Site Announcements

View the results of the New Wave Outpost 20th Anniversary Top Songs Poll here:
http://www.nwoutpost.com/poll/results

Coming Soon: Top Albums Poll. Stay tuned!

Welcome to the new forum!
If you are a previously registered user, you must do the following:

1) Click on 'I forgot my password' at the login prompt
2) Enter your username and email you registered with and submit
3) You will receive an email with an activation link. Please click it and then log in using the random password provided
4) Go to your User Control Panel and click on the Profile tab
5) Click on 'Edit Account Settings' and enter your new password twice followed by the random password provided earlier. Click Submit.
6) That's it...you're back in! You may have to log in again with your new password.

If you forgot your email address, please email me (MikeP) at: mikepaulsen12@gmail.com

Note: you must now use bb code buttons in the Post form for embedded images, YouTube videos, etc.
For example, to post embedded YouTube videos: paste in the link (e.g., http://www.youtube.com/watch?XYZ1234567), highlight it and then click the YouTube button.

Depeche Mode - Ghosts Again of course

Depeche Mode - Ghosts Again of course

Postby ABOATES » Sun Feb 12, 2023 10:51 am

Surprised no mention of the new Depeche Mode track yet...? I quite like it. I catch a bit of a Precious and/or Enjoy the Silence vibe.
Haven't bought a DM album since Ultra. That may change if the rest of the album is this good.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iIyrLRixMs8
ABOATES
Take On Me

Re: Depeche Mode - Ghosts Again of course

Postby Fred Taghon » Mon Feb 13, 2023 8:47 am

I like it too! It's certainly not reinventing the wheel, but in my opinion, it's a solid single, and the first opening single since 2005's "Precious" to actually get me excited about a new DM album. Though, I did like "Going Backwards", but that was the 2nd single from "Spirit".

I do kinda wish Anton would retire the black/white/red motif or step aside for someone else to direct the band aesthetics.
Fred Taghon
The Jet Set

Postby WLR » Tue Feb 14, 2023 8:48 am

What a breath of fresh air after the diabolical "Spirit" album, defintely hints of "Precious" and more electronic.
WLR
The Jet Set

Postby Paulie » Fri Feb 17, 2023 9:21 am

I have to be honest... I'd totally given up on Depeche Mode. But I absolutely adore 'Ghosts Again'. Hoping for some faithful remixes, especially an extended version. Whatever, I'm 100% back on board :)
Paulie
Take On Me

Postby ABOATES » Fri Mar 24, 2023 4:37 am

Well, upon first listen I am sad to report the new DM album sounds to my ears exactly like every other DM album over the past 15 years...half-baked, overly simple, lacking in depth, and cliché'.
The reviewers calling it a return to form and/or reminiscent of Black Celebration are either on crack or the take.
It sounds like a mixture of the last album, Spirit and Exciter to me. Borderline unlistenable...Some may like it (I Guess), but I don't. I'll just play Black Celebration, then Some Great Reward and finish up w Violator and be happy. "-)
ABOATES
Take On Me

Postby Uvox » Fri Mar 24, 2023 6:11 am

This new album leaked a week ago, and we all thought it was a bunch of demos)))) so poor is arrangement, as if recorded in a hurry....
Uvox
The Jet Set

Postby ABOATES » Fri Mar 24, 2023 9:38 am

I agree. In particular the drum programming seems very basic. Some tracks sound like a little Casio toy keyboard or one of those old home organs from the 1970's w a Bossa Nova beat. They totally sound like demos to function as a metronome for sketching out a song. I guess they bring to mind Sounds of the Universe. So far removed from the intricacies of tracks like Stripped, Blasphemous Rumours, Policy of Truth, or In Your Room. The sparse/minimalist thing works if the basic structure of the track is great on it's own. Artists such as Sufjan Stevens (Carrie and Lowell) or Hayden Thorpe (Moondust for My Diamond) come to mind. They know how to write amazing lo-fi electronic songs that work because the original idea is superb. As much as I hate to say it, I am not sure either member of DM know how to write great pop songs anymore. The last music I enjoyed from them was Ultra. Well, and Martin Gore's 2nd Counterfeit album. Ghosts Again did have me feeling somewhat optimistic for this album. Kind've how Precious did a while back. But alas, just as Precious was, Ghosts Again is BY FAR the best track on MM.
ABOATES
Take On Me

