial song is downright daunting. And can’t argue that the bands mentioned were influential; but I don’t consider any of them “New wave”. To me, as a term and movement you’d see commonly in music mags, etc I’d say that it started in 79.

But then the march ‘77 issue of Trouser Press has an article on English new wave, and cites pistols, clash, vibrators, Eddie and the hot rods, damned, etc. I don’t think of them as ‘new wave’, but I guess that term must’ve been concurrent with ‘punk’?? So who knows....

I think most will agree that new wave has a fairly tight temporal component. Tighter than rap or heavy metal. I usually think of new wave as 79-81 or 82. The bands that broke on mtv like haircut 100 and flock of seagulls? I don’t recall them being called “new wave” when they arrived. Already new wave was a passe’ term. But I won’t argue the fact with you if you insist that new wave stretched into the mid 80s.

Someone on this site once said the LAST hit song for new wave was ‘the promise’ by when in Rome. Maybe?!? But first song? I can’t pinpoint it. Rock Lobster? My Sharona? M’s ‘pop music’? There’s no clear ground zero.... of this I’m certain.

For me, the last hit new wave song was 'I Beg Your Pardon' by Kon Kan, but the first? To try and name that would be chasing shadows, there's no definitive start point.
--

"A cynic is what a optimist calls a realist"
Frank_Chickens
Room at the Top

Postby bigarbel » Thu Oct 29, 2020 6:12 pm

A better question would be: "What do you consider to be the first new wave song?"

I believe it is a personal opinion as it is really with all music genres.

For me it is very clear: New Wave started with Cars by Gary Numan.
When I first heard it is was so different than anything else I heard up to then and all music I liked after that became more electronic
bigarbel
Take On Me

Re: "What do you consider to be the first new wave song?"

Postby Chuck50 » Thu Oct 29, 2020 7:13 pm

"A better question would be: "What do you consider to be the first new wave song?"

"I believe it is a personal opinion as it is really with all music genres."

Thank you. This is what I was after. I wanted people's personal opinion of what they thought, not the "academic" answer.
I guess I worded it wrongly.

My vote goes to Talking Heads - Psycho Killer - 1977
Chuck50
Take On Me

Postby schwenko » Fri Oct 30, 2020 3:03 am

just randomly came across this from Wikipedia and thought I would post it:

""Hiroshima Mon Amour", featured the saxophone playing of C.C. from the band Gloria Mundi, and includes the Roland TR-77 drum machine working a modified bossa-nova preset by drummer Warren Cann, and foreshadowed the music both John Foxx and Ultravox were to make later, apart. In 2012, in an interview with peek-a-boo magazine, John Foxx agreed to say that it was the first synthpop/new-wave song in rock history: "I think no one else had done a song like that before", he said."

released 1977
Sugoi !!!
schwenko
Room at the Top

Postby bpdp3 » Sat Oct 31, 2020 6:57 pm

It’s Halloween night and I’m watching ‘rocky horror picture show’. 1975. While I wouldn’t call ‘the time warp’ a new wave song, the people performing the dance in the movie sure look like early new wave to me. And it’s 1975!

And Tim curry singing ‘sweet transvestite’?? That’s just setting the table on so many levels...!
bpdp3
The Jet Set

Postby NuWavo80s » Mon Nov 02, 2020 10:02 pm

I would agree with schwenko about Ultravox
but I would have to say 'My Sex' is the first New Wave song.
It was recorded in 1976 and released in early 1977 before Hiroshima Mon Amour

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JUWdqBt ... nnel=stotn

I always considered Ultravox to be the first real New Wave band.
My Sex is on the first release, "Ultravox!"
Which is a mixed bag of Glam Rock, Reggae, and Punk.
NuWavo80s
Take On Me

Postby Passing_Stranger » Mon Nov 09, 2020 10:00 am

Wow, so I'm not the only one who sees Ultravox as the first new wave band? Interesting! :D
Passing_Stranger
Room at the Top

Postby postpunkmonk » Wed Jun 02, 2021 9:07 am

I love Ultravox!and consider them pioneers, but I can't shake the feeling that Doctors Of Madness were there slightly ahead of them. I only have the 2nd DOM LP from 1976 but it's on the razors edge of a no-man's land between Glam Rock/Post-Punk/New Wave.
https://postpunkmonk.com
For further rumination on the Fresh New Sound of Yesterday®
postpunkmonk
Personal Jesus

Postby oldwaver2 » Thu Jun 03, 2021 6:05 am

That's the trouble with labeling a band.
Genres change over time.
I remember when Depeche Mode was called Euro-disco.
then Techno-pop, then Synth-Pop, then Alternative.

Doctors Of Madness were labeled as Punk-Prog and then Art Rock.
Many late 70s Power-pop, Glam, Pub-Rock and Art Rock bands were all a precursor to the New Wave era.
Late 70's Japan & Ultravox were labeled "Art-Rock"

New Wave of Rock N' Roll was a term that was used in the late 70s & throughout the 80s,
after Punk Rock, to encompass everything that didn't fit into "Corporate Rock"
oldwaver2
Take On Me

Postby bpdp3 » Sat Jun 05, 2021 3:50 pm

HOW could this be? I’ve been following this music pretty seriously since 1979. Yet I have NEVER come across a mention of Doctors of Madness before. I thought you made it up. But a look online reveals they did indeed exist!

How was I oblivious to this artist?? Thank you for mentioning!

These discussions always go in circles but they’re also always worth having. I think in reality I enjoy trying to designate the “end” of new wave more than its genesis. (For years I tried to convince myself that the Information Society debut on Tommy Boy records was new wave reincarnated. Foolish, I know!)
bpdp3
The Jet Set

Postby telekon3 » Sun Jun 06, 2021 5:22 pm

bpdp3 check your PM.
telekon3
Personal Jesus

Next

Return to General New Wave & '80s Discussions