Site Announcements

View the results of the New Wave Outpost 20th Anniversary Top Songs Poll here:
http://www.nwoutpost.com/poll/results

Coming Soon: Top Albums Poll. Stay tuned!

Welcome to the new forum!
If you are a previously registered user, you must do the following:

1) Click on 'I forgot my password' at the login prompt
2) Enter your username and email you registered with and submit
3) You will receive an email with an activation link. Please click it and then log in using the random password provided
4) Go to your User Control Panel and click on the Profile tab
5) Click on 'Edit Account Settings' and enter your new password twice followed by the random password provided earlier. Click Submit.
6) That's it...you're back in! You may have to log in again with your new password.

If you forgot your email address, please email me (MikeP) at: mikepaulsen12@gmail.com

Note: you must now use bb code buttons in the Post form for embedded images, YouTube videos, etc.
For example, to post embedded YouTube videos: paste in the link (e.g., http://www.youtube.com/watch?XYZ1234567), highlight it and then click the YouTube button.

Peter Hook and The Light Brighton Concorde 2

Post past and present concert & album reviews and interviews.

Peter Hook and The Light Brighton Concorde 2

Postby Bullion » Sat Apr 09, 2022 2:24 pm

Was lucky to see Peter Hook -Hooky- opening his current tour on Thursday 7th April 2022. Starting with a New Order set , and then performing Joy Division's 'Unknown Pleasures' and 'Closer'.
Following Hooky's split with the other surviving members of Joy Division and the remaining members of New Order, he has been touring with his band 'The Light' performing material from both bands' back catalogues. There has been a complicated legal dispute which I am not going to try to go through here.
It is fair to say that not all fans of Joy Division and Old School New Order fans have welcomed or agreed with Hooky's approach. I first took to the music of Joy Division after hearing 'She's Lost Control ' and 'Transmission' on a TY programme 'Something Else' in September 1979 . Never got to see them live , and the band did not last much longer as tragically singer Ian Curtis took his own life on 18th May 1980. Throughout the 1980's I listened to Joy Division and followed the remaining members as they established New Order, with new member Gillian Gilbert on keyboards and guitar. until 'Republic' album in 1993. Have not particularly followed subsequent releases. Have to admit that I am one of the earlier fans who are more on Hooky's side, Admiring him as a musician, performer , and as part of my generation.
Without identifying too many spoilers. the New Order set opened with the ambient , even Prog instrumental 'Elegia' from 1985's 'Lowlife' , then 'Procession' , a single from 1981, and some other earlier album tracks, including three from the first album 'Movement'. Interesting choice indeed and probably more suited to an audience who want to hear Hooky and the band play Joy Division later,
'unknown Pleasures' and 'Closer' sets were awesome. Really spectacular. They were delivered close to the original sound but with some re-interpretation. Not note by note performances of the first time round but not reinvented either. The last four tracks of 'Closer' , what would be side 2 on a record, 'Heart and Sou' /24 Hours' /'The Eternal'/ 'Decades' are in my opinion some of the most bleakest but quite beautiful songs I have ever heard, were particularly moving. Probably difficult to end the night on. Hooky and the band got called back and gave four encores 'Atmosphere' , Ceremony', Transmission' and finally 'Love Will Tear Apart Again'. The latter ended up as a rock anthem singalong, but a great end to the evening. Really recommend catching this tour.
Bullion
Switchin' to Glide

Re: Peter Hook and The Light Brighton Concorde 2

Postby Bullion » Mon Apr 18, 2022 10:50 am

From following Peter Hook on Facebook, seems that the New Order set that opens the concert on the current tour vary to some extent . Hooky posts the set list the following day .....sometimes include hits such as 'Temptation' and 'Blue Monday'. But noticeable that the New Order tracks selected all seem to have been released before the 1986 album 'Brotherhood'
Bullion
Switchin' to Glide

Re: Peter Hook and The Light Brighton Concorde 2

Postby Angel17 » Fri Dec 22, 2023 2:07 am

Such an awesome post. Thanks for sharing! plumbers in worcester
Angel17
Switchin' to Glide

Return to Concert & Album Reviews / Interviews