Site Announcements
Congratulations to
mskremember
mskremember

View the results of the New Wave Outpost 20th Anniversary Top Songs Poll here:
http://www.nwoutpost.com/poll/results

Coming Soon: Top Albums Poll. Stay tuned!

Welcome to the new forum!
If you are a previously registered user, you must do the following:

1) Click on 'I forgot my password' at the login prompt
2) Enter your username and email you registered with and submit
3) You will receive an email with an activation link. Please click it and then log in using the random password provided
4) Go to your User Control Panel and click on the Profile tab
5) Click on 'Edit Account Settings' and enter your new password twice followed by the random password provided earlier. Click Submit.
6) That's it...you're back in! You may have to log in again with your new password.

If you forgot your email address, please email me (MikeP) at: mikepaulsen12@gmail.com

Note: you must now use bb code buttons in the Post form for embedded images, YouTube videos, etc.
For example, to post embedded YouTube videos: paste in the link (e.g., http://www.youtube.com/watch?XYZ1234567), highlight it and then click the YouTube button.

Bauhaus Reunited & touring

Post past and present concert & album reviews and interviews.

Postby goutroy » Wed Oct 26, 2005 3:27 am

[quote][i]Originally posted by schwenko[/i]
<br>[quote][i]Originally posted by goutroy[/i]
<br>[quote][i]Originally posted by schwenko[/i]
<br>[quote][i]Originally posted by goutroy[/i]
<br>I'm seeing them next Tuesday at the Warfield in SF. Of course, I found out that a bunch of my friends are going on Wednesday after I got my ticket...

[/quote]

Are tickets for this show still available? What time is the show?
I'll be in town that night!
[/quote]

Yeah, I think they're still available. My friend just bought one yesterday.
[/quote]

I've walked by the Warfield a few times the last 3 days. I'll try to get a ticklet tomorrow (Tuesday). Want to meet somewhere beforehand?
[/quote]

Dammit! I wish I'd logged on yesterday. You could have met my friend and I for some cheap-o Vietnamese food beforehand. Anyway, like Schwenko, I'm not overly familiar with their work (I have all albums on mp3, but I don't know the names of most of their songs). but it was a great show overall. The light show was pretty impressive, they sounded very fresh, and they played everything I wanted to hear(although seriously... 3 encores? We don't need all that. Just play straight on through. Unless you end the show on some obscure B Side, or non-single, or a cover, it's pretty damn obvious that you guys are gonna come back out eventually and play Bela Lugosi's Dead.) But that part aside, it was great. This really is proving to be the year tha the 80s are coming back, and actually doing it quite well!
goutroy
Personal Jesus

Postby schwenko » Wed Oct 26, 2005 3:50 pm

didn't mean to post the same message 3 times, but I didn't realize it had gone through at at all (was getting the OLE timeout thing)
Next time goutroy!
BTW, I was in the furthest seat from the stage, but could see very well (great sightlines) and the sound was OK
schwenko
Room at the Top

Postby schwenko » Thu Oct 27, 2005 12:48 pm

schwenko
Room at the Top

Postby design_femme » Wed Nov 16, 2005 8:55 am

Saw them Sunday… oh, the majestic band that be Bauhaus!

Let me tell you, I don't want to call them goth because they are so much more than that. I think they're a bit punk, glam, a bit metal, a bit… funky? Of course, goth with songs like "Bela" you cannot dismiss the goth tag. But how many goth bands have a guitarist who will totally funk out on his sax? [:D]

Peter Murphy: looking older, acting mellower, but nevertheless still has THE voice. Y'know. The one that sounds rich and robust one minute and then is sneering the next. Even though he wasn't dancing around a whole lot, he still had presence. A bit of a swagger, and even a good high kick during "Kick In the Eye."

Daniel Ash: Rock god. This man hasn't aged a bit. He clearly LOVES playing guitar and LOVES playing the rock star. Down on his knees at some point, moving all around the stage, decked out in leather pants and huge Frankenstein shoes, and just doing what he does best: making his guitar stutter, snarl, and sing shrill notes.

David J.: Cool and aloof, behind trademark shades. His restrained nature is totally offset by his manic bass playing. Bauhaus' website intro starts off by saying, "seismic rumbles." Now I know what they mean. I was expecting fissures in the venue walls due to David's bass playing.

Kevin Haskins: Another one who hasn't aged either. (Okay, maybe they are vampires or something?) But who knew that such a sweet-faced man could bash the hell out of his drums. Very tight, very good. Loved that he turned the originally acoustic "Slice of Life" into something fast and furious.

I loved the show. My only complaint was everything seemed a bit louder than necessary, but that may be my age showing. The song list was amazing; they played a lot of tracks that I didn't expect ("Swing The Heartache", "Slice of Life") which was such a treat. This was my first Bauhaus show, and I'm so glad I had this opportunity to see them.
design_femme
Room at the Top

Postby Frau_Blucher » Wed Nov 16, 2005 10:20 am

Soooooo jealous. Thanks for the report femme.
Frau_Blucher
Room at the Top

Postby cubby » Thu Nov 17, 2005 9:14 am

Yeah, I saw them in NYC this past Saturday. This was my second time around and they were great as usual. Though Peter is a little bit more subdued this time. Not much running around. His voice though is as strong as ever. Nice selection of songs. Though the big suprise was that they didn't play "Bela Lugosi's Dead". Their final encore was "Double Dare" instead. That upset quite a bit of the crowd.
cubby
The Jet Set

Postby design_femme » Thu Nov 17, 2005 9:18 am

wow, I'm actually surprised that they didn't do "Bela." Huh.

Honestly, "Bela" is not even a favorite of mine by them. I would have preferred a closer like "Dark Entries" (just like on the [i]Press the Eject[/i] album). But yeah, they are great no matter what songs they do!
design_femme
Room at the Top

Postby Ape Module » Thu Nov 17, 2005 2:13 pm

Wish I could have seen this. I saw Peter Murphy solo (which was embarrassingly bad) and Love and Rockets (which was pretty righteous)but never the 'Haus.

Oh yeah-- On "Press the Eject"-- I had that on cassette way back in the day and I remember crashing out to it one night and drifting off...only to be awakened with a start a few minutes later with that bit of speech at the end (after a few mins of silence.)I had never noticed it on there before.

Anyone ever get that experience?
Ape Module
Personal Jesus

Postby design_femme » Fri Nov 18, 2005 8:18 am

oh I totally forgot about that! I didn't discover that bit at the end until much later, when I just happened to have left the tape running.
design_femme
Room at the Top

Previous

Return to Concert & Album Reviews / Interviews