Site Announcements

View the results of the New Wave Outpost 20th Anniversary Top Songs Poll here:
http://www.nwoutpost.com/poll/results

Coming Soon: Top Albums Poll. Stay tuned!

Welcome to the new forum!
If you are a previously registered user, you must do the following:

1) Click on 'I forgot my password' at the login prompt
2) Enter your username and email you registered with and submit
3) You will receive an email with an activation link. Please click it and then log in using the random password provided
4) Go to your User Control Panel and click on the Profile tab
5) Click on 'Edit Account Settings' and enter your new password twice followed by the random password provided earlier. Click Submit.
6) That's it...you're back in! You may have to log in again with your new password.

If you forgot your email address, please email me (MikeP) at: mikepaulsen12@gmail.com

Note: you must now use bb code buttons in the Post form for embedded images, YouTube videos, etc.
For example, to post embedded YouTube videos: paste in the link (e.g., http://www.youtube.com/watch?XYZ1234567), highlight it and then click the YouTube button.

Heaven 17 live show review

New Wave/Punk music, culture, genres, memories. '80s revivalism and other relevant topics.

Heaven 17 live show review

Postby oldnewwaver » Mon Oct 03, 2022 5:43 pm

Well, this one I have been waiting for a long time and was not dissappointed!

What a class act and one of the best shows I have been to in a very long time.

The venue was small (about 300 plus in attendance) and it felt like a party !

Glenn and Martyn's banter in-between songs about the band, song history, etc was great and they were truly into the audience and very appreciative !

I would definitely see them again and it was nice to see a band that is truly original and has not toured here in over 40 years made the evening so special!

Here is the set list:

The Observatory, Santa Ana (CA)

(We Don't Need This) Fascist Groove Thang
Crushed by the Wheels of Industry
Play to Win
Geisha Boys and Temple Girls
Come Live With Me
This Is Mine
We Live So Fast
You've Lost That Lovin' Feelin' (duet Glenn-Martyn of a HL cover version)
Sunset Now
And That's No Lie
Let's All Make a Bomb
I'm Your Money
Let Me Go
Penthouse and Pavement
Temptation

Encore:
Let's Dance
(David Bowie cover)
Being Boiled
(The Human League cover)
oldnewwaver
Personal Jesus

Re: Heaven 17 live show review

Postby Jim2 » Mon Oct 17, 2022 2:13 pm

I saw them at The Keswic Theater in Philadelphia on Friday September 24th.

I would have never thought to have been able to see them live, let alone enjoy such an incredible show.
Glen Gregory and Martin Ware entertained a not even half full venue, and you are correct oldnewwaver, it was a party like atmosphere.
The setlist was the same and the two girls that sang with them were just as amazing.
The only disappointment, no merch table.
This show rivaled the Soft Cell show in San Francisco I saw a month earlier (also no merch table).
"Things went fine, up until the start of school, the world was still okay." -Nina Hagen
Jim2
Take On Me

Re: Heaven 17 live show review

Postby Moribund » Tue Nov 08, 2022 7:11 pm

I was at the Santa Ana show too, great fun. I've seen photos and clips of them performing in recent years with a full band and was initially a bit disappointed that it was just Martyn and another keyboardist, and a bunch of stuff (percussion, etc.) phoned in. But I was quickly won over. They were personable and funny ("We apologize for the delay... of 40 fucking years!"), it was a good show.

Minor addenda to oldnewwaver's set list-- The show began with a bit of one of the songs from BEF's Music For Stowaways, but I'm not familiar enough with that album to tell you which one, before launching into Fascist Groove Thang. Then, I think during Temptation, it morphed into a Donna Summer cover for a minute or two.
Moribund
Take On Me

Return to General New Wave & '80s Discussions