Site Announcements

View the results of the New Wave Outpost 20th Anniversary Top Songs Poll here:
http://www.nwoutpost.com/poll/results

Coming Soon: Top Albums Poll. Stay tuned!

Welcome to the new forum!
If you are a previously registered user, you must do the following:

1) Click on 'I forgot my password' at the login prompt
2) Enter your username and email you registered with and submit
3) You will receive an email with an activation link. Please click it and then log in using the random password provided
4) Go to your User Control Panel and click on the Profile tab
5) Click on 'Edit Account Settings' and enter your new password twice followed by the random password provided earlier. Click Submit.
6) That's it...you're back in! You may have to log in again with your new password.

If you forgot your email address, please email me (MikeP) at: mikepaulsen12@gmail.com

Note: you must now use bb code buttons in the Post form for embedded images, YouTube videos, etc.
For example, to post embedded YouTube videos: paste in the link (e.g., http://www.youtube.com/watch?XYZ1234567), highlight it and then click the YouTube button.

SHARE: 7" collections - Thompson Twins

Discuss hard-to-find or out-of-print New Wave and '80s Alternative, and share a few songs along the way.
NOTE: requesting songs that are entirely unrelated to the genres discussed here or easily found on CD is strongly discouraged and posts will be enforced as needed.

Re: SHARE: 7" collections - Human League

Postby Passing_Stranger » Mon Aug 01, 2022 5:16 am

So it's Monday, release time again :D This time a much more well-known act from the same era. Human League were compiled very often so I'm not doing anything particularly new or groundbreaking here. Thankfully most of their stuff is generously represented on CDs in varying quality, I only had to dive deep into my collection to find suitable tracks. There are several vinyl rips ("Being boiled", "Sound of the crowd" and "Louise" B-sides and "Empire state human" and "Rock'n'roll" singles) but it all fits nicely and sounds good, without big jumps in sound level or much in a way of pop and crackle. If anyone still needs this stuff - here's your chance :)

One of my favourite bands, by the way, and I'm well-chuffed they often did original B-sides, especially instrumentals. Not maybe among the most prolific "New Wave" bands, but they evidently took care of the single as a form of presentation.

Link: https://mega.nz/folder/u18WRBCA#sxPGD0BJqjeK0CAHHFkJ4A

Enjoy!
Passing_Stranger
Room at the Top

Postby omar » Mon Aug 01, 2022 10:11 am

The Sign (7" Remix) is truly a rarity. Its never been on cd, The 2005 remaster of Hysteria had the ext. mix instead. Thanks once again.
omar
Room at the Top

Postby WLR » Wed Aug 03, 2022 2:02 am

Really impressive work, nice to have the proper 7 inch single releases, it has always baffled me that when bands do singles collections/best ofs they use album versions of some tracks.

A big thank you from me.
WLR
The Jet Set

Postby Passing_Stranger » Fri Aug 05, 2022 9:10 am

Thank you for the comments, guys! Omar, I downloaded remix of "The sign" completely unwittingly, it was such a nice surprise :D Some singles usually slip through the net and if they are not on CD early on there's little chance of getting them except on vinyl, especially concerning the 7" versions.

WLR, I fully agree with you. Cannot understand why so rare thorough single versions's collections, with correct edits, are being released. I know lots of artists don't like those but it's like an insult to the listener who was hearing the on the radio or video. Besides it's just dumb - there's clearly a demand for such things, and yet they continue to push out the same old album versions! Idiotic.
Passing_Stranger
Room at the Top

Re: SHARE: 7" collections - Howard Jones

Postby Passing_Stranger » Mon Aug 08, 2022 5:26 am

I'm off this week for a holiday, so there'll be no updates for a couple of weeks. It doesn't mean I'm out of stuff, of course, the fun will resume in due course (though for some projects I'll be asking for the audience assistance :D ). Meanwhile here's another collection for you. I cannot call myself a dedicated fan of Howard Jones, he's quite an erratic artist for me, but the good stuff prevails (otherwise I'm not sure I'd be interested). I wanted to do such a collection for him for quite a long time but only recently got around to it. The basis for it is his outstanding 2-CD compilation "The very best of" (2003) which has almost all of his A-sides (bar occasional Top 10 hit substituted for some obscure LP track - a most logical choice, right?) and nearly all of corresponding B-sides. Wish there were more releases like that, but the labels don't seem to be interested. I also added the missing pieces, his early 1990s stuff is from CD singles (unbelievably rare!) and remasters (good ones that don't sound unacceptably loud). Overall, a neat collection that encompasses all of his 7" releases (there was trouble with his two (!) cancelled singles - HOW 16 and 17, but 17 actually received a release in Germany so I included it).

Link: https://mega.nz/folder/j91ygJTY#iy6EtuznrrcsgJnimUiYPQ

Enjoy!