Postby Fred Taghon » Fri Mar 24, 2023 11:57 am

So when is the actual release date for the USA? I'm never sure these days.
Fred Taghon
The Jet Set

Postby ABOATES » Fri Mar 24, 2023 2:28 pm

Today
ABOATES
Take On Me

Postby omar » Fri Mar 24, 2023 11:06 pm

Not as good as some of their other albums but better than the last two (Delta machine) and (Spirit).
omar
Room at the Top

Postby ABOATES » Sat Mar 25, 2023 5:00 am

Besides the drum programming, I think the biggest disappointment w DM is their lack of compelling choruses. I mean the 2nd track's chorus is literally Gahan just repeating "watch another angel die" over and over. No build up, no subtle shifts in word inflection, no changes in length...nothing...it's just the bridge...da da da da...then he says "watch another angel die"...then back to the bridge. The listener knows the full breadth of the track after 45 seconds...no surprises, no variations...rinse and repeat. Next track...same basic layout except instead of "watch another angel die" it's "So don't say you love me Cause you'll never love me"...then right back to the bridge...ugh...
ABOATES
Take On Me

Postby Fred Taghon » Sat Mar 25, 2023 9:15 am

omar wrote:Not as good as some of their other albums but better than the last two (Delta machine) and (Spirit).

I hope this is true for me when I finally hear it. There were a few good songs on each of those albums but they are probably my least favorite Mode albums. Everything from 1981-1997 is in the top half and everything from 2001-whenever Spirit came out is in the bottom half for me. 2 distinctly different levels of quality. I'll always be a fan, I just don't expect AMAZING things from them at this stage in the game. Which is fine... The first 9 albums were all fantastic in their own ways. Not many artists ever obtain that.

So yesterday I went to our local music store chain in the mall here in northern Michigan and they didn't have it and the gal working there didn't even know who they were!
Fred Taghon
The Jet Set

Postby ABOATES » Sat Mar 25, 2023 10:22 am

That's what social media has done to the youth. Some have heard of them now due to Never Let Me Down Again being used in some TV show recently. Otherwise, if you aren't on Tik Tok, no one under age 20 knows who you are.
ABOATES
Take On Me

Postby Fred Taghon » Sat Mar 25, 2023 9:43 pm

ABOATES wrote:That's what social media has done to the youth. Some have heard of them now due to Never Let Me Down Again being used in some TV show recently. Otherwise, if you aren't on Tik Tok, no one under age 20 knows who you are.

Lol well I guess that ALSO works both ways, since I have no clue in the universe who anyone on TikTok is, and I couldn't care less hehe.
Fred Taghon
The Jet Set

Postby Uvox » Sun Mar 26, 2023 1:14 am

ABOATES wrote:That's what social media has done to the youth. Some have heard of them now due to Never Let Me Down Again being used in some TV show recently. Otherwise, if you aren't on Tik Tok, no one under age 20 knows who you are.

Totally opposite for the youngsters beyond the former iron curtain!!!)))
I understand how our generation, who heard SPEAK AND SPELL first in the year of its release, loves this band, and I still wonder how youngsters 15-25 yo still treat the band as the cult one. It is still the religion here!!! They have dozens of forums discussing their music, annual mass gatherings in major cities on May 8, Dave birthday(?), all fans clad in leather jackets and Dave's 80ies haircut, tribute parties throughout synth music clubs with dozens of tribute bands playing their hits, and so on. Every DM tour visiting Russian cities was the utmost celebration for them all.
Uvox
The Jet Set

Next

Return to News, Reissues & Compilations