Site Announcements

View the results of the New Wave Outpost 20th Anniversary Top Songs Poll here:
http://www.nwoutpost.com/poll/results

Coming Soon: Top Albums Poll. Stay tuned!

Welcome to the new forum!
If you are a previously registered user, you must do the following:

1) Click on 'I forgot my password' at the login prompt
2) Enter your username and email you registered with and submit
3) You will receive an email with an activation link. Please click it and then log in using the random password provided
4) Go to your User Control Panel and click on the Profile tab
5) Click on 'Edit Account Settings' and enter your new password twice followed by the random password provided earlier. Click Submit.
6) That's it...you're back in! You may have to log in again with your new password.

If you forgot your email address, please email me (MikeP) at: mikepaulsen12@gmail.com

Note: you must now use bb code buttons in the Post form for embedded images, YouTube videos, etc.
For example, to post embedded YouTube videos: paste in the link (e.g., http://www.youtube.com/watch?XYZ1234567), highlight it and then click the YouTube button.

Why are there no new wave artists like Ultravox and Numan?

New Wave/Punk music, culture, genres, memories. '80s revivalism and other relevant topics.

Why are there no new wave artists like Ultravox and Numan?

Postby WeLiveSoFastx83 » Thu Dec 10, 2020 11:33 pm

I feel like Vienna is the waviest album ever made. Of course Numan/Tubeway Army are similar, like John Foxx, and Heaven 17, The Human League, Silicon Teens, Cee Farrow, Dalek I, OMD, Devo and Depeche Mode... but artists like Duran Duran, Kissing the Pink, Spoons, Payola$, Talking Heads, Altered Images that would also be considered new wave never captured the same wavey synth sound as the aforementioned artists. What I'm saying is I'm struggling to find enough music that encompass the Ultravox/Tubeway Army style of new wave, and would appreciate some recommendations, and am also curious as to what artists comprise your own new wave playlist.
WeLiveSoFastx83
Switchin' to Glide

Re: Why are there no new wave artists like Ultravox and Numa

Postby tikibars » Fri Dec 25, 2020 1:06 pm

The reason why the acts you list beginning with Duran Duran, etc. never captured the Ultravox/Numan sound you're looking for is because they weren't trying to. They were all doing their own thing. Additionally, you seem to be lumping anyone who used a synthesizer into the "new wave" camp, but the various bands you list could objectively be categorized as either synth-pop, post-punk, new wave, or new pop. Lumping artists into categories can involve splitting hairs a bit, but there are differences and not every act from the late 1970s or 1980s can or should be called new wave.

You seem to already be familiar with a lot of Ultravox's and Numan's contemporaries, but aside from the acts you already listed, if you're looking for Vienna-era Ultravox and Tubeway-era Numan (I take it "Replicas" is what you have in mind), I'd look into early Visage (self-titled first record), early Classix Nouveau (self-titled first record, also called Night People in some markets), maybe some Magazine (songs like Permafrost might work for you), and - take the leap - Panorama by The Cars, their temporary detour into icy synth pop between big hit albums. Also try some early-ish Simple Minds, such as Sons and Fascination, or Empires and Dance.

These should come close to your sweet spot.
tikibars
Take On Me

Postby WeLiveSoFastx83 » Fri Dec 25, 2020 3:07 pm

tikibars wrote:The reason why the acts you list beginning with Duran Duran, etc. never captured the Ultravox/Numan sound you're looking for is because they weren't trying to. They were all doing their own thing. Additionally, you seem to be lumping anyone who used a synthesizer into the "new wave" camp, but the various bands you list could objectively be categorized as either synth-pop, post-punk, new wave, or new pop. Lumping artists into categories can involve splitting hairs a bit, but there are differences and not every act from the late 1970s or 1980s can or should be called new wave.

You seem to already be familiar with a lot of Ultravox's and Numan's contemporaries, but aside from the acts you already listed, if you're looking for Vienna-era Ultravox and Tubeway-era Numan (I take it "Replicas" is what you have in mind), I'd look into early Visage (self-titled first record), early Classix Nouveau (self-titled first record, also called Night People in some markets), maybe some Magazine (songs like Permafrost might work for you), and - take the leap - Panorama by The Cars, their temporary detour into icy synth pop between big hit albums. Also try some early-ish Simple Minds, such as Sons and Fascination, or Empires and Dance.

These should come close to your sweet spot.

The synth sound dominated the 80s, but I'm talking about the specific "wave" sound that Vienna-era Ultravox and Numan (Replicas–I, Assassin) embodied. I don't think I'm inappropriately lumping any bands under the new wave label. I will check out your recommendations, I'm already pretty familiar with Visage and Simple Minds; Magazine I would consider more punk or post-punk.
WeLiveSoFastx83
Switchin' to Glide

Postby Passing_Stranger » Tue Dec 29, 2020 5:11 pm

Do you mean modern bands/acts or those who performed concurrently to Ultravox? If the former, than yes, Ultravox angle hasn't really been worked - probably too complex for most acts who see Depeche sound as a thing to aspire to. Though there are some acts like Eurasianeyes who do try to be like modern Ultravox (which is terrific). If the latter, then yes, tikibars is right - "New Wave" performers prided themselves on an individualistic sound, sometimes went out of their ways to be different. So no-one wanted to copy anybody else. Though Ultravox was one of the encompassing influences that almost everyone checked out - "Systems of romance" and "Vienna" are the albums for synth/techno-rock, probably its peak musically and aesthetically.

For that sound (or its approximation) you may check the first albums for acts like A Flock of Seagulls, Talk Talk, Alphaville, A-ha. Even prog bands like Rush started to work that angle sometimes around 1982-83! Absolutely check the Skids "Days in Europa" - they even had Rusty Egan from Visage doing the drumming. Also Strasse from Sweden ("Folja John" LP, partly produced by Midge, which has the sound you look for), maybe even some early Lustans Lakejer. Neon from Italy. Bands like Glamour from Spain. Whole host of Australian bands like Real Life, Pseudo Echo, Dear Enemy, Venetians etc (first albums or singles mainly, "Autumnal park" by Pseuds is the one that most closely follows the Vox sound). Oh, anв ща course the first LP by Icehouse. An absolute must is a great but little-known US band System 56. Also Berlin were self-confessed Ultravox/Numan fans.

Last but not least, I fully agree with you on the greatness of "Vienna". It's one of the musical peaks of the whole rock movement, on par with the best of them, and I find it heartwarming and only just to see it finally getting the loooooooooooooooong overdue praise!
Passing_Stranger
Room at the Top

Postby LaidInRuins » Fri Jan 22, 2021 10:24 am

Have you ever listened to Zaine Griff? Similar intonation as Ur, which always makes me think of Ultravox

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kanTDP831tQ
LaidInRuins
Take On Me

Postby Passing_Stranger » Sun Jan 24, 2021 8:38 am

Griff was more of a Bowie copyist - to the point when even Bowie himself couldn't tell their voices apart. But Zaine's been very close to the Ultravox camp so no wonder he soaked up some influences from them too.
Passing_Stranger
Room at the Top

Postby LaidInRuins » Mon Jan 25, 2021 8:25 am

I didn't know this before, but Griff actually covered Ultravox's Passionate Reply (was included on the expanded re-release of the 'Figures' album). Quite a talented guy, it's a decent cover.
LaidInRuins
Take On Me

Return to General New Wave & '80s Discussions