P.S. By the way, anybody knows if an acoustic version of "Will you still be there?" (from the US 7" of 1987) is released on CD anywhere?
Passing_Stranger
Room at the Top

Postby retromusic » Mon Aug 08, 2022 11:46 am

Nice one, V. Appreciated :D
retromusic
Personal Jesus

Postby Fred Taghon » Mon Aug 08, 2022 3:01 pm

"Will You Still Be There (Instrumental)" is on the 2020 3cd "One To One" deluxe release

https://www.discogs.com/release/1475322 ... One-To-One

I think all the Cherry Red deluxe reissues sound fantastic, even better than his own remasters on Dtox.
Fred Taghon
The Jet Set

Postby WLR » Wed Aug 10, 2022 1:58 am

Passing_Stranger wrote:I'm off this week for a holiday, so there'll be no updates for a couple of weeks. It doesn't mean I'm out of stuff, of course, the fun will resume in due course (though for some projects I'll be asking for the audience assistance :D ). Meanwhile here's another collection for you. I cannot call myself a dedicated fan of Howard Jones, he's quite an erratic artist for me, but the good stuff prevails (otherwise I'm not sure I'd be interested). I wanted to do such a collection for him for quite a long time but only recently got around to it. The basis for it is his outstanding 2-CD compilation "The very best of" (2003) which has almost all of his A-sides (bar occasional Top 10 hit substituted for some obscure LP track - a most logical choice, right?) and nearly all of corresponding B-sides. Wish there were more releases like that, but the labels don't seem to be interested. I also added the missing pieces, his early 1990s stuff is from CD singles (unbelievably rare!) and remasters (good ones that don't sound unacceptably loud). Overall, a neat collection that encompasses all of his 7" releases (there was trouble with his two (!) cancelled singles - HOW 16 and 17, but 17 actually received a release in Germany so I included it).

Link: https://mega.nz/folder/j91ygJTY#iy6EtuznrrcsgJnimUiYPQ

Enjoy!

P.S. By the way, anybody knows if an acoustic version of "Will you still be there?" (from the US 7" of 1987) is released on CD anywhere?

Another fabulous 7 inch collection, thank you.
WLR
The Jet Set

Postby Gazebo Music » Wed Aug 10, 2022 6:54 pm

Very cool shares Passing Stranger! Thanks for taking the time to compile these! Maybe you could also add the track listings in the posts so once the links are gone the lists live on for reference! Cheers
Gazebo Music
Personal Jesus

Re: SHARE: 7" collections - Japan

Postby Passing_Stranger » Mon Aug 29, 2022 5:01 am

Hello-hello, I'm back again! :D Had a very pleasant holiday, and return recharged. Here's a new installment in the series. Japan's single edits are notoriously badly represented on CD, at least Virgin era stuff, which causes quite a few people much sadness. The wonderful Japanese once made a gift to all Japan fans releasing a 2-CD compilation called simply "The singles" that gathered all the Hansa stuff. I had Japan's 7" collection in mind for a very long time but this edit or that version were always missing. Only in the last couple of years I've been able to fill the gaps. So it's a cathartic experience of sorts :D I really like the results: all the correct versions are in place and the sound is quite consistent. Virgin stuff is evenly from CD and vinyl - "Exorcising ghosts" compilations was of help with some of that and other things came from other places. Here I'd like to gratefully mention the great blog "Rob's vinyl archive", the Japan section of which (https://robsvinylarchive.wordpress.com/ ... /07/japan/) helped with several bits (namely the "Canton" single and some B-sides). So finally the collection is complete for all to hear.

One more thing: cover art is in a rather bad shape in some places (surprisingly I had a hard time finding good quality scans, most of those I find look battered), if anyone can help with better scans please get in touch.

Link: https://mega.nz/folder/Oo8jiAKJ#PkLx2WDLZnB0e3Q2V1CP0Q

Enjoy!
Passing_Stranger
Room at the Top

Postby xymox970 » Mon Aug 29, 2022 1:45 pm

Thanks so much!
xymox970
The Jet Set

Postby crichert » Mon Aug 29, 2022 6:54 pm

Lovely share, thank you Passing Stranger!! :mrgreen:
crichert
Room at the Top

Postby Rissan » Tue Aug 30, 2022 2:34 am

THanks a lot. One of my all time fav. bands.
Rissan
The Jet Set

Postby WLR » Tue Aug 30, 2022 3:52 am

Excellent work again, this for me is an essential collection, so thank you.
WLR
The Jet Set

Postby Passing_Stranger » Tue Aug 30, 2022 2:32 pm

Thank you for your nice feedback, guys! Must admit, Japan were a hard sell for me - for a long time I was only able to enjoy the selected bits and pieces. Let's not beat around the bush, Sylvian's vocals repelled me, I couldn't understand such mannered delivery, saw no results for it. Also, the music was rather hard for my taste, too complicated. But bit by bit I started to get into it all, understand the approach and reasons underneath it. In the end I even learned to tolerate and even kinda like the singing - once you learn to hear it as another instrument everything else just drops into place :D I won't say they're suddenly among my favourite bands now but I can appreciate what they were trying to do and their artistic evolution is exemplary. Not for nothing they're among the most artistically influential bands ever. So I'm proud I was able to get their singles' stuff in one place, and actually couldn't wait to share it with you guys! :)
Passing_Stranger
Room at the Top

PreviousNext

Return to Obscure 80s Central