Site Announcements

View the results of the New Wave Outpost 20th Anniversary Top Songs Poll here:
http://www.nwoutpost.com/poll/results

Coming Soon: Top Albums Poll. Stay tuned!

Welcome to the new forum!
If you are a previously registered user, you must do the following:

1) Click on 'I forgot my password' at the login prompt
2) Enter your username and email you registered with and submit
3) You will receive an email with an activation link. Please click it and then log in using the random password provided
4) Go to your User Control Panel and click on the Profile tab
5) Click on 'Edit Account Settings' and enter your new password twice followed by the random password provided earlier. Click Submit.
6) That's it...you're back in! You may have to log in again with your new password.

If you forgot your email address, please email me (MikeP) at: mikepaulsen12@gmail.com

Note: you must now use bb code buttons in the Post form for embedded images, YouTube videos, etc.
For example, to post embedded YouTube videos: paste in the link (e.g., http://www.youtube.com/watch?XYZ1234567), highlight it and then click the YouTube button.

RECOIL reissues

RECOIL reissues

Postby Uvox » Wed Aug 10, 2022 5:46 am

Mute announces RECOIL reissue campaign, starting with the most recent albums.
"The first three albums, 1+2 (1986), Hydrology (1988) and Bloodline (1992) giving an indication of expanding horizons, are currently being remastered for release at a later date":

https://mute.com/recoil/recoil-announce ... t-reissues
Uvox
The Jet Set

Re: RECOIL reissues

Postby obs » Wed Aug 17, 2022 9:32 pm

Cool. I love Hydrology, and Bloodline has some nice tracks, as well.

I guess there wasn't much available to use as bonus material. Was there anything other than Faith Healer single(s)?
obs
Room at the Top

Postby discoginfo » Thu Aug 18, 2022 4:50 am

discoginfo
Room at the Top

Postby Glenn » Tue Aug 23, 2022 4:51 pm

obs wrote:Cool. I love Hydrology, and Bloodline has some nice tracks, as well.

I guess there wasn't much available to use as bonus material. Was there anything other than Faith Healer single(s)?

They definitely dropped the ball here in terms of bonus tracks. There are several on the singles that could have been included: https://www.discogs.com/artist/9542-Rec ... lter_anv=0
Glenn
Take On Me

Postby ABOATES » Wed Aug 31, 2022 11:46 am

Not to start anything, but I'll just briefly chime in that I've always thought that reissues were mainly to make out of print albums available again. Given that, I actually prefer there not to be bonus or live tracks added to an already existing album. If the label wants to put out other work that was recorded during the same sessions or time frame on a limited edition or something, I guess that's cool. But for the general rerelease, I prefer a copy of the original as close as possible in form, factor, and sound. This includes the remastering which to me usually sounds way worse that the original. An example would be the remastering of Dazzle Ships by OMD where they pumped up the bass drum to sound like a 2021 rap album. The drums on Dazzle Ships should sound small and thin because that is how the album was recorded and it represents a sound that was part of the charm in the first place. As I've noted before in these pages, I think I am a minority on quite a few things round here. I can't stand remixes, don't like dance music, and I still think Talk Talk's best work...by far...was Spirit of Eden and Laughing Stock. Colour of Spring is very good. It's My Life was OK. The Party's Over is not my cup of tea. :-)
ABOATES
Take On Me

Postby obs » Fri Sep 02, 2022 3:34 am

Re: Dazzleships
80s vinyl mastering, where the bass is mixed down so the needle doesn't jump out of the groove. I'm assuming that the original CDs weren't re-EQed to compensate.

I guess I'll pass on Recoil, seeing as I was only interested in the first two, and and was recently sent the the Faith Healer CD.
obs
Room at the Top

Postby ABOATES » Fri Sep 02, 2022 5:25 am

As soon as I start thinking about Recoil, I can't help but imagine how much better DM would have been the past 20 years if Alan had stayed. I will admit that Ultra was still a great album, but after that, for me, there are only a few songs here and there that I can even listen to. And this is coming from a diehard 80's owned every album/single/12" until Exciter fella. For me, DM's high point was Black Celebration or maybe Songs of Faith and Devotion...certainly that tour was the tops. I also think Some Great Reward was in the mix for their best work. I love Violator and Music for the Masses, but I don't find either of them as groundbreaking as those other three I just mentioned. Best electronic band of all-time...or maybe second best next to Kraftwerk...

Another random topic...don't you guys find it bizarre that so many important New Wave bands/artists are NOT in the Rock Hall of Fame?
I mean what the heck man..how can Brian Eno, Echo and the Bunnymen, The Damned, Devo, Bill Nelson, The Residents, XTC, Talk Talk, Interpol, Tears for Fears, Human League...etc. etc. etc. not be in the hall of fame? Not like it matters anyway, but I think the rock HoF is a complete and total joke. :-)
ABOATES
Take On Me

Return to News, Reissues & Compilations